Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2015 Versa 4 door.
I don't know what tranny is in it, but it's automatic.
Can someone tell me the characteristic of this tranny?
I noticed when driving it, the RPM's were high before it shifted and at times it feels like it slipped between shifts.
My son got an extended warranty with the car but it's still under the 30 day shop warranty.
It came from a reputable Nissan shop so I hope if something was wrong with it, they would have checked things out before selling it, like I said, I hope they would.....

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
167 Posts
4 door with a trunk or hatchback?

If it's the sedan with the trunk, you could have a conventional 4spd automatic or the CVT. If you can't tell by driving it, the easiest way to tell is look at the floor shifter. If it has PRND21, it's a 4spd. If it's PRNDL, it's a CVT.

I own a 2015 with the 4spd. They were offered on base model 1.6 S's until 2017.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 4 door with a trunk and from your description it has the CVT transmission.
What are the pro's and con's on this tranny?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's a 4 door with a trunk and from your description it has the CVT transmission.

Thanks for the reply.

Nissan has had big problems with their CVT transmissions. From your description it would be hard to tell if the tyranny has a problem. In my case, my 2012 versa sedan cvt went south just prior to the factory warranty expiring. In my case, when the car was stopped waiting for a light, the car would lurch just a little as if you just released the parking break. I also got a "check engine" light come up on the dash. When I took it into Nissan, they diagnosed the problem in about 10 minutes, and were directed by Nissan to change out the entire transmission rather than try to repair the one in the car. From what I understand, Nissan has had so many issues with these cvts that they have either new or rebuilt transmissions in the pipeline, and can get them to the dealers in no time flat. If you really wanted to see if the transmission has a problem, you might consider bringing into a "reputable" dealership and have them diagnose it and see if it comes up with a problem. It will cost a few bucks, but it may be worthi it in the long run. To pay out of pocket for a new transmission runs about $4000-4500. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info.
He got an extended warranty with the car, so if something would happen, it would cost him $100 to have it fixed, but I'm going to send his salesman a question to see if this was checked.
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
The pros are fuel economy. You'll get closer to 40mpg as opposed to 30mpg with the 4spd auto. The cons can be many if you read online, but from what I've read and experienced, as the years have gone on, the Jatco CVTs that are used by Nissan and many other OEMs have gotten better. It doesn't mean they're awesome and IMO, they are a higher risk than most. The do fare much better if you are aware you own a CVT and you do fluid changes every 30K miles or so on them. Lots of youtube videos on how to do this. It's easy. I've done a bunch. Having a dealer do a simple drain and fill of the CVT typically costs $200-300. You can DIY for ~$40 buying 3-4qts of NS-3 fluid online.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for that info.
He got an extended warranty with the car, so if something would happen, it would cost him $100 to have it fixed, but I'm going to send his salesman a question to see if this was checked.
Thanks
As much as I'm not a fan of cost and shenanigans of extended warranties, I do think they're a wise purchase for a used Nissan. They do all have a 5yr/60K mile power-train warranty, but at least the extended warranty contracts typically cover you from 60-100K miles and a few extra years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts