Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dear All,

I need some help.
Please check the following recording of me checking transmission oil for my car Nissan TIDA(versa) 2008 (1600cc):

https://youtu.be/yRBzbk-6gNc
https://youtu.be/hIwF13guY1k

I checked the oil after driving almost 30 km.

Please advice me on its condition. Is it OK or need any attention. FYI, I don't feel any issue in gear shifts.

Thanks in advance.
Color looks fine to me, I would not be concerned. Just make sure you keep it at the proper level according to owners manual. Good luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
"Looks" are just an indication of oil condition. The best test is a black stones labs break down, but the "tissue" test is a good indication if its "dirty". Does it smell burned or burnt?

I guess the question is if the fluid has been in there since 08? Me, Im anal about my car. I know most cars automatic or manual usually suggest 1 fluid change for the life of the car. I usually try to do one at 15 thousand miles and end up doing a drain and fill every so many oil changes of the engine.

On the other hand if you got an automatic that works well, but the fluid is black and smelly do not change it. Ive seen people buy used vehicles that werent serviced or serviced as necessary and change the fluid to just have problems down the road. It seems once the fluid turns black its helping to keep the transmission working. New fluid washes away the crap that kept the seals from leaking and what not and you end up needing a rebuild.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Pimperell for your response.
Is it OK to put some oil over the existing one without draining out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Cobb for your response.

It does not smell burnt.
Yes, agree with you that the color looks just fine.

I bought this car for a year now. I tried to find when the transmission oil was changed from the previous owner. But he didn't know.

Currently, I am driving fine without any issue. But just want to be proactive to avoid problems.

Many people mentioned the same point you mentioned that their car was fine. But started giving problems when they changed the transmission oil.
I am trying to evaluate my situation.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks a lot Pimperell for your response.
Is it OK to put some oil over the existing one without draining out?
Not knowing the mileage of the car, nor if and when the transmission was serviced I would just keep an eye on the transmission fluid level. If you don't have any leaks, the level should basically stay the same. If you have to add fluid, make sure it is the type specified in your owners manual and make sure that you do not overfill the transmission as this can cause damage and poor shifting.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
If you want to help resale value Id get it changed. Its easy to do on your own even if you use fluid from the dealer. Its ok to add as you never change all the fluid due to automatics have plenty of passages inside where its held.

If you do it yourself you can add that service to carfax by mycarfax.com Infact you can enter your car into it and see most of the service history as if you ran a car fax report on it. I use that for my vehicles when do I service it myself, but I typically use dealer fluids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts