Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I thought I would just post my personal feelings about the 2 different cars.

The 09 was the S model with automatic

The 14 is a SV model with CVT

It is more noticeable when when the 14 has 4 people than the it was in the 09. I like the fact that the 14 has a temp gauge instead of just "Cold" and "Hot" lights. I like the mechanical hatch release (14) instead of the electric switch (09), My personal fuel mileage is only up by about 4mpg (from 29 to 33) hopefully after a few thousand miles, and once the transmission gets fixed it will get better. Most of the things that I like better about the 14 are related to it having more equipment, (XM radio, back-up camera, stability control, ect.) and as for handling I have only driven the 14 on winter roads so can not do a reasonable comparison. 1 big improvement IMHO is the ability to turn off the AC in the 14 when defrosting the windows, in the 09 I had to take apart the dash and disconnect a switch to get that function. Space seems about the same but I have not tried to fill the space in the 14 yet, but the space is one reason I looked at the Versa.

On my CVT, I have a intermittent problem with a "transmission speed sensor" that when it acts up causes the CVT to go "stupid" choosing the wrong ratio and hurting fuel mileage. The local dealer has the part "on order" and it will be replaced under warranty, apparently it is a "known" but not common problem.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
wow sucks you already have an issue with the new ride. I bet it's a bit sluggish with 4 people. That's the issue with smaller engines. Nice to see a 4mpg increase though even with the tranny issue. My old 1.6 gets about 33mpgs too this time of year. You will be seeing up close to 40 when the warmer weather hits.

Nice to see the much smaller car appears to have the same interior room as the previous model. The versa selling point has always been interior space and I'm glad they didn't give that up.

Did you cross shop with any other vehicles? Did you get a good deal on your 09 versa on the trade?

Post some pics when you get a chance, any mods in it's future?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not cross shop, the Nissan dealer got me with a good trade-in allowance and the fact I went to the new one for $35.00/month and 1 extra year of payments at 0.9% instead of my existing 3.4% (just over $700 interest for the whole term) and getting a warranty covered car that will save money on fuel and maint.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What do you mean the ability to turn off the AC when defrosting? Are you talking about the fact that the AC automatically comes on whenever you set it to defrost? I just turn mine off with the button any time i put defrost on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the 09 (not sure if any other years) when in defrost mode the AC is ALWAYS on. The light in the AC button does not come on but if you check the compressor under the hood it is engaged, pressing the ac button turns on the light and the compressor is still on, pressing the button again turns off the light but the compressor is still on. In the 14 (and my wife's 12 Altima) the AC comes on in defrost but you can turn it off by pressing the button.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi guys I thought I would just post my personal feelings about the 2 different cars.

The 09 was the S model with automatic

The 14 is a SV model with CVT

It is more noticeable when when the 14 has 4 people than the it was in the 09. I like the fact that the 14 has a temp gauge instead of just "Cold" and "Hot" lights. I like the mechanical hatch release (14) instead of the electric switch (09), My personal fuel mileage is only up by about 4mpg (from 29 to 33) hopefully after a few thousand miles, and once the transmission gets fixed it will get better. Most of the things that I like better about the 14 are related to it having more equipment, (XM radio, back-up camera, stability control, ect.) and as for handling I have only driven the 14 on winter roads so can not do a reasonable comparison. 1 big improvement IMHO is the ability to turn off the AC in the 14 when defrosting the windows, in the 09 I had to take apart the dash and disconnect a switch to get that function. Space seems about the same but I have not tried to fill the space in the 14 yet, but the space is one reason I looked at the Versa.

On my CVT, I have a intermittent problem with a "transmission speed sensor" that when it acts up causes the CVT to go "stupid" choosing the wrong ratio and hurting fuel mileage. The local dealer has the part "on order" and it will be replaced under warranty, apparently it is a "known" but not common problem.

congrats on the new ride and hope you enjoy it...kind of strange that you are having that issue with the transmission though, as far as i've read on the NHTSA website they dont list that particular issue but they do list other TSB's and recalls such as the Sill bolts and rear seat bolts needing to be replaced. Glad it is being taken care of under warranty though and if you are ever in the market for aftermarket parts for the Note, just be glad to know that Tanabe has already released one part with several more on the way :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I forgot to mention, the rear 1/4 view when backing out of an angle parking stall is better in the 14

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.