Nissan Versa Forums banner

Tire Pressure Light

17K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sooner4x4 
#1 ·
I've had my tire pressure light turn on every fall when the weather gets colder. My tires should be at 35lbs pressure and they lose a few pounds due to the cold. They checked out about 30lbs pressure last year. I was told to put about 40lbs of pressure in each tire based on other responses and also don't forget the spare tire. The light turns off after a few minutes. My question is should I check and release air pressure during the summer months as heat will increase it? I don't think 40lbs pressure will hurt, but I don't want overinflated tires. I want to maximize fuel mileage and tire wear.

#2 ·
you should check and correct the tire pressure all year. I don't go as high as 40. I kept mine around 38psi all year long. I probably checked it a couple times a month and made corrections. Unless my light came on then I would do it that day. My stock tires lasted 120k miles and had even wear across.

#4 ·
My mechanic said same, thus 38psi 24/7. Also i don't have tpms, i check manually

#3 ·
Just wait a few more years and your tpms light will be on all the time when one or more of the tpms sensor batteries die. That is the story with my 07. The other day, I was in the tire shop getting the tires rotated and I asked about the always on tpms light.

Their response was, after five or six years the batteries start to go. I asked what it would cost to get four new batteries installed, one in each sensor. The batteries are not replaceable, you will need four new sensors. Total cost quoted was around $650.

You can go on-line and find the sensors for around $50 each. I am not sure how much the reprogramming costs. And of course there is the cost of breaking down the four tires and installing the new sensors, which is part of the valve stem.

#5 ·
If a shop quoted you $650 for four TPMS sensors then I suggest you go somewhere else..... Our shop prices were high but that amount is crazy.

At our shop, our cost was usually about $30-50 per TPMS sensor. So we would usually add on another $20-30 per sensor. The we would charge a new tire install which ran like $15 a tire to install the new sensors. All you have to do it let the air out, break one bead, and use the air ram to keep the tire down while you swap out TPMS sensors. Some cars require a small tool that reprograms them while others will do it automatically.

#10 ·
My thought was to wait until I bought new tires then get the new sensors so I had asked just to get an idea of the cost. The guy quoted the price with a straight face. I truly thought he was joking. I keep a close watch on my tires with or without a tpms system but the light is a little annoying.

My 05 Tundra has the same issue.

Best case scenerio this would add at least $300 to the cost of a new set of tires and maybe considerably more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.