Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,
I’ve been driving this car around as normal but for the past 3 days at random times I’ll stop at a stop light and the car sort of shudders, then when I start going there’s no power until a sudden jolt followed by a clunk sound, and I’ll have random moments where the traction control light comes on plus a sudden jump in RPM.
Is this a transmission issue or is it something different?

·
Registered
95 Posts
5 speed manual or CVT? If CVT I would have it checked. Sounds like it might be going. What year model car? How many miles?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 speed manual or CVT? If CVT I would have it checked. Sounds like it might be going. What year model car? How many miles?
It’s a CVT, and I’ve got 59000 miles on it. I’d say I could try warranty but I bought it used from a rental and the only warranty I got was 36000. Hindsights always 2020, right?
I’ll have it checked this week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, just got the car back this morning. I was told the cvt was reprogrammed and to bring it back if there’s any more slipping. Yes, the 5yr 60,000mi warranty transferred (thank God) and I paid nothing for it.
Thanks for the help and I’ll keep posted if anything happens

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Not to be the harbinger of death but check it quick, 'reprogramming' often does nothing with that as it is internal trans damage showing up. They may well be trying to get you past the pay $4K mark. The chain either slips to grab on worn pulleys and chain teeth or the pulley movement is sticking/dragging and common. No software will touch that other than fluid pressure increase, which just delays the issue more. The VBs wear out to do the same too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to be the harbinger of death but check it quick, 'reprogramming' often does nothing with that as it is internal trans damage showing up. They may well be trying to get you past the pay $4K mark. The chain either slips to grab on worn pulleys and chain teeth or the pulley movement is sticking/dragging and common. No software will touch that other than fluid pressure increase, which just delays the issue more. The VBs wear out to do the same too.
I was suspicious the moment they said they reprogrammed it and lo and behold the trans began slipping at almost every light on a grocery run yesterday. I dropped it off again a few hours ago and emailed videos of it happening to the dealer. No calls yet but I just want it out before warranty’s gone

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was suspicious the moment they said they reprogrammed it and lo and behold the trans began slipping at almost every light on a grocery run yesterday. I dropped it off again a few hours ago and emailed videos of it happening to the dealer. No calls yet but I just want it out before warranty’s gone
The issues you are having are exactly the same that I experienced with my 2012 versa sedan. When stopped at a light or stop sign, it would shudder every couple of seconds. Took it to my dealership, and they replaced the entire transmission under the power train warranty. The car had under 30,000 miles on it. This problem is so widespread that Nissan has these either new or rebuilt transmissions in the pipeline ready to deliver to the dealerships when needed!!! As for Nissan, I will never buy another vehicle from them with a CVT, so I guess I will not be buying a new Nissan anytime soon..............

·
Registered
333 Posts
... I just want it out before warranty’s gone
From what I have been told, as long as an issue has been documented during the warranty period, that issue is covered even though the repair itself (for that particular issue) is after the warranty is over.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You guys are wasting time posting here, the 'what's new' post section today had 35 entries in it and this one was the only one in english. The others were all foreign language spam.

This site is dead and nobody cares.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts