Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how easy it is to steal a Versa?
No, I'm not trying to steal one:29:

I ask because my husband and I are concerned how easy it may be to steal one now that we've added 18's to it.
Arizona has a HIGH car theft rate.
We're wondering if we should add an alarm.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I really don't think a Versa would be a "target" car for someone to steal. But ANY car is likely to get broken into if there is valuables inside of it.

I would recommend a car alarm for most people who actually like their car. I'm planning on getting the "SmartStart" Viper alarm system that connects to your cellular network and you can start your car from your iPhone. Sounds amazing!

Have you got your V yet? Also what about your projector lights? I love them and want some for myself but since I noticed someone was having troubles installing them correctly I am hesitant on getting them for fear they won't work properly.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The dealership told me that they shouldn't be able to drive it away without the key, since our key's have the built in chip. However, they could steal it in the sense that they could just tow it away.
To be honest, how many people really want to steal a Versa?

I always tell myself. "There is always a more expensive car around that can be stolen." I hope no one ever steals my Versa. Personally I think people are turned off by all the Hello Kitty stuff inside. What male wants to be seen driving that!? haha!

In our neck of the woods, Dodge Grand Caravans seem to be the target of most thieves. They are easy to get into, and easy to start. Two people at work have had them stolen from our parking lot at work. And there were much more expensive cars (such as a Maxima and Murano) that belong to other co-workers, and they were left untouched.

If it's going to make you feel safer, then I would advise getting an alarm. I wouldn't mind a car starter, but the one I would like is super expensive, and then they would have to do all kinds of funky wiring to allow it to start without the key in the car.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Oh really? I didn't know that.
I have the SL with the chip in my key. I was given a tag with a number on it with my 2nd set of keys. If I need a replacement key I have to order it from the dealer using my tag #.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Adding an alarm is probably the best investment you'll ever make. I don't personally know of anyone that's had a car stolen with an alarm on it.....and don't cheap out and buy a simple one, or what will happen when they jack your car and pilfer your rims?

Get something with good sensors, anti-jack (as in a tilt switch) and a decent back up battery....oh and most importantly, a decent installer :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not concerned that someone would want to steal a Versa, just that they'll want to steal mine to remove the wheels. That's the main reason people steal cars around here for the wheels and audio/video systems. Then they sell them for pennies, after we've spent hundreds of our hard earned money on these items legally.
That new viper alarm sounds awesome, I will do some research on it. I don't have an iphone, so I hope it works on the Verizon network. I would love to be able to start my car during the brutal summers here.
How do we know if we have the key with the chip? I know on previous cars I've had the key with the chip had a bigger "head" (or what ever you call that).
I got my Versa yesterday. The projectors work great, everybody thinks the halos look cool, we haven't had any trouble with them. I'll let you know how the HID install goes when I finally get the bulbs in.
On another note, we ordered a rear spoiler from ebay, but UPS lost the package the day they were supposed to deliver it. arghh!
Ok, here's the first pic. Sorry it's not that good, I used my cell phone this morning to take a quick pic to share.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The "Smart Start" Viper alarm only works with iPhones because you have to download the iPhone App from the App Store. :/

ILMV you should check it out because I know you have an iPhone :D Also did you pair it with your car yet?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Code:
No iphone yet :( I really want one, but I have to wait another year before I can upgrade to one. Stupid Rogers changed their iphone upgrade system. I can still upgrade to a new phone every year, but the iphone can only be upgraded after two years. Even though I have been one of their customers for about 4 years now, and this month would be the month I could upgrade, they said iphones are only available to a) new customers or b) after two years into the contract.
I was not a happy Rogers customer. Kind of works out good because the monthly plan would be about $70 a month, and right now I have a corporate plan that is only costing me $20 a month. I still was not happy at Rogers though that new customers can get the iphone off the bat, but long standing customers do not qualify :(

·
Registered
927 Posts
i think all SL have immobilizer so they cant start your car... replacement key are darn expensive though so dont lose your keys... for those who dont have the ikey its possible to install an alarm system but its recommended to install a hood lock also because its easy to disable the alarm just pull it off from the battery... or just do what you can do everyday... keep your car clean always always put away your valuables inside your glove box or your arm rest... if a theft cant find anything interesting inside your car he will just move on to another one... or just get a lo jack :p hehehehe...

nice rims it looks like the one i wanted from enkei :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.