Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the time has come for my first oil change.

The car has 3300 miles on it. So far I haven't had any problems with it other than the radiator going out at 600 mi.

I'm having them check the a/c charge because it doesn't seem to get as cold after the radiator was replaced. (I don't think they recharged it)

And also having them fix the rattling noise. I believe its coming from the timing chain or something on the front of the motor but I will find out this thursday.

Hopefully all goes well and they fix it quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Goodluck! I'm surprised this is the first oil change. I feel like you have been around for awhile.

My AC was never great in the V but last year I had to refill it and again this year. Next year I'm going to actually diagnose the issue. I'm thinking I have a bad 0-ring somewhere.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Enjoy! I can't stand my local Nissan dealer and wont ever be going back other than warranty work.

When they replaced your radiator there should not have been any reason to recharge it. The A/C is a sealed system and it is illegal to openly vent the R-134A in the atmosphere.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enjoy! I can't stand my local Nissan dealer and wont ever be going back other than warranty work.

When they replaced your radiator there should not have been any reason to recharge it. The A/C is a sealed system and it is illegal to openly vent the R-134A in the atmosphere.
Im fully aware of how a/c systems work. I'm EPA universally certified (type 1, 2, and 3) to work on a/c systems. When you replace the radiator you seal the r-134 off in the high side of the system then evac the remaining in the condenser. If they didn't refill after the evac then it would be slightly low. I mean they didn't even top off the radiator after replacing it they just reused the coolant that was still in it.

My local dealer has been very good so far..i hope it stays that way because i will be there worst nightmare lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
Im fully aware of how a/c systems work. I'm EPA universally certified (type 1, 2, and 3) to work on a/c systems. When you replace the radiator you seal the r-134 off in the high side of the system then evac the remaining in the condenser. If they didn't refill after the evac then it would be slightly low. I mean they didn't even top off the radiator after replacing it they just reused the coolant that was still in it.

My local dealer has been very good so far..i hope it stays that way because i will be there worst nightmare lol
Unless this vehicle has some sort of odd setup, I dont understand why the A/C system has to be touched at all when replacing the radiator. Why would you ever have to evac or block off an A/C line while replacing a radiator? They are two completely seperate systems with no relation.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
maybe he meant the condenser and not the radiator.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No they replaced the radiator but sometimes the a/c lines go around the radiator so they have to be taken off to remove the radiator.

The radiator, fan, and condenser are all installed at the same time then the lines hooked up and the system charged. Idk if the lines needed to be disconnected or not I didn't take that close of a look.

All i'm saying is that the a/c deosnt work as well as when I got the car. Even going 70 down the highway my head is still warm from the air in the top of the car

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
jswilson if you figure it out let me know! My 09 is same way. The ac was weak new but it's even worse now and I need to top off the r134a every year. I know I shouldn't do that :D.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will. i just cant figure out why the a/c is so weak our 2011 galant will freeze you nuts off and the versa barely takes the heat away

·
Registered
440 Posts
No they replaced the radiator but sometimes the a/c lines go around the radiator so they have to be taken off to remove the radiator.

The radiator, fan, and condenser are all installed at the same time then the lines hooked up and the system charged. Idk if the lines needed to be disconnected or not I didn't take that close of a look.

All i'm saying is that the a/c deosnt work as well as when I got the car. Even going 70 down the highway my head is still warm from the air in the top of the car
I suppose some vehicles may be like that but usually you take the fans/shrouds off the radiator and then pull the radiator straight up and out.

If they replaced the radiator they could have nicked a line and caused a very smally punture. But, it should deplete the entire system of refridgerant after a certain time period.

Our shop offered a service to put a small can of a product that significantly increased the cooling abilities of the A/C. Not sure how it worked or if it lasted very long but a few people were happy with it. Most shops offer free A/C checks to see how full the system is.

My A/C isn't all that great either but does an adequate job while on the highway. Our vehicles were intended to be MPG class leaders and compressors take a TON of power and drastically reduce MPG in city driving. This was probably the reason the condensor is so small and not as big as the galants which have bigger motors and more torque to power the condensor with ease.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately the air door for the heater does not shut 100% so the poor AC has to fight the heat sneaking by the air door. My 2003 Galant has an electric motor that shut off the water to the heater core to prevent any heat sneaking into the cabin. I have considered installing a water valve in the heater core hose to prevent heat sneaking into the cabin and reducing the AC cooling, however, I am concerned it may make the engine run hotter.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 46500 miles

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They checked the pressure on the a/c and it was fine :/, whatever. They put more coolant in it, LOF, ordered the trim piece that wouldn't stay down and even washed it.

Now onto the part that kinda irks me. The tech said that when the timing chain stretches in a versa they won't start. He also said there is nothing they can do about it at this point because he cant really tell were its coming from. So now I'm left with either a loose heat shield or something else.

He said he will drive other Versas and see if they make the same noise. My ass he will go home tonight and forget about it. Nothing will get resolved until i either complain to corporate or get the mechanic to spend more time on it.

I guess ill just have to by the dc header and catback now to get rid of the exhaust to get rid of the noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.