Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions:
1. Was the light output/beam affected?
2. Where abouts did you cut the lense off of the housing?

NICO forums has a tutorial but the pics won't show up for me (you probably have to be a member), and i can't find any other pics that will show up. I found other pics that were hosted by a site but they are long gone.

Reyes1212 i'm talking to you! Lol.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I cut about 1/4 inch away from where the housing bends 90 degrees to shape the actual headlight. It's hard to explain, but here.

As you can see in the last picture, it's all hidden once you put everything back together.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright cool. I think i will do the whole thing in black though instead of your little rings you left. Wish there was a smoother way of taking the thing off though. All that holds it on is tabs and silicone.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There's a method using your oven to head up the headlights until they're able to pry em out of the actuall housing. And you just use a silicone cement type glue to assemble them back together. We did this method to my cousins rsx and it worked fine. Just that you havw to wait 24 hours for the paint to dry on the housing or you'll be seeing rips and chips in the psint when you put them back in the oven to be able to make the headlight stick to the actual housing.

Hope this helps, ill look for the thread it was on I the other forums.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I did the same. sergmx have you had any moisture issues?
Unfortunately, yes. The second day after having the headlights back together it poured like the world was gonna end. That following night it was warm and humid, so humidity got inside one headlight. The next day it was sunny, and it all went away. I have a feeling there's a small air hole somewhere, but I'll have to get to that whenever I find time to remove the headlights again. As of now I am moisture free. woo!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Questions:
1. Was the light output/beam affected?
2. Where abouts did you cut the lense off of the housing?

NICO forums has a tutorial but the pics won't show up for me (you probably have to be a member), and i can't find any other pics that will show up. I found other pics that were hosted by a site but they are long gone.

Reyes1212 i'm talking to you! Lol.
DIY blackout headlights Guide. - Club RSX Message Board

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for that. I'd like to be able to get them off cleaner. Just can't decide what to paint and what to leave alone. What type of silicone should i pick up? I was thinking of a tacky gasket maker, Permatex Grey in a big tube should do it. It creates a bond. A general construction silicone would work good too.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to try it anyways. So what happened exactly? Did the lense seem to separate? How did it get melted?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm going to try it anyways. So what happened exactly? Did the lense seem to separate? How did it get melted?
it's more of "do it at your own risk" kind of thing, if you're going to do it, don't regret it half way through.

probably the best way is to try it with some headlights that aren't being used.

to test it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was more concerned about if he had success with the lense separating at all, waste of time if the sealant used for ours won't soften. I bet the RSX sealant is butyl based, something non curing. I know if it's silicone heat won't do shit, silicone is in it's final resting place once cured.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
over the years I have seen the oven method work flawlessly on other cars. But something is different on the Versa lenses because no one so far that I have seen got it to work. I think they used a different kind of sealant or something. But goodluck because a little paint in that area really makes the lights look better.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tomorrow's Saturday so i'll try it out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

I used a heat gun for better isolation and control on the housings. The lense will come off with heat but it is not fun at all. I still don't know what the sealant is made of, it can't be melted without damaging the plastic. Wondering if a hydrocarbon solvent would soften it so the lense could be pried off without all the effort involved in the heat method. Heat only helps a little bit, you still have to carve all the shit out from the sealing groove, and there's a lot of it.

I have no clue how that guy above got them out with the oven method.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Probably weren't Versa lights. I painted the headlights in my old car(Honda) and those were much easier. I finished one of my headlights and it wasn't hard, I just hope I don't have any issues with moisture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.