Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Versa Note S Plus. It has a tiny 10.9 gallon gas tank, resulting in frequent gas station visits and constantly getting under 1/2 or 1/4 tank full. I have already run out of gas one time, on the freeway no less; luckily I was near an offramp going downhill and there was a gas station nearby. I was able to push my car to the gas station with help from some good Samaritans.

Anyways, from what I found on the internet and YouTube, it is not as simple as swapping out my stock gas tank with a larger gas tank. The larger gas tank would need to fit around the exhaust piping, spare tire, rear suspension, frame, etc. The larger gas tank would need to be custom-built to fit. There doesn't seem to be anyone who mass-produces larger gas tanks for Versa Notes at an affordable price.

Am I wrong? Is there hope for my desire for a larger gas tank? I sure hope so!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Did your car come with a fuel gauge?? If your fuel gauge is operational, running out of gas is not the fault of a small tank, its the fault of the operator of the car.

The Note offers several distinguishing features; one of those is its gas mileage. The 2014 Nissan Versa Note is rated at 35 mpg combined (31 mpg city, 40 mpg highway).Aug 26, 2013

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand the gas tank issue. You're right, you do get good gas mileage, but with a 10 gallon tank, you can't go far on a tank of gas. By the way... that post was very condescending. I just joined this forum, I hope that's not typical of the way people handle questions on here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Far is relative. I can go 600 in my truck. If I get 380 miles on a tank of gas, it will last me 4 days. Thats a lot of trips to the gas station. My truck will make it almost twice as long. Its a small gas tank.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I understand the gas tank issue. You're right, you do get good gas mileage, but with a 10 gallon tank, you can't go far on a tank of gas. By the way... that post was very condescending. I just joined this forum, I hope that's not typical of the way people handle questions on here.
The guy is complaining about running out of gas as if it is the cars fault. Just stating the simple facts.................if you don't look at the fuel gauge DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT RUNNING OUT OF GAS!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
His complaint was about wanting a bigger gas tank. Thats what his question was too. Running out of gas was an arbitrary detail. I dont think he was blaming the car or the gas tank for running out of gas. He was looking for a solution. Much like a solution to your pants not fitting, would be to buy a new pair of pants.
If he came in and said, "These pants aren't fitting me anymore. Ive already had trouble buttoning them a couple of times. Does anyone know where to get this type of pants that will fit?" Would you say, "Its not your pants fault. You have to watch the size of your belly."? Probably not... You would give him a solution and tell him where to go.

This car has a tiny gas tank. Its roughly 1/2 the size of any car I've ever had. For it to equate to the other cars I've owned, it would need to get double the gas mileage, which isn't the case. With this car, you will be doing more stops at a gas station, but it won't cost much to fill up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Much like a solution to your pants not fitting, would be to buy a new pair of pants.
This is not apples to apples comparison, swapping gas tanks is a bit more involved than changing pants.

If he came in and said, "These pants aren't fitting me anymore. Ive already had trouble buttoning them a couple of times. Does anyone know where to get this type of pants that will fit?" Would you say, "Its not your pants fault. You have to watch the size of your belly."?
It could be a very good solution to that particular problem... :)

You would give him a solution and tell him where to go.
Actually, pimperell already gave the solution: Watch the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I owned a Grand Am, that was only a 15 gal. tank with a v6 that was only getting about 24mpg combined.
Talk about frequent gas stops!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So... this is why i don't do these stupid forums. You men with your egos try to be funny and turn out to be jerks. All he was asking about was about the gas tank being swapped Nothing to do with the fuel gauge. If you're not going to answer the question, don't answer it. People don't come on here for people to tell them to watch the gauge. Don't start lecturing people like you're their parent. It was a lame attempt at belittlement.

And... its not apples to oranges. If you can't see the similarities, pay more attention and open your eyes. Swapping a gas tank would be like giving a fully detailed diet plan. Telling them to watch the fuel gauge is like telling him to get bigger pants or not eat the piece of cake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I owned a Grand Am, that was only a 15 gal. tank with a v6 that was only getting about 24mpg combined.
Talk about frequent gas stops!
Thats about what this is. I get 38mpg on a 10 gallon tank. Thats 380 miles. Your Grand Am with a 15 gallon tank, getting 24 mpg is 360 miles on a full tank. Not much different.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thats about what this is. I get 38mpg on a 10 gallon tank. Thats 380 miles. Your Grand Am with a 15 gallon tank, getting 24 mpg is 360 miles on a full tank. Not much different.

Getting the gas tank swapped is a definitely a big one. You also need to find a gas tank that is compatible with the car, assuming there is one.

He might have another solution....I have a friend in Spain that usually goes to the Sahara desert with the 4x4. You should see the car....amazing.
He had the same issue, he needed a bigger gas tank to be "safe" while cruising the desert, but what he did was to add another smaller one to the existing one, to have a bigger total capacity.

I'm not sure this can be done on a Versa (maybe in the spare tire room?), or if it's even worth it....but if you find someone with the right skills...why not?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would think it would not be worth the hassle. I mean how much bigger could you go? I remember my farm equipment and truck always had an extra tank somewhere, but it was like an extra gallons or more.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would think it would not be worth the hassle. I mean how much bigger could you go? I remember my farm equipment and truck always had an extra tank somewhere, but it was like an extra gallons or more.
exactly, I wouldn't think it's worth it (at least to me).

But hey, if he wants to add capacity...this could be an option. It's his decision anyway. My friend was able to add a 3 gallons one, which is decent :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sure the designers/ engineers would have made it bigger if possible. I have no idea whatvthe capacity is on similar sized cards.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, of course...this would be contemplated as a custom mod.

I have 2012 HB, I think it's 13.2 gallons.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm sure the designers/ engineers would have made it bigger if possible. I have no idea whatvthe capacity is on similar sized cards.
I had a 93 and a 97 Geo Metro. They were both 10 and some change.

·
Registered
429 Posts
So... this is why i don't do these stupid forums. You men with your egos try to be funny and turn out to be jerks. All he was asking about was about the gas tank being swapped Nothing to do with the fuel gauge. If you're not going to answer the question, don't answer it. People don't come on here for people to tell them to watch the gauge. Don't start lecturing people like you're their parent. It was a lame attempt at belittlement.

And... its not apples to oranges. If you can't see the similarities, pay more attention and open your eyes. Swapping a gas tank would be like giving a fully detailed diet plan. Telling them to watch the fuel gauge is like telling him to get bigger pants or not eat the piece of cake.
I won't argue anything.
The only options would be either try to adapt a Sentra, Cube, or Juke tank, or custom.
Even then, you are only going to get at most 3 gallons
One could add a fuel cell in the hatch, but at the expense of cargo room and having gas inside the car.

Personally, I think the costs involved would far outweigh any gains to capacity.

Reactions: pimperell
1 - 20 of 34 Posts