Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So surprisingly I need to do my front brakes at only 27k miles and mostly highway driving. There are surprisingly very few options for the Note still. I got Akebono pads. I'm not too sure what I want to do with the rotors though. I can resurface the OEM for $15 each or get new Centric brand for $70 each. Normally I wouldn't bother cutting rotors anymore, but I would imagine the low mileage OEM would be worth doing. I don't see or feel and gouging or deep lip/grooves. The negatives I hear about cutting is that the rotor could be more prone to warping, but I imagine the OEM are not cheap crap either. Your thoughts?

FWIW, I'm a tree hugger and hate to waste something and saving money is nice too, but ultimately want the best brakes possible.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My 2 cents...

You cannot believe how crappy some OEM rotors are these days. I think the OEMs just want to maximize their profits.

In my 2008 Jeep, the rotors started pulsing at around 15K miles. I had to replace both front and rear set to eliminate the problem. I did so using NAPA rotors (one step below top line) and these are still good at 80K. Surprisingly, the original OEM pads are still good at 80K.

I'd say replace them with good quality rotors and it should last longer. Cutting a bad part will not make it good.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
where are you getting your prices from? I did rotors and pads for $70 on my Versa. Dealer wanted $90 per rotor, which I almost paid because my stock rotors lasted me well over 100k miles. I ended up going to rockauto for my parts. I got the cheapest centric rotors out there and couldn't be happier. I liked them so much I bought the same ones for my other vehicle. Have put thousands of miles on both vehicles since and still going strong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
where are you getting your prices from?
I priced out Centric's premium Cryo treated rotors online. The regulars are only $15 less anyways. I also just found StopTech's slotted rotors for $75 ea. I think I only found a couple cheap store brand options which doesn't interest me anyhow.

Jas32: Thanks for the input. I think I will go new for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Well the Centric basic ones at rockauto will run you about $20 each. You should check them out anyway because they have good prices, ship quick and there is a 5% off coupon always. The website is RockAuto Parts Catalog.

I am really shocked that after only 27k miles you need new rotors. I would think any rotor even the cheapest of the cheap will get you at least that many miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
robj80
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing