Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
id imagine this is the proper place for this?... so ive looked around on some of the other tranny posts and i couldnt quite get the answer i was looking for, and its pretty hard to find any info on these cars on google, so, ive got a little over 100k miles on my versa noticing the gear are starting to feel chunky id imagine its time to replace the fluid in it, i have a
Versa S
6 Speed
Manual

i cant find any dipstick or anything like that to check the current fluid, idk if im not looking in the right spot or if this particular model doesnt have one, and from what ive seen on here, its better to just drain the old fluid and replace it with OEM nissan fluid, so, where do i go starting this?..the versa is my daily and i have a second car i do everything on but its RWD so im not too familiar with FWD Tranny stuff. any help?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
There is never a dip stick for a manual transmission car. You just remove the drain plug, then refill through the fill plug/inspection hole. Park the car on flat ground and fill until level with the fill/inspection hole. The versa has gaskets for the plugs that nissan states should not be reused.

The V manual tranny like all other nissans you would use Nissan fluid or gl4 equivalent 75w-80.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know how much MTF a 2012 Versa takes. I'm coming up to the change interval and I want to switch to synthetic as well (any recommendations?). I want to know how much it takes so I know how much to buy. Thanks.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Pretty sure it's about 2.2L.

How many K on it? They do tend to start feeling crunchy with mileage, as long as you can still shift, i wouldn't worry about it. My 1st and 2nd synchros are a little worn, but not too bad.

The manufacturers say alot of stuff... the gasket can be reused no problem. A manual tranny is a low pressure sealing situation and you don't have to worry about the plastic fill screw even being that tight. It is a little hard to reach, long needlenose would help loosen and tighten it.

The drain plug must use a special tool... when i first did a change on it, i couldn't get anything to work. First i assumed like diffs and what not that it was just 3/8" square plug, but 3/8 was too big. Also the plug square is slightly tapered. I ended up making my own special tool from regular steel stock and using a bench grinder to shape it. Torx might work in a pinch though.

As far as gear oil/fluid, it uses a really wonky weight of 75W80 or something, which i can't find anywhere. 75W90 works fine, i bought Royal Purple, expensive but it's worth it. Then just find some clear tubing that fits on the cap nipple, put the tubing in the tranny, and squeeze the crap out of those bottles. You can "flush" the tranny before filling if you want to with clean Varsol, a container of it sprayed through the tranny with the drain plug open is a good way to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its got 16k on it. The service schedule says replace at 30K. I'm jumping the gun but I wanted a start on it because like you said the weight is whack and is a bit hard to find. I also learned to drive stick on this car and there were three or four occasions where I burnt the clutch and smelled something like burning plastic. I'm sure the tranny is fine but I still want to switch to synthetic MTF.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah the sweet smell of clutch is very unique. I can smell burnt clutch a mile away. Performance Unlimited here in London sells the Royal Purple stuff. But you can go with any aftermarket synthetic gear oil, RedLine, LiquiMoly, Brad Penn. Although make sure whatever you buy is safe on all metals. GL-5 gear oil is what you want, but if it says it's compatible with all metals is what i would be more concerned about than the GL rating, GL-4 will eat brass parts inside the tranny.

Correction, i had it backwards, GL-4 is what you want, GL-5 can corrode soft metals. GL-5 is mostly for differentials alone (AKA RWD/4WD vehicles where the differential is usually a separate assembly (there are exceptions)).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Correction, i had it backwards, GL-4 is what you want, GL-5 can corrode soft metals. GL-5 is mostly for differentials alone (AKA RWD/4WD vehicles where the differential is usually a separate assembly (there are exceptions)).
I almost wrote a scathing reply, then saw your correction...

You need GL-4 oil. Or if you DO get a GL-5, read it carefully to ensure it is GL-5/GL-4 compliant. Those do exist, but you need to be certain.

75W-80 GL-4 is fairly common for FWD Transverse mount transmissions with integrated differentials. VW, Audi, GM, Nissan all use the same spec oil for transverse applications.

Now, notchiness in shifting may also be caused by a shift mechanism out of alignment. I haven't had to mess with mine yet, but I will soon as my 2nd and 5th engagements are nearly at the top of my lever travel.

Try the head of a 17mm bolt in the drain plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.