Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by no means a 'car guy' and I need to know what to pinpoint when I bring this car in for it's overhaul. I've driven over 70k miles on a 2015 Versa Note in about 2 years in mountainous terrain through the rain and snow and through a canyon fire once. It's been a great car for the most part but I think the transmission is starting to go for starters. When on high inclines, there is a very distinct whining noise. Not sure if that's supposed to be normal. Also, occasionally when starting from stop lights or stop signs the wheels seem to stutter for about a half second before actually engaging the road. I have good tires that are relatively new. When breaking at highway speeds, the car has a bad wobble too. Might have a bent wheel but I think the brakes just need replaced. Car has 95k miles and has had regular tire and oil service but that's about all.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am by no means a 'car guy' and I need to know what to pinpoint when I bring this car in for it's overhaul. I've driven over 70k miles on a 2015 Versa Note in about 2 years in mountainous terrain through the rain and snow and through a canyon fire once. It's been a great car for the most part but I think the transmission is starting to go for starters. When on high inclines, there is a very distinct whining noise. Not sure if that's supposed to be normal. Also, occasionally when starting from stop lights or stop signs the wheels seem to stutter for about a half second before actually engaging the road. I have good tires that are relatively new. When breaking at highway speeds, the car has a bad wobble too. Might have a bent wheel but I think the brakes just need replaced. Car has 95k miles and has had regular tire and oil service but that's about all.
What kind of transmission do you have????

·
Registered
674 Posts
Automatic CVT
I am not saying that your CVT transmission is going bad, but the issues I was having were similar to yours when sitting at a stoplight, or stop sign. My 2012 versa sedan had about 12000 miles on it and still under warranty. Last summer, while stopped at a light or stop sign, it would exhibit that stuttering you speak of in your post, but I did not hear any whining, and in my case, the "Check Engine" light came on. Since my warranty was about to expire, I took the car into the dealership, and they diagnosed it in about 10 minutes as being the main "Control Valve" in the CVT transmission. When they called Nissan to get the o.k. to make the repair under warranty, they were directed to change out the entire transmission and put in a "new" one. Seems like Nissan has been having a ton of problems with the CVTs, and has an ample supply in the pipeline. With the exchanged transmission, they also gave me a power train warranty extension for an additional 12 months or 12,000 miles, which indicates to me that Nissan is not placing too much faith in the longevity of the replaced transmission. To be honest with you, I would never buy another car with a CVT tranny. I hope that your situation is different. Out of pocket price for an out of warranty transmission is in the neighborhood of $4,000.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Whine in a CVT where it was not before is likely slip, the chain makes that noise when it is not grabbing at 100%, and makes sense at higher angles of attack as the car weight really loads the trans then.

In 95K miles the CVT fluid needed to be changed at least once............

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am not saying that your CVT transmission is going bad, but the issues I was having were similar to yours when sitting at a stoplight, or stop sign. My 2012 versa sedan had about 12000 miles on it and still under warranty. Last summer, while stopped at a light or stop sign, it would exhibit that stuttering you speak of in your post, but I did not hear any whining, and in my case, the "Check Engine" light came on. Since my warranty was about to expire, I took the car into the dealership, and they diagnosed it in about 10 minutes as being the main "Control Valve" in the CVT transmission. When they called Nissan to get the o.k. to make the repair under warranty, they were directed to change out the entire transmission and put in a "new" one. Seems like Nissan has been having a ton of problems with the CVTs, and has an ample supply in the pipeline. With the exchanged transmission, they also gave me a power train warranty extension for an additional 12 months or 12,000 miles, which indicates to me that Nissan is not placing too much faith in the longevity of the replaced transmission. To be honest with you, I would never buy another car with a CVT tranny. I hope that your situation is different. Out of pocket price for an out of warranty transmission is in the neighborhood of $4,000.
This link was provided by another poster regarding a class action suit:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/nissan-transmission-cvt-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
pimperell
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing