Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice the manual said not to ground to the battery, but it didnt say anything about messing with the positive side.

I added a 4 gauge wire from the terminal on the alt to the positive side of the battery. Not much of a noticeable improvement with no instrumentation.

Im beginning to thing nissan uses something like Honda and their ELD or electronic load detector that makes the charging system reactive vs proactive.

Honda found they can help fuel economy by switching the alt off and on as needed and using some of the battery to power the load vs constantly charging it.

I notice with my head lamps on when the ac kick on they blink.

Any idea how to adjust the voltage say if you go to an AGM battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out more info on this? I'm about to start some audio upgrades on my Versa and I'm trying to read a little before hand.

Was The Big Three worth it on yours?

·
Registered
85 Posts
What manual are you referring to?

Adding a larger or additional ground to the car will help. However, considering my 97 Honda has the ELD, I am sure the Nissans have them as well. It is to increase fuel economy as well as increase the life of the alternator.

One way to get around the ELD design, is to add some resistors in order for the ELD to detect a load and have the alternator put out the 14 volts constantly instead of the 12.3 under non-electrical demanding driving periods. If you're worried about electrical draw, swap out as many lights as you can to LED's like the Sylvania Zevos.

Any reason you're wanting to go to a AGM? The only real benefits of them are that you can mount them in any position, don't have to worry about deadly gas, and a slower self-discharging rate. Unless you are adding one for your system like in the trunk, you aren't really going to notice much improvement. I would just get a replacement alternator with a higher output.

·
Registered
980 Posts
AGM batteries are for rough service only, the conventional wisdom has warped them into something they are most definitely NOT. When I sold batteries in parts it became painfully evident they do not last as long as regular batteries if you let them sit unused for a while. Why like Optima will not give as long a warranty as a regular battery, they do not last as long. Deadly gas? It is as bad as a normal battery, which pretty much now recover most of that. I've seen an Optima run you out of the room when shorted to degas rapidly when charging.

I for one thought Optimas were highly overrated batteries, they certainly went defective fast enough.

You pretty much don't adjust charging voltage on anything since the old adjustable point type regulators went away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts