Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Bought a 2011 Versa 1.8L recently, currently has 309,000kms.

Either I did not notice during the test drive or the tapping/clicking noise just started after I bought the car.

It's definitely louder when cold, and it does not go away after warming up (I have a 75km one way, all highway commute).

It sounds like a diesel at idle, and the clicking noise "speeds up" when accelerating. I can slightly hear it even with road noise cruising at 75mph.

Thought it might be bad oil so I had it changed and the noise is still there.

I read somewhere that the common "piston slap" noise goes away or is significantly reduced after the engine warms up, but my clicking noise is always there from the beginning to the end of my commute.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 1.8 of this vintage, but it probably has shim/bucket valve clearance adjustment. Meaning just leave it alone unless you have to tear into it for major head or timing chain work as well.

Keep up on your oil changes and keep a lookout for other noises, leaks, performance issues.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi all,

Bought a 2011 Versa 1.8L recently, currently has 309,000kms.

Either I did not notice during the test drive or the tapping/clicking noise just started after I bought the car.

It's definitely louder when cold, and it does not go away after warming up (I have a 75km one way, all highway commute).

It sounds like a diesel at idle, and the clicking noise "speeds up" when accelerating. I can slightly hear it even with road noise cruising at 75mph.

Thought it might be bad oil so I had it changed and the noise is still there.

I read somewhere that the common "piston slap" noise goes away or is significantly reduced after the engine warms up, but my clicking noise is always there from the beginning to the end of my commute.

Thanks in advance for your help!
You have a lot of miles on that engine, and if it is a piston slap, there is not much you can do except keep an eye on the oil consumption. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
How much oil are we talking about??
If you do have piston slap, the oil consumption will increase over time. What I would do is check your oil dipstick once a week to see if the engine is burning any oil. If the amount doesn't drop, then that should eliminate the piston slap issue. If it does show a drop, then it will usually get worse over time as the piston rings start to fail. Good luck............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all - thanks for your response.

I forgot to mention, the car does burn a little oil. 5000kms after an oil change, I checked the dipstick and it was at the ‘low’ mark.

So that means the engine has the piston slap condition? Or is it possible to burn oil for other reasons?

I was leaning towards valve clearance issues since the tapping noise does not go away even after warming up. Piston rings failing does not sound good at all....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi all - thanks for your response.

I forgot to mention, the car does burn a little oil. 5000kms after an oil change, I checked the dipstick and it was at the ‘low’ mark.

So that means the engine has the piston slap condition? Or is it possible to burn oil for other reasons?

I was leaning towards valve clearance issues since the tapping noise does not go away even after warming up. Piston rings failing does not sound good at all....
Based on the mileage you have on that engine, I would say that the oil usage you describe is within the normal range. As engines age, things start to wear out which leads to more oil usage, and that happens over time.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
226 Posts
As the other user noted, I guess an oil consumption is normal. I’ll check it more frequently and keep an eye on anything strange.
Many years ago I had a 1974 Datsun Pickup (L18 Nissan Engine). It had over 250K miles on it and would burn oil, as well. It was pretty bad, but the thing kept running, so I drove it that way. I did have to pull the spark plugs and clean them because of the heavy oil consumption, other than that it just kept running and wouldn't die.
I did junk it when my Dad wanted a new truck and gave his old one, which was in much better shape than my Datsun.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Many years ago I had a 1974 Datsun Pickup (L18 Nissan Engine). It had over 250K miles on it and would burn oil, as well. It was pretty bad, but the thing kept running, so I drove it that way. I did have to pull the spark plugs and clean them because of the heavy oil consumption, other than that it just kept running and wouldn't die.
I did junk it when my Dad wanted a new truck and gave his old one, which was in much better shape than my Datsun.
The worst vehicle I ever owned was a Chevy Vega with the aluminum block engine. Had about 30,000 miles on it, and would burn a half a quart of oil every 50 miles. GM screwed tons of people with that piece of junk!!!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
226 Posts
...and would burn a half a quart of oil every 50 miles.
Yes... I do remember the Vega. I never owned one, but I heard stories about heavy oil consumption, but I didn't knew it was that bad. My Datsun would burn a quart of oil every 300-500 miles depending on the load/work it was doing. In hind sight, I should have dropped a new engine in that truck and kept it.
When I took it to the junkyard, the old girl lived on as a "Yard Truck", they had plenty of used oil and could keep it topped off.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The worst vehicle I ever owned was a Chevy Vega with the aluminum block engine. Had about 30,000 miles on it, and would burn a half a quart of oil every 50 miles. GM screwed tons of people with that piece of junk!!!!!!
I had a Sunbird that was based on the Astre(Vega) wagon. It wasn't THAT bad since by that time the 2.5 Iron Duke was being used.
Now that was a great engine!

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like everyone has a GM story.... I had an Aveo (Daewoo) that would give me all sorts of codes which turned out to be a loose MAF sensor coupler. That’s just one of the problems I fixed, there were many more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts