Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 2014 Versa Note with 60K miles with CVT transmission. I am the second owner and it looks like there is an issue with my transmission.

When the speed of the car is under 30mph I don't see any issues. When driving on highways, rpm keeps on going up with the speed. For example when driving at 60-70mph, rpm remains around 4k. I think rpm should be around 2.5K around this speed.

Nissan dealer wants $150 to diagnose the issue. I don't see any error codes either. Is this something that can be fixed easily?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't see any error codes either. Is this something that can be fixed easily?
Did you actually had codes scanned and there are none, or you assumed there are no codes because the CEL is off? The error codes could be stored even though the CEL is off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
  1. CEL is off and there are no codes ( checked at Autozone)
  2. I took the car to a local transmission shop to do a free diagnosis. The tech connected an instrument to OBD port and said there are three codes related to the transmission: U3000, U3100 & U3400. I could not find any info related to these codes. He drove the car and said transmission has to be rebuilt. He said the RMP should drop as the car gain speed.
  3. When the car runs from a full stop and I continue to press the gas pedal, RMP will go really high and the car will not go beyond 40mph
  4. When the car runs from a full stop and when the speed is around 20mph and the rpm around 2K, I have to release the gas pedal and wait until the RPM falls close to 1K. Then I press the gas pedal again and RPM jumps to 2K and come back down to 1K and the car continues to run normally.
  5. When the speed is around 60-70mph, RMP is at 3K
  6. When the speed is round 80mph, RPM is around 4K.
  7. When the car is at 60mph and if I let go the gas pedal, RMP goes down to like 1.5K. When I press the gas pedal again, RMP goes up to 3K.

This is my first CVT and I don't know how a good transmission should behave.

·
Registered
511 Posts
For my manual 5-speed Versa sedan rpms are 3k at 60 mph, 3.5k for 70mph, 4k for 80mph. For CVT it should be lower.

"He said the RMP should drop as the car gain speed." I would doubt it. You could get at a dealership and test drive a similar car with CVT to see it for yourself. Also you will be able to establish how a good tranny behaves.

"Nissan dealer wants $150 to diagnose the issue." Do you have another Nissan dealership around? They may have a different fee structure. On the other hand, that $150 may save you more from doing unnecessary repair if you go to an independent shop where you will be able to verify their estimate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2016 Versa : I am the second owner and I purchased the car about two months ago. The warranty you have mentioned does not apply to second owners. I already called Nissan and they said it can only be covered on the initial warranty of 5yr/60K.

SlickVersa : I took the car to the dealership and it has 3 codes: P17F0, P17F1 & P17F4. They said I need a new transmission. I searched online and it looks like when you get P17F0, that means transmission is slipping and need to be rebuilt. I also drove a 2015 Versa Note and transmission was smooth. At 60MPH, RPM was under 2k. I can clearly see that my transmission is bad. I guess I did not do enough research before buying the car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You may want to search again the requirements to be eligible for Nissan CVT lawsuit settlement. According to this quick cursory search Nissan CVT Transmissions Settlement

Proof of Purchase:
No proof is required for a warranty extension. If you want for repairs, you must provide documentation.

Eligibility:reimbursement
You may be eligible if you bought or leased a 2013-2017 Nissan Sentra, 2014-2017 Nissan Versa Note, and 2012-2017 Nissan Versa vehicle equipped with a CVT...

Nowhere it says about being an original owner as a condition for a warranty extension. So if it is not a requirements, just do not bring this up. Even better if you print out something officially looking to bring with you just in case to show them (as if they do not know...)

·
Registered
396 Posts
2016 Versa : I am the second owner and I purchased the car about two months ago. The warranty you have mentioned does not apply to second owners. I already called Nissan and they said it can only be covered on the initial warranty of 5yr/60K.
I'm the second owner of my '16 Versa and received a letter from Nissan saying it was covered under the extended 7yr./84K mile warranty. The letter has my VIN on it and my Versa even has a rebuilt title. If I ever have a problem with mine I'm taking it to a dealership with letter in hand. Sounds as if you need to speak with an attorney.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That is interesting. It looks like Nissan is playing tricks with me. I found the following document from another thread. Based on this information my car should be under warranty. When Nissan told me that my warranty has expired( 5yr/60K), I believe they did not take into consideration the extended warranty applied by the lemon lawsuit. Warranty extension is on page 4. If I am reading right, warranty has been extended for all vehicles from 5yr/60K to 7yr/84K miles. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

http://sentraversacvtsettlement.com/media/2365818/nia_not_web_191024_v3_final.pdf

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am going to call Nissan again.
You already got a BS from Nissan. As 2016 Versa suggested, it is a time for an attorney. Does not mean you have to pay for it. The link I provided has a list of law firms handling that lawsuit settlement. Contact any of them online and talk with them, either via email or a chat. I am sure they will answer your generic simple questions, without many references to your specific case, for free. Print it out and take it to dealership. Tell them you are acting on the advice of your attorney.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is interesting. It looks like Nissan is playing tricks with me. I found the following document from another thread. Based on this information my car should be under warranty. When Nissan told me that my warranty has expired( 5yr/60K), I believe they did not take into consideration the extended warranty applied by the lemon lawsuit. Warranty extension is on page 4. If I am reading right, warranty has been extended for all vehicles from 5yr/60K to 7yr/84K miles. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

http://sentraversacvtsettlement.com/media/2365818/nia_not_web_191024_v3_final.pdf
Not playing tricks on you, flat out trying to screw you and forego the terms of the class action. You are exactly right. The class action suit covers models included in the class action regardless of whether you're the 1st or 21st owner as long as the time/mileage hasn't elapsed. I was surprised at getting a letter on my car considering the rebuilt title since when I bought the car Nissan told me it wasn't covered under the 5yr/60K mile warranty because of the tarnished title. As I said if I have a problem I'm going to a Nissan dealer with letter in hand. I did not discard the letter since it had my VIN listed on it. I won't furnish information to the dealer about the rebuilt title but if Nissan would try to weasel out of it I'd tell them the car already had a rebuilt title when the letter was sent out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke with a Nissan rep and this person was knowledgeable about the extended warranty. In their system, warranty for my car started on Oct/13.That means my warranty ended in Oct/20. I already gave up on this car and time to move on. Thanks for everyone for sharing their knowledge with me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I spoke with a Nissan rep and this person was knowledgeable about the extended warranty. In their system, warranty for my car started on Oct/13.That means my warranty ended in Oct/20. I already gave up on this car and time to move on. Thanks for everyone for sharing their knowledge with me.
My understanding of the warranty 7yrs. from date of first registration or 84K miles. Yours must have sold very early in the model year. I'm not saying the person was being dishonest but there are online searches you can do using your VIN that will give you highlights of what has happened at various times/mileage throughout the cars life. Kind of like a mini car fax. Can't hurt to confirm what you were told unless you know the initial sales date.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was actually going to do that. I could not find an online tool that would give me the date of first registration. I may spend another $35 and get a Carfax report and it may contain the first registration date. If you know of any website that can get me thins info, pls let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a report from NMVTIS and it looks like the 1st registration happened on Dec 6th, 2017 in LA. If this is true, its good news and I am going to call Nissan on Monday and have another chat.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't spend your $35 yet. I'll have to do a little research but I used a web site about a week ago that gave me that information on a car I was looking at and thinking of buying. I've also used it on my '16 Versa with a rebuilt title. It gave me the initial registration date/mileage, date/mileage of accident, and date/mileage when it was sold at insurance auction. It sounds like they are possibly using the build date in your instance. Again it may be time to call some of the attorneys that were involved with the class action. 5yr/60K begins when the car is sold new no reason the extended warranty should be any different.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Type "free VIN search report" into your search bar and it should bring up links to several sites. If it doesn't work let me know I'll try to find a specific site for you. We've got to all stick together and not let big corporation take advantage. 12/17 sounds awfully late for first registration on a '14 model but even though it's possible 10/13 would mean you have one of the earlier '14's and it sold pretty quickly. As best as I remember my '16 was first registered in 1/16 in SC. Check the manufacturer tag inside the drivers door jamb and see what the manufacture date was on yours. If it's later than 10/13 they're definitely trying to screw you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts