Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAIMER: I just wanted to share my attitude change regarding Versas. I've developed a sort of sentiment and if its too gushy skip to the point located at the bottom.

About 5 months ago my car was totaled and I was forced to a desk, signing papers for a new 2015 Versa. It felt absolutely terrible and made me cringe to think I had bought such a low standard car. For 2 months I sat around hopeless, watching other cars in envy.
I'm not sure why, but I started searching for anything at all on the modified Versa scene. As we all know its scarce and expensive.

But mine is even worse because nobody knows about the 2nd gen Versas. I felt the odds against me and that modding the Versa was a losing battle. I found versaspeed.com which helped, I found the forum that I only recently joined after reading so much. I've searched videos of versa, tiida, latio, sunny...... and I guess some how it made a difference in my attitude. I started to like my Versa more and more and opportunities, although difficult and expensive, became possible. The Versa forums are great and helpful, but also realistic. It was something I didn't expect to even exist. I can now spend hours on the forums searching what others have tried and failed. Reading AusTiidas journey on Supercharging the V impacted me, especially that heart break ending.

Although not many do it, there is a Versa modding scene that proves to me no matter what car you have, you can make it yours.
You guys don't care what everyone else says about the versa. AusTiida said it himself that he actually took pride in being the only supercharged Tiida in all of Australia. I love the fact that I found a community's pride in the V's. No matter what we will never be the topline tuning cars but at least we work and work harder than most people. With our puny engines, tiny working space, and economy parts, we work much harder to fix, tweak, and tune the V's for what we personally enjoy. Common tune cars have a plethora of available options.

So now I look for mods that fit what I want my Versa to be. In the end I want people to laugh at me for modding an Econobox. In the end I'll be happy that at least I put love into a machine that nobody but we are crazy enough to tune.

I feel for most people who get a Versa, they'll hardly care. Forgetting it once they get a new or better car. I find a weird satisfaction knowing that my Versa will be a chapter in my book, whereas it'd only be a sentence in someone else's.

THE POINT: I'm just wondering what motivated you guys enough to actually start modding your Versas and being the firsts to do it? Are you proud? Do you hate it and me for sort of loving it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've driven countless cars, from a 1.5L sentra (my first car) to my dream car, subaru wrx Sti, I got my versa because I needed a car that wouldn't break down on me every month. Also, it was my official first car. The sentra was more of a hand me down From my pops. So far, I'm enjoying and loving my versa every time I get in and drive it. It's slow, but there was a quote saying, "If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 horsepower won't help you." I always thing about that when driving my versa. I just enjoy it. It's different from when people buy 2000+ Honda civics or anything that you see everyday. It's more of a challenge to see what you can make and have made for something no one even knew was possible to thinker.

I just enjoy it and hope for more parts and more changes for this little community that will grow into something that people would be looking forward to.

·
Registered
518 Posts
About 5 months ago my car was totaled and I was forced to a desk, signing papers for a new 2015 Versa. It felt absolutely terrible and made me cringe to think I had bought such a low standard car.
Whoa, let me understand, did someone actually put a gun to your head and force you to buy a new car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've driven countless cars, from a 1.5L sentra (my first car) to my dream car, subaru wrx Sti, I got my versa because I needed a car that wouldn't break down on me every month. Also, it was my official first car. The sentra was more of a hand me down From my pops. So far, I'm enjoying and loving my versa every time I get in and drive it. It's slow, but there was a quote saying, "If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 horsepower won't help you." I always thing about that when driving my versa. I just enjoy it. It's different from when people buy 2000+ Honda civics or anything that you see everyday. It's more of a challenge to see what you can make and have made for something no one even knew was possible to thinker.

I just enjoy it and hope for more parts and more changes for this little community that will grow into something that people would be looking forward to.
Exactly! The uniqueness of the versa being the exact opposite of a "tuner" and guys out here on this forum taking that and saying fuck it we'll tune it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I pretty much hate the entire car industry. Cars are too damn expensive for no good reason.

Mechanics are absolute jokes. Seriously my dealership couldn't even do an oil change properly they put over a quart too much oil into my car ... and they wonder why I'm not driving 20 minutes each way for their "free" oil change. There are some good mechanics who are usually older running their own shops, but frankly I don't have the time to be on their schedule and find them.

Dealerships are crooks. Seriously you're going to charge me 265 dollars to replace my incabin air filter? How are you going to offer to replace something THAT DIDN'T EVEN COME WITH MY CAR!. Oh .. you can replace it because I put it in there for 10 dollars thanks to a post on this forum.

The used car market is over valued. Unless you know a good mechanic can you really trust a used car? You don't know how well it was taken care of. From what I've seen you're not saving much money going used vs. new and you could get burned.

I use to look down on people driving low-end cars, but the reality of the matter is I'd rather have my disposable income. These little guys hold their value fairly well for the first few years, they are dirt cheap to maintain (I do oil changes myself for 12 bucks) in less time than it would take me to go to the dealership and I know it's done right.

I've added power locks, windows, upgraded the sound system to a moderately nice system but by no means an insane system, installed a trunk popper, Alarm/Keyless entry/remote start, and Dynamat.

This year I'm integrating a tablet into my dash, I'm working on operating keyless entry/remote start with my phone. I'm adding cruise control, I ordered a new steering wheel to have the audio/cruise controls on my steering wheel. I may even work on an adaptive cruise control system as well. It's a great fun little hobby and I love the gas mileage too. Oh yeah and I'm adding heated seats too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I pretty much hate the entire car industry. Cars are too damn expensive for no good reason......

Mechanics are absolute jokes. Seriously my dealership couldn't even do an oil change properly they put over a quart too much oil into my car ......

I use to look down on people driving low-end cars, but the reality of the matter is I'd rather have my disposable income.....
Too bad you hate the whole car industry, I am part of it, 30 yrs with an OEM and 7 years with a supplier and counting. Cars are too expensive because of a lot of reasons, mostly related to government regulations and customer demand. Most any car now (including the lowly Versa) have at least 6 airbags, antilock brakes, traction control, air conditioning, tire pressure sensors, on-board diagnostics, at least 2 dozen computers to monitor and make everything work. When the car is fully warmed up, the emissions coming out of the tailpipe is so low you can probably suck it for a long time and not kill yourself. And you can get more than 40 MPG on the highway.

The main problem is because of all these, the cars nowadays are just too complicated. Complicated to build, to maintain, to service. More so on high end cars with all the electronics (audio, cruise, lane departure, etc.). Most mechanics are not trained properly/enough to fix even the simplest problem. Good that there are diagnostics to help them but most of the time it's not enough. By the way, the mechanics who do oil changes at dealerships are the lowest paid guys in the place, so always be aware of that.

I've never looked down on people who drive low end cars as I don't judge people on how they should spend their hard earned money (most of these people probably have way more money in the bank that I do - if you read the book "The Millionaire Next Door"). I'm actually peeved by people who drive expensive cars (particularly BMW drivers) who think they own the road, cutting in front of me particularly when I'm driving an econobox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:The Versa I didn't want

I too, have a Versa that I had second guessed about buying. At the time it was the only car I could get at the time. My Accord was trashed by a guy high on bathsalts, I have pics to show as well. But it has grown on me. I have done some mods, nothing major...yet. Just the basics. I have plans to more, weather permitting. The car lacks power, small in size, limited number of aftermarket parts, but I like it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mechanics are absolute jokes. Seriously my dealership couldn't even do an oil change properly they put over a quart too much oil into my car ... and they wonder why I'm not driving 20 minutes each way for their "free" oil change. There are some good mechanics who are usually older running their own shops, but frankly I don't have the time to be on their schedule and find them.

Dealerships are crooks. Seriously you're going to charge me 265 dollars to replace my incabin air filter? How are you going to offer to replace something THAT DIDN'T EVEN COME WITH MY CAR!. Oh .. you can replace it because I put it in there for 10 dollars thanks to a post on this forum.
I absolutely agree. I would never take my Note to a dealer for an oil change or anything else that is within my ability. I posted about this in another thread and it appeared I was in the minority. A lot of folks here have blind faith in the dirtbag 20 yr old "mechanics" doing oil changes at the dealership. It baffles me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts