Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you rotate your tires. The manual suggest that tire should be rotated every 5,000 miles. I was wondering if you feel that is too aggressive?
Paul

·
Registered
369 Posts
How often do you rotate your tires. The manual suggest that tire should be rotated every 5,000 miles. I was wondering if you feel that is too aggressive?
Paul
As far as I know, there are three schools of thought regarding frequency of tires rotation.

(1) Rotate them every 6k-8k miles.

(2) Rotate them when a difference in the thread depth between front and rear tires is getting close to 2/32.

(3) Do not rotate them at all. For FWD, front tires wear much faster. When front tires are worn out, move rear tires to the front (they still have pretty good thread depth), and put new tires in the back.

Every one has pluses and minuses. I personally use #1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I figure out the issue. In the past, I had rotate tire every 2 oil change. However, that was back when oil had to be change every 3,000 miles. Newer car usually extend oil change to 5,000 to 6,000 miles. This mean I should just rotate tire on every oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I have a 2011 Versa hatchback. I think I averaged rotating every 10K-15K miles. It may have helped as I got nearly 125K on those tires (although admittedly I drive pretty smoothly).

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMHO, the concept of rotating tires is a means by which tire companies have brainwashed people into doing... because it wears your tires out faster.

I had a set of Firestone Destination A/T tires on a Chevy Silverado that wore perfectly evenly, and I got 80,000 miles out of them and never rotated them. I bought them around the time right after the Ford Explorer (I call them Ford Exploders) were being sold with Firestone tires and the tires were blowing out causing the Ford Exploders to flip over and kill people. It was about 6 months after that and I figured right then Firestone was making some of the best tires ever as the politicians and upper management were all up the a-holes of the people actually making the tires, which would force them to make better quality. They were expensive as hell but they lasted almost half the life I got out of that truck... I traded it in for a KIA Rio hatchback in 2014 and it had over 260,000 miles on it and it was whipped, lol... it still had the never rotated Firestone tires on it... rusted the hell out from driving it on the Michigan salty roads in the winter... the wheel wells on both sides were gone... the rocker panels under the door were gone...

And I learned from that experience that rotating tires was a tire company philosophy used to wear out your tires a hell of a lot faster.

If your alignment is correct, you don't need to "rotate tires"...EVER... unless you don't mind your tires wearing out faster so you can go back and buy more new tires from the tire company...

Its in the manual because the tire companies pay the manual writers to put it in there

If your tires are not wearing un-evenly, you don't need to rotate them. If they ARE wearing unevenly, you gotta f-ed up alignment and you need to get that fixed... it doesn't fix your alignment to rotate your tires...

Biggest bullsh!t concept since they told us how pure some over-priced car stereos sounded... until you roll down the window and all the road noise does away with your super-duper low THD distortion and woopy doo dah frequency range... hahaha -- so much for "audiophile" car stereos... I think some of the same folks who came up with the rotate tires idea also came up with the concept of having audiophile car stereos... to me, car stereos are the biggest rip off in the consumer market... kind of like the rip off idea about rotating your tires...

I guess... instead of fixing your alignment problem, a work around for uneven wear would then be to take a Dremel tool with a sanding cylinder and just sand off the good part of your tire so it is now more evenly worn... that makes about as much sense as being a sheeple and believing in rotating tires... hahaha (don't try this at home)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
193 Posts
I usually try to rotate my tires about every 5K miles. As for the person who says they never need rotating, I disagree. Every front wheel drive car I've ever owned will begin to cup out the tread on the rear tires and cause a bumpy ride If they're not kept rotated. This has been my experience in nearly 30 years of driving a front wheel drive vehicle and it happens regardless of tire brand. I worn out a set of rear tires (BF Goodrich) that were supposed to last 70K miles in about 20-25K miles a few years ago because they were not rotated like they should have been. I do mean wore out too, right down to the steel belt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not the oldest and grumpiest dude on this forum, but in 35yrs of vehicle ownership, every FWD vehicle I've owned will wear the front tires out quicker than the rears. If you want to keep wear rate even on all 4 tires and replace 4 tires at the same time, by all means rotate them.

If you're cheap and prefer to replace tires 2 at a time. Don't rotate them and replace the front tires when they're worn.

In the case of my 2017 Ram 1500 pickup. The wear rate on the rear tires is much greater than the fronts..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts