Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'd like to use this cable, which has an input voltage of 8 V to 58 V and an output of 5 V at 500 mA.

To connect a Garmin GPS to my dash on a switched fuse, so it only powers up when the engine is on. I'm looking to get away from using a cable from the cigarette lighter, it creates clutter.

Where should I wire the +ve / ground to? Are there any safety considerations I need to make? I'm asking for switched to avoid battery drain.

That's all I know to ask, so if there are other considerations please let me know.

·
Registered
504 Posts
why don't you look on eBay for this 999Q5-GU012 kit? There are two available right now for 20$ plus shipping....if your garmin is compatible this is the way to go because you install it factory.

I did it this way on mine, works great and it looks nice even when not in use. Let me know if you need help.

Here is the installation guide.

LINK

Even if you don't want to buy it, you can use this guide to wire it correctly with your own hardware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why don't you look on eBay for this 999Q5-GU012 kit? There are two available right now for 20$ plus shipping....if your garmin is compatible this is the way to go because you install it factory.

I did it this way on mine, works great and it looks nice even when not in use. Let me know if you need help.

Here is the installation guide.

LINK

Even if you don't want to buy it, you can use this guide to wire it correctly with your own hardware.
Thanks, these instructions are useful for the wiring.
Given I've already got the satnav unit I think it's wasteful to buy another unit. I will buy the wiring I linked to, then use these instructions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks, these instructions are useful for the wiring.
Given I've already got the satnav unit I think it's wasteful to buy another unit. I will buy the wiring I linked to, then use these instructions.
the unit is not included in the kit, just the wiring and the mounting base.
It depends if your Garmin is compatible with the base or not :)

If it's not just use the guide and wire it as suggested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the unit is not included in the kit, just the wiring and the mounting base.
It depends if your Garmin is compatible with the base or not :)

If it's not just use the guide and wire it as suggested.
hi

okay to update this thread, I've bought the below 12v input 5v output USB adapter to patch into my fuse box:
Ac adapter Adapter Cable Audio equipment Gadget

To replace this cigarette charger, which has 5v / 1A output:
Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Font Gadget Rectangle

This is my in-car fuse box, with empty slots highlighted:

Automotive lighting Shelving Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Here is an example of the fuse itself:

Colorfulness Rectangle Art paint Paint Orange

Looks like a low-profile mini fuse to me:
Font Violet Magenta Rectangle Parallel

Am I right in thinking I can:

1. purchase a fuse tap like this:]
Composite material Engineering Electronics accessory Cable Auto part

2. figure out the "hot" side of the fuse and put it in the right way round into the tap
3. put the tap into the slot
4. put the red wire from the power adapter mentioned at the start of this post into the fuse tap, put the black wire onto the chassis to ground

Would really appreciate comments on the above plan.

I'm also still very confused about:

1. can I just use an empty slot?
2. are all these cabin fuses only powered on once the key is in and turned to the first "level" (I believe this is "on" but not yet at "ignition").

Fuse box diagram / info: ᐅ Nissan Note (2013 - 2018) Fuse Box Diagram 🔧

If any of the above is unclear please just ask, I'll do my best to supply more information.

Hopefully someone will see this post and see I've gone to a fair bit of effort and help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi

okay to update this thread, I've bought the below 12v input 5v output USB adapter to patch into my fuse box:
View attachment 18678
To replace this cigarette charger, which has 5v / 1A output:
View attachment 18680

This is my in-car fuse box, with empty slots highlighted:

View attachment 18679

Here is an example of the fuse itself:

View attachment 18682

Looks like a low-profile mini fuse to me:
View attachment 18683

Am I right in thinking I can:

1. purchase a fuse tap like this:]
View attachment 18684
2. figure out the "hot" side of the fuse and put it in the right way round into the tap
3. put the tap into the slot
4. put the red wire from the power adapter mentioned at the start of this post into the fuse tap, put the black wire onto the chassis to ground

Would really appreciate comments on the above plan.

I'm also still very confused about:

1. can I just use an empty slot?
2. are all these cabin fuses only powered on once the key is in and turned to the first "level" (I believe this is "on" but not yet at "ignition").

Fuse box diagram / info: ᐅ Nissan Note (2013 - 2018) Fuse Box Diagram 🔧

If any of the above is unclear please just ask, I'll do my best to supply more information.

Hopefully someone will see this post and see I've gone to a fair bit of effort and help!
Reporting back in. I used a fuse tap, used a multimeter to figure out the load side and which fuses came on when the ignition key was on / off, then simply fed the wire through and down to the fuse box. The one error I made was having my multimeter connecting out of COM instead of 10A when testing. I got an immediate spark when testing from fuse to ground, went online, found my error. Luckily the fuse wasn't damaged, though I did have replacements at hand.

My satnav now turns on when I switch the ignition on, the wires are far tidier and it's just one less thing to faff with before setting off. Well worth the small effort and I learned something along the way.

So far so good. Hope this thread helps someone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts