Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey versa owners! Anyone had this problem before?

I posted this video a while ago (during winter) on youtube to show a nissan technician about my car having problems starting during the winter, and he said the IPDM (or the electrical system that deals with how much air/gaz must be delivered to the engine) was probably faulty, but they didn't verify and now it's complicated to reproduce the issue and no one seem to want to give me a diacnostic until the car does it again or repeatedly.

The car kind of starts and shuts down right away unless I give it gas for a minute but notice the delay in the RPM gauge.

The car isin't under the 3 years warranty anymore but the engine is still covered under the 5 years warranty, the IPDM obviously isin't covered but I thought maybe someone knew this problem and could confirm if it's really IPDM related?

Do you think anything else could be causing the issue that wouldn't be related to the IPDM? That piece is very expensive (500$) and they won't replace it under engine warranty since it's electrical.

Oh yeah and I do get poor gas mileage even with brand new oil, air filter and the correct tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hmmm maybe an idle sensor? Not sure what that acronym you posted means, but seems like maybe a throttle position sensor or idle sensor/valve.

What do you mean by poor gas mileage? Like how many km to a tank?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always do 10L/100km mixed city/highway and I never push my car above rated speeds, my friend's V6 Outlander averages around that too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IPDM: intelligent power distribution module, suposed to be emission-related, controls the fuel pump, sensors, etc... but could just be a faulty sensor as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess around 400... 440 when I really push it past the yellow light... that's about 10L/100KM considering I put less than 45L of gas all the time. I once put 44.5L of gaz but I was WELL bellow the yellow light :)

Anyhow, I'm thinking my problem can be caused by so many things... ECM, bad wiring, my ground that hangs beneath my car, could be a crack in some air intake, could be a dirty Throttle, could be the throttle heater not working causing the throttle to freeze during winter (I highly doubt that tho).

Surely I should just complain at my local nissan but the guy at the counter is such an idiot... I'll probably just call nissan canada again but man really... I wish they had simple fixes for all these issues!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being thrown left and right by nissan technicians being told they want to replace every single piece of electronic instead of doing a diagnostic is so frustrating that I got to hate my local nissan dealership and don't wana go there again, but eh, I guess I'll have to, just wish they could diagnostic the damn thing instead of wanting to replace every damn piece of my versa every time I go there.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ah yeah I don't get much over 400 either, but that is with roof racks (and carrying kayaks/skis/snowboards/bikes) on the roof during their respective seasons and a CAI and a not so light right foot, as well as 17's.

So yours does actually seem a little low. Where in QC are you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I should start by getting my air intake cleaned and checked, and my spark plugs checked or replaced, then I'll see from there what's going on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone can confirm what is dangerous and what's not, and if these things are what I think they are?

Ground?

Tube?

Block heater cable?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Maybe someone can suggest a scan tool or software program that would help find the problem. I am looking to find a OBDII tool or software that will offer real time data and also trouble shoot problems.

I found the following site that might be an option. Would like to hear from others on the forum that can make suggestions

OBDCOM Diagnostic Systems for ALL vehicles

·
Registered
927 Posts
that sounds like my old civic that needed a throttle body cleaned and fuel fuel injector cleaned. Diagnostic tool would be nice :p sometimes the CEL wouldn't turn on but there is still a code happened to my gf's camry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
that sounds like my old civic that needed a throttle body cleaned and fuel fuel injector cleaned. Diagnostic tool would be nice :p sometimes the CEL wouldn't turn on but there is still a code happened to my gf's camry.
I had a similar problem with my 2006 Corolla a few months ago. The positive battery cable had corrosion around it, so I pulled it off and cleaned it. While I had it off, I also changed the air filter from a KN to a paper filter. I had the KN for 100K miles and did not want to spend the extra money to replace it. After installing the new fram air filter and connecting the battery cable after being off for 20 minutes, I started the car and the engine was stumbling at around 500 rpm. Pressed on the gas peddle, rpm up to 1500 and the car would run fine Let off the gas and it would drop to 500 rpm and stumble and die. Put the old air filter back on and still the same problem. Put back in the new air filter and started the car and let it stumble at around 600 rpm as I tried to figure out what was wrong. Then while the engine was running, the rpm started to increase and leveled out at 1000 rpm.

I figured that either two things had happened. The new paper air filter that now restricted the air flow, or the ECM was resetting after I had removed the battery cable for over 20 minutes. Or the ECM adjusted to the new decrease air flow and corrected the air/fuel mixture. I wish I had a scan tool at that time to give me a clue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cleaned my throttle body which kind of felt like it made a difference about how the engine ran, checked my air intake which is OK and clean, and I'll have my electric ground fixed this week. Should help! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update, the throttle clean-up helped with the iddle and seemed to help with the engine sound but didn't really affect gas consumption.

I will order a new O2 sensor and transmission fluid will be flushed and refilled this week-end, I'll keep the post updated for other people who have similar problems see how this did.

Injector cleaner didn't make a difference so far, at least it didn't feel like it did.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts