Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My son went off the road in my 2009 Versa 1.6 going about 40mph and smashed the front right part of the bumper, flattened the tire, bent the control arm and wrecked the cv axle. I cleaned up the tire and it reinflated after a couple of tries. I replaced the control arm and towed it to the body shop and the guy said the frame isn't bent, with a few hours labour they should be able to get it back to looking normal. I found a front bumper cover for $100 at the scrap yard and will get that painted. I'm ordering a cv axle from Rockauto ($110 cdn)and should be able to install that myself. All this just to say that I know it's not worth a whole lot but I think I can get it back on the road fairly cost-effectively.

My problem is, when sliding it off the flat bed, something let go in the transmission and now it feels like it's in neutral always, the wheels roll freely. It's an automatic and the gearshift moves through the P-N-R-D like nothing's happening. Is it possible that a link let go somewhere for the transmission or might my transmission be screwed from the impact and rough dragging off the flatbed?

Sorry for the lengthy post, wanted to cover everything. Anyone out there with experience in front end impacts that can shed some light on my situation? I've only spent $60 so far for the control arm, don't want to take the plunge on the rest of it just to find out the transmission is screwed.

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A parking pawl is what keeps the vehicle stable and free from rolling away. It is essentially a little pin that finds a hole, slips in, and prevents the transmission from turning. This is why you roll a centimeter or two after putting it in Park - the pawl is engage and "pops" into place once it finds the next slot. The parking brake still exists on vehicles to take the weight of a vehicle when it is on an incline and keep all of the pressure off of the parking pawl. I would assume at minimum that the vehicle was in Park and something gripped the flatbed to such an extent that the force overcame the pawl and broke or bent it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this, that's what I felt like it must be, some kind of fail-safe let go. So, is the parking pawl a big deal to replace? And I'll do some checking around now that I know what to look for but is it an expensive part and how much time would the garage take to replace it, any guesses?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive never replaced one but I am sure it isn't going to be cheap as your are going to have to open up the transmission in order to get to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts