Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got a 2009 Hatchback Versa (1.8 L, 122 HP). I am planning to move about 1000 miles this summer and am looking at my "options". I don't own much and would end up renting a 5' x 8' trailer for all my belongings, but I understand that trying to tow with a versa is probably a very bad idea. I didn't find a clear answer, so I'm just asking:

-how bad of an idea is it? (eh you'll survive vs you will absolutely die)
-is it illegal to tow a trailer with a versa?

Just looking for information, definitely not committed to trying to install a hitch and tow if it's not safe.

· Registered
8 Posts
I'm no towing expert, but I do work for Nissan, and they definitely do not recommend towing with the Versa. I think even the Rogue has a towing capacity of about 1000 pounds.

I have seen Versas with hitches, but I don't know what those folks are towing. I don;t think it's a good idea, but if you do and find out it works, let me know! :)

· Registered
139 Posts
Mine tows great. I wouldn't do it with the CVT model though, the 5 speed does a great job. The only thing I would say if your going to tow is only tow a reasonable amount of weight and don't act all crazy driving. My receiver is only 1 1/4 so I have to be realistic. I have 2 bike racks and a 2006 Thule trailer. The trailer is 3x5 and I use it for gardening, moving small furniture, pretty much anything that does't fit inside. Used the same trailer on my 5 speed Honda Fit for 5 years and never had a problem.

PS If your trying to find the Thule trailer online they are really really hard to find used, but worth every penny IMO.

· Registered
139 Posts
Really depends on a lot of variables. Around town not to bad 1-3 mpg, highway 2-5 mpg depending on speed and wind. I would say over all it's not to bad, car gets really good gas mileage anyway. Average mpg is high 20's to low 30's towing, I really don't notice bad gas mileage in this car. Q

· Registered
24 Posts
Towed today, got a commercial pressure washer on a small pallet. Used my Thule trailer, flawless. Q
I like that Thule trailer! I'll have to keep my eyes open for something similar.

If you look online for towing with other versions of the versa for different markets (where towing with cars is more common than in the U.S.) you won't find any of them that are rated for LESS than 1000 Kg. That said, tow at your (and everyone else on the roads) risk, so tow safely.

I think the main reason so many vehicles don't have a tow rating at all, or a super low rating is because of the amount of idiots and lawyers in our country. ;)

· Registered
139 Posts
You definitely need to use caution when towing. I've been using small cars for about 10 years for local towing needs. 2001 Subaru Outback, 2006 Subaru WRX, 2011 Honda Fit, 2015 Nissan Note and 2016 Kia Soul. All manual models except the Kia, cool thing that I liked about the Kia when I bought it is no CVT tranny it's 6 speed traditional. I'm really interested in trying this car out for towing.

Thule trailers are really hard to find, if you find one buy it. There is also a Thule clone from Redstrailers, more expensive and made in China.

I love seeing people towing those Harbor Freight trailers with the 10" wheels behind a big Chevy truck. Way to little/way to much, it's a coin flip really. Q

· Registered
80 Posts
You definitely need to use caution when towing. I've been using small cars for about 10 years for local towing needs.
I love that Thule trailer! Looks nice, and would probably come in very handy around town.

For the OP, if you're moving a thousand miles away, I still think a rental truck and a tow dolly is the best choice. You won't have to worry about space for your stuff, and you'll save wear and tear on the car too.

Shop around, they're cheaper than you think... And we all have more stuff than we think!

· Registered
139 Posts
I love that Thule trailer! Looks nice, and would probably come in very handy around town.

For the OP, if you're moving a thousand miles away, I still think a rental truck and a tow dolly is the best choice. You won't have to worry about space for your stuff, and you'll save wear and tear on the car too.

Shop around, they're cheaper than you think... And we all have more stuff than we think!
Notarized you are definitely right about towing 1000 miles. I would never do that with this trailer. We're new transplants to the Fort Worth area from Austin Tx. About 180 miles away, I used this trailer a lot for the move and rented a 26' Penske truck for 90% of my move. Trailer did awesome on the move.

They made this trailer in a 6' version. Think the model # is TP105 Easy line, I really want this model. Mine is the 3.5'x5' model

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Versa sedan 5 speed and I tow a small trailer with as much as 3 dirtbikes at times. I'm very cautious of the tongue weight and keep it to around 60lbs to 80lbs. And next weekend I'm driving round trip to Bellingham WA from the SFO Bay Area for a vintage MX race and I'll be towing 2 bikes. Now, I'm a mechanic for a living, and I don't push the car very hard at all. If there's a hill I'm just going slow up it and never abuse the clutch. I'm sure if I have drive train issues I'll take that hitch off BEFORE I take it in for repair. But there again I don't push the car hard and it'll be fine.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Versa Note and want to tow a small camper trailer. When I say small I mean small like either a SylvanGo (840 lbs) or a Little Guy MyPod (600lbs) or a Little Guy 5 wide (900lbs). It's confusing because many say it can tow those light weights while others say no towing period. I'd really prefer to not replace my car just yet. Even a motorcycle tri-wheel pulls the MyPods. Has anyone towed these light weights on a regular basis with no problems?
I plan to talk to the Nissan service people.

· Registered
826 Posts
If you see a 3 wheel motorcycle, like a Harley Tri Glide pulling something like that, they have most likely had major(over $10K) engine and trans mods done to pull something that heavy.
I also know that Harley voids the warranty when towing over a certain weight(IIRC 150 lbs).

The best advice I can give is look up Nissan Tiida and towing, or caravans. That might give you an idea of what the rest of the world is doing with these cars.

· Registered
826 Posts
If I were to put a hitch on my 09, it would only be for a hitch mounted bike rack. I use my Saab for towing, as it is the same as a Chevy Trail Blazer.
I won't even consider towing anything with the Harleys.
I did have a hitch on a 93 Geo Metro, and that thing was HORRIBLE when towing, at any weight. Very poor handling, and would barely pull hills at times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.