Nissan Versa Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
So the idea of draining the fluid JUST FROM THE 19mm plug at the end of a trans fluid service...
Can someone explain that to me?
How can I drain all the fluid from that plug...and still have the right amount of fluid?
I'm not sure I understand your question but hope this helps.

The only way to replace all the fluid would be to have a transmission flush done. It won't all drain by removing the plug and stand pipe. When you replace the plug with the stand pipe and refill the transmission the correct level for the fluid is the top of the stand pipe at whatever temperature Nissan recommends.

You should have approximately the correct amount of fluid in the transmission with the procedure you used it's just that the new fluid mixes with the old fluid that was still trapped in the torque converter. If you wanted a higher percentage of new fluid you'd have to do multiple fluid drain/fills after driving a while and mixing the old and new fluid.

I plan to do a single drain/fill/filter replacement again at 60K just as I did at 30K on my Versa then between 90 and 100K I'll probably do 3 drain/fills and change the filters on the last of the series. This should replenish a large amount of the fluid to close to like new condition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That sounds good. How do y'all feel about the Filter change? Seems like some say not to bother with the filters. But others say never to change the fluid at all! I don't think Nissan ever recommends the trans filters to be changed.
Do you follow the same procedure for filling after removing the pan? Fill it, run it, warm it up, drain just the first plug?

·
Registered
513 Posts
That sounds good. How do y'all feel about the Filter change? Seems like some say not to bother with the filters. But others say never to change the fluid at all! I don't think Nissan ever recommends the trans filters to be changed.
Do you follow the same procedure for filling after removing the pan? Fill it, run it, warm it up, drain just the first plug?
I don't know that changing the filters help but it makes me sleep better at night knowing I've gone the extra mile with these problematic transmission. As I said before it was cheap insurance at less than $15 for both filters combined. I don't know what Nissan's stance is on fluid changes now but I think they used to say you never needed to change the fluid and we all see how that worked out for them. The majority of my driving is very easy driving and I could probably get by with extending my drain/fill/filter intervals but at around $60 every 30K miles the extra cost is only $ .002 cent per mile or your cost of ownership goes up $200 every 100K miles. Yes, the filling procedure would be the same if you removed the pan. For me removing the pan played two rolls, I was able to change the filter and also see how many metal flakes were stuck to the pan magnets and clean them.. In my case there was only a slight coating of metal fuzz (maybe 1/32nd inch in thickness) stuck to the magnets and is what I'd consider normal transmission wear for 30K miles but no one knows how much metal got by the magnets and was trapped in the filters. When I changed the fluid/filters I was having absolutely no problems with the transmission which is what I want, I don't want to wait until there's a problem then try to fix it by changing the fluid/filters which might or might not do any good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, my transmission was "lunging" when shifting gears. It wasn't lagging or "slipping." But it definitely needed new fluid. The transmission engages and shifts smoother now after the transmission fluid service. And I do think the pan should be removed at least once to get rid of any sediment/debris. I've already done the 60k fluid service with the pan on. So when I hit 90k miles... I think I'll go ahead and remove the pan and change filters too. Thank you all for all the feedback and advice. This is my absolute most favorite thing about signing up for a forum with a new vehicle. I sleep better at night as well... after reading what experienced owners have done with their vehicles just like mine.
Thanks again y'all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So this may not be a fluid question, but might be related..relates...
I can hear a chirping noise sometimes while driving. Like metal-on-metal. No noise when hard on the throttle. Just under light acceleration, low ram.
Is this the dreaded CVT noise I've read so much about?
Seems like the noise has gotten worse since my DIY trans fluid service.
Could I have too much fluid? Not enough?
Could the noise be the belt? Or something else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just recently purchased a used 2014 Nissan Versa SV to save on gas. 106,000 miles on the engine. I have no knowledge of when or if the transmission fluid has been changed. I was considering having it changed, but a local mechanic shop advised against it. Any opinions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I put cheap castrol synthetic CVT fluid in at 60k miles. I've got a chirping sound (under 2k rpm) that seems to be getting worse.
I'm assuming the viscosity of this castrol fluid isn't what the transmission was designed for??
I want to put Nissan CVT fluid back in. But I don't think I want to wait another 30k miles...
So what is the best way to remove as much of this castrol fluid as possible?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I put cheap castrol synthetic CVT fluid in at 60k miles. I've got a chirping sound (under 2k rpm) that seems to be getting worse.
I'm assuming the viscosity of this castrol fluid isn't what the transmission was designed for??
I want to put Nissan CVT fluid back in. But I don't think I want to wait another 30k miles...
So what is the best way to remove as much of this castrol fluid as possible?
Best to take it to Nissan at this point. Have them change the fluid and do an inspection.

Reactions: Ecate

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first CVT vehicle. From what I read online, it seems like this transmission needs extra special care to get as many miles as possible out of it.
It's almost time for the 60k mile service. What transmission fluid do y'all think is best?
Can I get that Valvoline Full Synthetic CVT Fluid?
Do I have to buy the expensive CVT type N3?
I want to hear from some other Versa owners so I buy the best fluid to get the most miles out of my CVT...
I know you wrote this a few months back but I would advise anyone with a CVT transmission to add the JilCat Proline CVT Transmission Supplement as soon as you can. Nissans are notorious for having CVT issues and those with the sealed transmissions leave you stuck waiting for those issues to happen before changing/adding fluid. By then damage is done. You can get that CVT Supplement and add it right to the transmission fluid. You do not need to remove any first. There is plenty of room to add it. It will save you thousands in repairs. I have read so many referrals from people regarding their mechanics telling them they need a new engine or transmission and they added the engine conditioner or the CVT supplement (depending on the issue) and it fixed it... I know it works if it's not completely shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best to take it to Nissan at this point. Have them change the fluid and do an inspection.
Seriously, I came here to learn where the fluid port is on a 2022 nissan versa but I see all of these people having issues with their CVT so I have to share... Get some CVT supplement fluid to add to the transmission fluid in the CVT. It's literally a game changer for the CVT's and a life extender for the tranny's notorious for Vibrations/shudders/judders/missing out in the shift... Saves thousands in unnecessary repairs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts