Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
One way to make an informed decision about it is to take it to a body shop and ask for estimate. Then compare with a fare market value in the blue book car values. It will give you some ideas how to proceed.

Consider that the initial estimate may miss some things that could be discovered later, during repair. Also about used cars values in the book, probably those listed values do not factor in the recent jump in such values.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is us totaled or possible for me to get fixed outside of insurance. I don’t want to report to insurance & they total loss when I could get it fixed myself. View attachment 18424 View attachment 18425 View attachment 18426 View attachment 18427
What @SlickVersa said.

It appears to have no crumple zone damage other than the floating box frame behind the bulkhead & drivers headlight. It is "fixable".

Even so, there is a lot of work to be done. This is just my estimate from viewing these photos and nothing more. It may end up costing you upwards of $3k for a proper repair from a reputable shop.

Everything else on the car seems nearly intact, so I'm assuming something punctured the area around the driver's side in a frontal collision of some sort?

Sent from my Samsung S10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with taking it in for an estimate. If it can be repaired and the insurance calls it a total loss it's likely you could collect the value of the car then buy it back from the insurance company at a fairly low cost. It's an avenue you could discuss with your insurance agent beforehand to see what he thinks. I know it's not totally in his hands but if you have a good relationship with your agent his suggestions/recommendations could probably have an influence on whether the adjuster offered to sell it back to you or not. Back in the late '70's someone hit my dad and totaled the car he was driving. The car was still legally drivable so the other persons insurance offered to pay dad $650 and they take the car or $550 and he keep it. He took the $550 and continued to use it as his daily driver to/from work (approximately 50 miles a day) for a few more years and several thousand miles. After dad quit using it and went to something else for his daily driver I used it for probably a couple years to drive to work/back (also approximately 50 miles a day) before he finally sold for $100.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you have enough money and time, almost EVERYTHING that is broken can be fixed, but is it worth the cost?? This car needs a major overhaul in a number of departments, and thats the damage you can see. The car looks like it took a pretty good hit, and there may be hidden problems that are no obvious right now. Whatever you decision, I wish you luck!!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
112 Posts
Have you checked any local junkyards to see if they have a fender, hood and front light assembly?? If so, get a price for those items.

A few years back I got T-boned by an uninsured driver and had to fix my old Pontiac. It was similar to your accident but on the passenger side. I got a door and fender from my local Pick-N-Pull junkyard along with any hardware/fasteners that I needed. I pulled out the lower rocker panel with a come-along and applied a thin coat of body putty to it and sanded same. My painting skills aren't the best, but I picked up a quart of matching paint and shot the replacement parts and rocker panel. From 30 feet away, the car looked fine and I drove it for a few more years.

If memory serves the whole repair was less than $300.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts