Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went into local shop and asked some questions. Keep in mind I have not been into car audio in a serious manner since 1996.
I am going to keep the SL head unit, with 6 disc changer and steering wheel controls.
I want to try something small first. So I told install guy.
" I want 1 10, mounted in a small box in the foot well back passenger side.
Small space to work with..
15" x 13.5" by 6" or so.
going to replace front components. [6.5 mid and 1" tweet]
so will have mids and tweets and 1 10" sub. running of a 5 channel amp.
they will custom make a box for sub. and tune the port. then install amp under passenger seat. pull 6.5 mid's and tweets. line the front and rear doors. and finish install. should take 1 day.

I am excited.
will be a nice high end system, but simple and low rms wattage.
in the end no one will be able to tell by looking around car. only room I lose is passenger rear foot well which I do not use for passengers.

Meow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
subs

well there are a couple options. Pioneer makes a couple slim subs.
but looking @ JL Audio. or perhaps Rockford PS 8" sub.
I like 8" subs. but I also like 10" subs.

did you have suggestions?
install will be perhaps this month if not able to fit me in then first week of Jan.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have an 8" in my trunk, and its good, but its not really enough to make a huge difference. My door speakers provide enough bass that I wouldn't even need the sub. I would really suggest getting a 10 or 12. It's good, but really wasn't worth it, my two cents. and no, im not looking for anything to pound down the street in, just something a little deeper and louder. I did adjust the amp so the speakers would do mid to high only, plus the speakers werent getting so low on full, they sounded like they were at there peak, and it didnt sound good, and its still alot of bass. I even adjusted the amp so it wouldn't go that low, but it just didn't sound good that way either. The sub didnt provide enough bass, and the mids weren't that great. So I turned the htz back to 80.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thats 150RMS, and I have a kicker TCVT8 that puts out 200RMS, and its still not that great. My amp puts 250RMS to it. Now im not all that into car setups, but this is my first, and im still learning as I go. But from what I hear in my own car, id prolly go with a 10. But you know what you want, and other people know more than what I know. So its whatever. I also have the sedan, but I dont know if that makes a difference. The 8 is just to sharp and tight. I need something just a tad looser, but still keep the sharp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd opt for a 10 as well, but you'll need a bigger box if you want to port it. Since you have a hatchback, why not put in back there? I think a sub sitting out on the floor might be too tempting for some of the felons walking around.

There are also a lot of options if you go with fiberglass. Either side off the hatch and possibly the the front part of the front passenger side footwell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8's or 10's

well to be honest back in early 90's I used to install my own systems.
was something to do to stay out of trouble.

So back then I had a lot of systems. many 8's 10"12"15"s I even had a system that ran 1 18" sub for a bit.
I have been away from the scene since say 1996.
So this will be me getting my feet wet again so to speak, and I am looking forward to it.
I think a 8 in a sealed box on floor behind passenger seat will work great in a Veresa. The fun for me is experimenting. So we will try a sealed 8 first. then perhaps a ported 8. Shop wants to try a ported box tuned to 38 Hz. we shall see and i will of course keep you posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
floor box.

I think the box will fire down, it will have 1/4 or 1/2 legs to hold it off the floor. it will be carpeted to match my carpet, and it will be made to fit perfectly into that area. so even when you look in the window, 99.9% of people would not realize, they are not seeing an empty space there as they will on drivers side, because of the hum... put a couple items on floor behind drivers seat. perhaps a ball cap and a t shirt on the back seat, they will be drawn to look at everything except the passenger rear floor well.. we shall call this an experiment. hiding in plain site...

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want an 8, that is badass all the way around, from great SQ, to a single 8 hitting 150db being burped, Sundown SA-8. They run about $140 for an 8, and they are AMAZING. I bought a single 12, and once I pick up my new car, im selling the 12 for a pair of 8s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.