Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a takeda short ram intake for my 2011 nissan versa 1.8l sedan. I see that many others have done it but can't seem to find a video on how to install it. The part I am confused on is where to plug the mass air flow sensor in at. I don't want to make a purchase without knowing how to plug that in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why are you swapping out your CAI? The factory CAI usually has the best design as the have CAD/CAM capability during the design process. I'm not a big proponent of aftermarket CAIs for Nissans as most just change the sound, but have no tangible performance benefits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You unscrew the sensor off and then screw it onto the tekeda short ram intake. Very easy. Took me like 45 minutes to install the whole thing. And I LOVE IT

·
Registered
8 Posts
The sound it makes. Its like installing an exhaust without actually doing anything to it. I have a video of me flooring it with only the intake on. It won't let me insert it. I'd be more than happy to send it to you if you give me an email or a phone number.

Its not loud if you're just cruising or not giving gas. It's only loud if you are really giving it gas. But like I said I'd be more than happy to send you the video because I'm very satisfied with it. Definitely worth the money and is super easy to install. (Comes with instructions)

·
Registered
8 Posts
While its not gonna give you BIG performance gains it feels a little more zippy but maybe thats just me wanting it to be faster because of the sound. Theres a video out there showing that it only gives you like a 2-4hp gain. But I still love it. Good buy if you don't want your neighbors to hate you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
While its not gonna give you BIG performance gains it feels a little more zippy but maybe thats just me wanting it to be faster because of the sound. Theres a video out there showing that it only gives you like a 2-4hp gain. But I still love it. Good buy if you don't want your neighbors to hate you.
Do you realize that your ECM is programmed to ignore any extra airflow and will not provide any extra performance? Without a dyno and a tune, a CAI will not do anything for your Versa other than change the sound slightly. Glad you like the sound, but don't believe any ads saying it will provide 2-4 HP gains. Without a tune, those are simply false advertising in my book.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I mean they did show a dyno run but I do agree with you. I wasn't really looking to increase power just sound. I don't wanna piss my neighbors off but I want my car to be louder so this just makes it fun to drive. But I'm not gonna pay for a dyno run and tune just to get 5 hp. Not worth another $400 BUT I'm still satisfied and think its worth the purchase. But again if you want a sound clip I'd be more than happy to send it to you. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, your economy versa ecm won’t “ignore” airflow. That’s not how it works. Bolting a supercharger on a versa increased power by a huge margin and by that logic the ecm would have ignored the extra air flow. Increasing flow (“freeing up hp”) with exhaust and intake will add performance, and they have literally dyno’d before and after a takeda showing a five horsepower gain. A BRM exhaust can show up to 6-8. I’ve never seen both used on a dyno but assume you’d be at 10. To properly utilize both of them to 100% of their potential, yes you’d need a tune. But if you want 10 hp for up to $800 then go for it.
Side note:
The Versa has absolutely terrible throttle response and makes shifting clumsy and ill timed, an intake can shorten this dramatically. I would spend the $300 just for that

·
Registered
132 Posts
First off, your economy versa ecm won’t “ignore” airflow. That’s not how it works. Bolting a supercharger on a versa increased power by a huge margin and by that logic the ecm would have ignored the extra air flow. Increasing flow (“freeing up hp”) with exhaust and intake will add performance, and they have literally dyno’d before and after a takeda showing a five horsepower gain. A BRM exhaust can show up to 6-8. I’ve never seen both used on a dyno but assume you’d be at 10. To properly utilize both of them to 100% of their potential, yes you’d need a tune. But if you want 10 hp for up to $800 then go for it.
Side note:
The Versa has absolutely terrible throttle response and makes shifting clumsy and ill timed, an intake can shorten this dramatically. I would spend the $300 just for that
We disagree on this and citing super/turbocharging adds an entirely different dimension to this discussion of a single CAI. Small changes in airflow won't get the ECM to add HP. Dyno testing on my 350Z SCCA racecar demonstrates this to my satisfaction. I've heard from other Nissan racers that this is the same for a single mod like a CAI that the general public thinks will increase output. If you have any dyno info that refutes this, please post it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Once in closed loop, the ecm will adjust fuel delivery plus/minus about 25% based on what the a/f sensor is reading. That's in closed loop. Different manufacturers run in open loop in different situations. One of them for Nissans is WOT. The ecm ignores the a/f input and just runs preset rich value.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts