Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the tpms from the originals fit aftermarket wheels just curious the light got to me already lol the guy from rent a tire said they should fit if they are the screw ones whatever that means.

·
Registered
691 Posts
He's probably referring to the original early 2000's style sensors that secure with a metal collar nut over stem, the transponder itself is what may not fit properly because of rim offset difference or drop center design. They still use that style all over the place. They aren't a particularly good design, i don't know why they felt the need to change from what worked perfect before (rubber valve stems sealed by a groove at the base) to what corrodes and commonly snap off when you attempt to remove seized on caps or stem cores.

What style are the originals? They are the collar nut type i'm assuming? If the valve stem hole is the same or similar enough in size and the transponder will fit properly then it's really no problem at all.

If it's a good place, i doubt they'd charge much if anything to break the tire down and quickly see if they fit properly, you don't even need to dismount it to do that. Just break bead seal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Does anyone know if the tpms from the originals fit aftermarket wheels just curious the light got to me already lol the guy from rent a tire said they should fit if they are the screw ones whatever that means.
Yes they will fit. I had my TPMS from my 15 inch steelies installed on aftermarket Drag wheels. Actually if for some reason they cannot fit in the regular spot (where you fill the tire with air), they can mount the sensors using a steel band mounted inside the wheel.

Sometime they may charge you a for a rebuild kit to make sure it makes a good seal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks just wanted to be sure before i actually wasted any money on doing it but it'll work even thou the aftermarket are 20s right?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Overtightening is the most common way they start to leak, spec is only 11 in/lbs or so.

·
Registered
691 Posts
How much do those wheels weigh on their own?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To tell you the truth i don't really know how much they weigh.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I have learned to embrace the light. Even though my tpms functioned perfectly when I switched wheels I didn't want to deal with tpms. Didn't want to pay for new ones or added costs later when getting new tires. So the light remains forever on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
robj80
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing