Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm having the Mechanism Err message on my changer; I'm assuming this is the Versa Stereo version of the Blue Screen Of Death. Took it apart, got the one disc out that I really wanted to keep, and the rest I don't care about.

What the Nissan people can't or won't tell me is whether there is a different unit installed in the Bluetooth hands-free equipped models than in those without the hands-free phone system. I have received conflicting information as to whether a replacement unit from a non-BT car will work in mine -- not the CD player, but the BT.

Is the Bluetooth a separate module to the stereo, or do I have to have a unit from a BT-equipped car in order to use the hands-free on mine?

Hope this makes sense... Nissan wants EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS for a replacement unit, and if I can get a good one from an auto recycler I will. Otherwise I'll have to go aftermarket.

Eight hundred bucks. Nissan must really like their parts so much they don't want to sell them.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Hey!

I recently had the same issue ... MECHANISM ERR on my 6 disc changer.

Nissan was able to install a brand new unit in my 08 V thanks to my extended warranty.

They never said what caused it or why it went. They were able to retrieve 5 discs at the dealership, the other one was in the unit when it got sent back. They told me it could take up to 6 months for them to get my disc back to me ...

They are very pricey from Nissan. If mine wasn't covered under warranty, I was just going to leave it as is, rather than replacing it. It would most likely be cheaper to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I read about your ordeal with it. It's nice yours is still under warranty.

When I bought my car (technically used, but it was 2 years old, had 8000 miles on it, and had always been garaged) it had that problem. I took it in and Nissan replaced the stereo under warranty and it's worked mostly fine since. I say mostly because I live in Arizona and as the temperature soars in late spring to volcanic levels it would on occasion do the mechanism error thing, but I would just wait a day or so and it would magically reset itself and work again. It just threw the error again last Saturday and it's irrecoverable this time. Four discs stuck in there, but nothing I can't lose so it's all good.

I took the dash apart -- seriously, it takes ten minutes to pull the dash, unscrew the radio, unplug it and remove it -- and it turns out that the warranty replacement is a remanufactured unit, not a new one, which kind of annoys me.

I can get a working replacement at an auto salvage yard here for $75-100USD, which is not expensive but not insignificant, so before I drop the $$ on a replacement unit I need to find out if it matters whether the donor car had Bluetooth speced or not.

It certainly would be pricey if I were to go to Nissan... why anyone would do that is beyond me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced my OEM CD stereo with one from Crutchfield. No CD player. Instead, put all my music on a 32GB thumb drive and plugged into the USB port. Now, all my music is accessible.
I've got an Alpine I'm looking at on Crutchfield that I quite like. Oddly, though, I like the way the OEM radio face looks. And so many of these aftermarket stereos, with all their flashing blue LEDs and multicolor-changing buttons, look oh so ghetto to me... I don't want a stereo that wants to be paired with spinners and neon under the car. I would rather just get a replacement that works, so I can just plug it in and use the steering wheel controls and the Bluetooth hands-free without modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: I took the plunge and found a 6-disc changer at a local salvage yard for relatively cheap. I picked it up yesterday and installed it last night, and it works perfectly. The donor car did not have Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth works fine on my car which leads me to conclude that the Bluetooth is a separate module and not integrated into the stereo itself. So now I know that if it goes bad again, I can buy a working one off EBay and not worry that the Bluetooth won't work.

·
Registered
407 Posts
UPDATE: I took the plunge and found a 6-disc changer at a local salvage yard for relatively cheap. I picked it up yesterday and installed it last night, and it works perfectly. The donor car did not have Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth works fine on my car which leads me to conclude that the Bluetooth is a separate module and not integrated into the stereo itself. So now I know that if it goes bad again, I can buy a working one off EBay and not worry that the Bluetooth won't work.
Glad it worked out.

Yes I thought the BT was a separate module. You can always consult the FSM's for Versa. They are available online for free to download: Index of /FSM/Versa

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL
26 Posts
i am meeting the same problem with my 6 cd changer not working. unit works fine though. i was able to remove the discs, blue tooth works fine but my cruise control won't turn on when i press the button. i also noticed there were two additional connections behind the stereo unit when i pulled it out. is one for blue tooth and the other for cruise? any help would be great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dropped off my versa at nissan yesterday to have them look for a grinding noise coming from my engine. Before dropping it off, I took out all of my CDs. The next day I picked it up and tried to reinsert my discs and got the Mechanism Error. I've taken the thing apart and can't seem to find out what's wrong.

Is there anyone else who's had this problem and found a fix short of replacing the entire unit?

I can't imagine Nissan touched my radio system at all so I'm sure they will tell me to shove it if I bring up the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.