Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend offered me 1 for a good price, & I want to make an informed decision, is there anything to look out for, or watch for? I know nothing about these yet.

its a 2007 with CVT with 185K miles he replaced trans probably a year ago with one with 90k miles & has put under 10k miles on it. runs & drives fine, no unusual sounds from engine. he has to replace hood where hit a deer at low speed.

no idea on how it was maintained before he bought it, & trans was bad when he got it.

money is tight, but he will let me do a few payments, I am just wanting a spare vehicle, which will probably be a DD to go to & from work, around 45 miles a day. I drive 250-350 miles a week, most of my life I rode 2 wheels, over 30 years, including majority of winter, & now I hurt so much I am not riding as much, & never realized how thirsty my truck is until I actually started driving it over 3k to 5k miles a year, I rode my Harley approx. 20K a year, so just want a cheap good on gas beater to go to & from work, but not something I have to work on much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2007 Nissan Versa SL (i.e. CVT transmission). I purchased it new and I keep it maintained. I change CVT fluid every 100,000km. It has 260,000km. It is still has the original factory CVT.

It is expensive to maintain.
- CVT fluid change is about C$350.
- Change spark plugs is a major task because the intake manifold is sitting on top of the engine. Intake manifold off before getting to the spark plugs. 30 minutes job turns out to be 2 hours job. More labor - more expense.
- Airbag light came on. My dealer shop wants C$1100 to replace the airbag. I waited for the airbag recall to replace the airbag. The airbag light still on after the airbag replacement. My dealer shop wants $500 to replace the clock spring on the steering wheel. I did my research. Purchased a new clock spring from Amazon for $50 and replaced the clock spring myself.
- Front springs were replaced 2 years before the safety recall.

It will be cheaper if you can do the repair work yourself. Don't buy it if you have to pay someone to do the repair. It is a 12 years old car in another month.

I am bias. Will I buy another Nissan again? My answer is no.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Two issues to consider...................engine has been known to produce a piston slap problem which becomes worse over time. Usually loudest when the engine is first started in cold weather and diminishes as the engine heats up. Next on the agenda is the cvt transmission. I have a 2012 versa sedan with just about 20,000 miles on it. Just prior to the power train warranty expiring, the cvt went down the tubes and the entire transmission was replaced by nissan. It appears they have plenty of them in the pipeline because of the number of them that have failed. To show you how much faith they have in their cvts, if you get it replaced, they give you a one year, 12,000 mile guarantee on the replacement, which is a laugh. Out of warranty pocket cost for replacing the transmission is about $4500.00!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I once was a mechanic, still have a good understanding, but not worked on cars professionally since 2012, I hurt so much I try to avoid doing heavy stuff, & pay a few friends to do that, I just do simple stuff, usually. brakes, oil changes, ball joints, or body work.

as for Nissan, never owned a newer model, but in my youth I had plenty of old Datsun cars & trucks, 510's, 620's I still love the old L & Z series engines, had a friend with a 310, fun old times, & the front brake pads of the 310 would fit a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 after trimmed a bit with belt sander, lol.

as for the transmission, I remember when my friend bought it, he paid $500 for the car, & he gave $350 used for transmission with 90k miles & paid $250 to get it installed. he did put a battery in it, he has 3 cars now, & only had liability on it, but hit a deer before Thanksgiving & just going to replace damaged parts with junkyard parts, & not paint it, & I can get it dirt cheap, & make payments for a couple months. but I don't want to afford major repairs, nor do I feel like doing them. He has not given me a price yet, just saying it will be cheap.

what I have always told people is if you get 10k miles for every $1k of price your doing ok. so if I can last 2-3 or more years with just oil changes, I would be very very happy, lol.

Technically I could buy a new car, but I have no desire for serious payments hanging over my head, every extra bit of money I have had for last 2 years I have paid extra on bills, I been so far in debt I couldn't see daylight, I am 4 months from having all bills paid off but my home, & approx. 4 years from paying it off. I will never buy a new car or truck, & will probably only buy cheap vehicles so I never go back in debt again

when whatever I buy breaks down majorly, I will look for another $1k-$2k car, or truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
old_biker
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing