Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second TPMS sensor that I have had to replace, the first
one was under warranty and was replaced by the local Nissan dealer,
who said the sensor cost was $150 plus installation.

The problem is that the valve STEMs developed a longitudinal crack in
the metal, which allows a small air leak and the TPMS light comes on,
as the onboard software (firmware) system is designed to do, when
the offending tire pressure is reduced.

Since my Versa is now out of warranty, I surfed the net and found an
OE TPMS sensor from oreilly.com for $50 and had it installed and
"programmed" (by a local independent shop) to the onboard BCM. The
FSM shows a specific "tool" that must "wake up" the new sensor and
then all 4 wheel sensors must be reset in a specific order, FL, FR, RR, RL.

The sensor that was just removed, is the factory sensor, which was
made in the UK and has the number 40700 JA02B.

Has anyone here had the "crack" problem with STEMS on the Versa?

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is the first I have heard about valve stem problems on the V. In the early days of the Versa (2007) I recall hearing about problems with the sensors in conjunction with the BCM, but I think that was a programming issue. Odd that you have already had two issues with them.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the intallation and programming that was done by the independent shop?

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is very common on Chrysler, Dodges, Jeeps, etc. and I have seen it on a few foreign vehicles.

It is just a junk design/bad materials that the company uses. However, I recommend to EVERYONE that they put anti-seize on the threads of the TPMS sensors to prevent fatigue and cracking is they get stuck on because of corrosion (usually the culprit).

As far as programming the TPMS it is different for makers. Dodges reset simply by driving after so many miles. Some require the use of a scanner which usually takes a few minutes.

The price you found for your TPMS sensor is about COST for a dealership. If the dealership isn't a complete scam they should be able to replace the TPMS sensor without removing the tire/rebalancing it. However, they will probably charge you a stupid fee for a "TPMS service kit".

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care so I am very familiar with TPMS stuff.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've had 2 go bad. I ended up just replacing mine with regular old valve stems. Not worth the hassle if you ask me. I generally know what my pressures are so the idiot light on the dash isn't all that helpful.

Some tire shops will use a TPMS rebuild kit when they swap summer and winter tires in order to swap out the components that usually lead to a failure in the valves. Its like a 4 piece kit and costs close to nothing for them to put in. They generally charge 2-5 dollars per tire to include this. If you want to keep your sensors, I'd recommend the rebuild kit every time you swap tires. If you don't change between winter and summer, you're out of luck on that one.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
^all it is is a seal, nut, and valve core.
my bad, 3 part kit. haha. Either way, I just got rid of mine cause I didn't want to deal with them anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.