Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday my family and I were headed out of town. The car had been working perfectly, no signs of trouble. We went to a gas station, got some snacks and the were on our merry way.

Except that at the stoplight just 20 feet from the gas station, my car wouldn't move! I pushed on the gas pedal, and nothing! I pushed again, and it crawled forward a couple of inches. I tried 2 more times before it finally came to life, and jumped forward into my right hand turn.

In the interest of safety I pulled into a parking lot, stopped completely and tried again. Once again my car did not move. It didn't rev, the RPM's didn't even move. We parked the car and called a tow truck. We waited 30 minutes for the truck to arrive, and when it did, the tow truck driver drove it onto the truck bed like there wasn't a single issue!

Fast-forward to us arriving at Big-O- Tires, and the mechanic hops in to try and test drive it to repeat the problem; of course nothing happens. Thankfully they have a diagnostic at another shop, which they drive it to, they scan it and find that there is a problem with my CVT. Only now it's stuck at that shop because it wont move again.

We get it towed to Nissan. On Monday I go and talk to my technician down there, and we have to run another diagnostic. Wednesday morning I get the call, complete failure. My car is 3 years old, 65,000 miles. We drive around town and occasionally drive to LA (240 Miles round trip), and my transmission is dead.

Long story short, I know that they previously had problems with the CVT (up to 2010), but has anyone with a newer model had this problem? How long should I expect a CVT to last? And is this a problem I can expect to happen again in another 3 years?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those are some tough questions to answer. In my case, I am nearing 165k miles and on the original transmission (2008 model year) with no end in sight. Obviously there have been many without such good luck as evidenced by Nissan extending their warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am currently going through the same issue with my 2012 Nissan Versa (also 65000 miles). I have a case in with Nissan Consumer Affairs and am waiting to see if they will cover the cost (which I am told is a new transmission at $4,000). Pretty angry. How did you situation turn out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the process of having the CVT transmission replaced in my 2014 Versa. It's been at the Nissan Dealership for almost 2 weeks now waiting for the new transmission. It's under warranty still luckily. ~48,000 miles. Although the belt has been slipping for a good 10k miles. I notified Nissan back when it started but there wasn't much they could do, at least then. This time though they said the transmission was definitely going out and it was time to replace it.

We'll see how the next one performs...

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are lots of CVT trans failures on the versa it seems. Lots of my coworkers with altimas and versas have had failures. 2014 altime failed at 77k and 2013 versa failed at 28k and both of these men drive easy.
So glad I opted for the 4spd in mine...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last night coming home from my son's championship basketball game pulled up to the light car was running fine soon as the light turned green I stepped on the gas pedal It made a funny sound And stop moving I had no drive or low gear we had to push the car to the side of the road now it Will go in reverse but I have no drive or no load gear and I'm fun very hard for somebody to tell me was going on or to get help fixing it

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Interesting... When I had a honda the issue was the engagement clutch causing jerking or the belt exploding sending thousands of keyways everywhere.

Sounds like Nissan has other issues. Good thing I got the stick shift. >:D

·
Registered
939 Posts
One of the major issues with a CVT nobody ever thinks about ahead of time is that if only ONE gear activating mechanism goes out you are pretty much walking home. Often that will not happen in a multi-gear ATX, one of the other gears commonly can limp you home.

Of course, they would not use THAT as a selling point..................

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Well.... keep in mind its an analog CVT. The belt is made up of hundreds of keyways and if the belt breaks those scatter everywhere and can FUBAR up the guts.

Im not a cvt fan. Too bad the base versa is the only manual you can get.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Both pulley sets that lie under the flexible belt can fault to leak to not expand out and then a no drive condition would exist.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
See on the honda cvt is was automatically slacked adjusted as the following pulley was spring loaded and the drive one was adjustable by the ecu and hydraulic pressure. Honda used a clutch pack vs a traditional torque converter and one way to adjust its engagement point was to cost to a stop from 35 mph. Another solution was to change the cvt fluid, the inline cooler filter. Plan C was to drop the pan and replace the internal filter that everyone says doesnt exist. :grin

I did that and found all 3 magnets were covered in slimy metal sludge. Once I did this it was like a whole new honda car.

Its my understanding Nissan cvts are sealed units? :|

·
Registered
939 Posts
There's no such thing as a sealed unit in anything to do with a car, at least not in my world.

Somebody will be rebuilding them (poorly most likely, and what they do-NOBODY ON EARTH rebuilds an ATX of any sort as fully as they should, why I always do mine myself).

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
With the cvt being the only option in most of their cars you would think people would start doing that. I know Aamco(SP?) use to be a tranny rebuild shop.

Oh well, I got 104 thousand out of a honda cvt and that included many full throttle starts from a dead stop to 70 and a few one wheel peels. Thought I screwed it up with running Enoes SP? cvt fluid as it came out black vs tan or pink since I change with when I did the engine oil.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, I see in the service manual they do NOT include the normal internal hardware repair instructions and specifications they do on the 4 speed ATX.

The dumbing down of the world-just change the entire $5000 dollar part and what they do. Ford too stupid-proofed their manuals by removing most technical explanations of how their technology worked to simply go to moronic flowcharts so that 6th graders could so the mechanical diagnosis there. The tech no longer has to understand why the part is bad, just understand change it or not.

I've had ATX that had to be 'completely rebuilt' according to shops; that being able to get inside virtually it by use of a manual allowed me to save it with like a 30 cent washer here or there or a longer band bolt made up out of a $2 bolt and the trans then lasted many years longer. There is a cutaway of the Nissan CVT that makes a lot of it understandable but need more than that. It looks fairly simple as compared to a standard 4 speed ATX though. No more double planetaries to worry about and most of the clutch packs are gone. One for each pulley and each has a whopping amount of travel as compared to normal ones. Or the sheaves themselves do, haven't got that far yet. Piece of cake as I worked on plenty of CV type drives in the printing world.

'Keep them dumb and keep them broke' is the word of the day now, how corporate America looks at us 'lemmings'.

Aamco was a transmission maiming shop. They typically pushed hard to get the lifetime guaranteed trans sold then rebuilt them only just good enough to last maybe a year or more at which time you were expected to have all paperwork in place showing you had the lifetime thing and screwed if you had lost any of it. The cost analysis had them changing more than one trans but they got enough up front to be able to change up to 3 before losing money. Like the lifetime warranty you now get on most things at chain car parts stores, it does NOT mean the parts are made better, rather that they will give you Chinese junk over and over until you get mad enough to go elsewhere (to get the same thing from them also). Oh, yeah, I played THAT game plenty on people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad has a 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan with CVT. He is 50 years old, a gas saver type of driver. Start to have slow shift, jerk, and crazy rpm jumping up and down around 60k miles in 12/2015. Passed 60k powertrain warranty. The car was dead going uphill toward San Francisco freeway. Towed it home, scan the car with OBD2. Write down the code (something about clutch/chain), went to Nissan dealership with that check engine light code and got the part. Thought it'll fix the problem but now the car still have problems going uphill or long range 60mph+ drive. The car is my daily driver to school (5miles range) for almost a year after broken down on the freeway, now the car has almost 69k miles. The car also will not move or rpm goes up like other people said above when transmission gets hot and sometimes have to restart and floor the gas pedal to slowly moving at 2k rpm, typically after like 5 miles city driving or above 4k rpm acceleration when someone cut me(18yrs old) off. Around 65k miles I put on a HAYDEN TRANSAVER TRANS-COOLER OC-1405 EXTRA HEAVY DUTY for around $40. The car will drive longer before transmission acting up again. Turn on heater while driving helps little but not much. Now I tried turn cold A/C on, much comfortable for myself and car drives even longer than with heater on because A/C kicks on engine cooling fans.

The car has K&N air filter and self-made intake(using cleaned, old flexible vacuum machine's tube) that runs through no fog light cover plastic piece. The car doesn't move at 3k rpm before this mod. After this mod, the car starts to move at 2k rpm. Overall better acceleration and healthier engine sounds.(Remember to clean your MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner to save gas.)
Sorry for bad English grammar.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Trans working better when cooled off says hydraulic leak somewhere and gets worse when the oil gets thinner for being hot.

If only you could get a code and buy a single part to fix it, that's really quite impossible in many cases. A few yes but most no.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing