Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all...
I have a 2007 Nissan Versa. Today I went to put some stuff in the trunk only to find that the button right above the license plate no longer opens the trunk. They key works fine to open the trunk, but I like not having to turn the ignition off, and take the key out to open the trunk. Is there a fuse somewhere that I need to replace? I looked in the two locations of which I'm aware, on the drivers' side left of and below the steering wheel and under the hood, but nothing jumped out at me about a trunk release.
I'm hoping that this is not an expensive fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Did it work before? I thought it was a safety feature that it wouldn't open if the key was in the ignition.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Stupid Question: Did you unlock all the doors? Not just the driver's door.

Also, do you have an Intelligent Key, or actual Key? Guessing it's an actual key since you leave it in the car when it's running.....Maybe it's the immobilizer within the keyfob? I've never had issue of opening the trunk with engine running. I have an actual key, and I have to unlock doors to open the trunk for my passenger, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trunk release *used* to work

Trunk release did work before both with the engine off and the engine on. This is NOT an "intelligent key." Just a regular key. Yes, I unlocked all the doors. I've had this car for 5 years and I used to be able to open the trunk with the engine running, as long as the doors were unlocked. Just suddenly stopped working. Anyone got any suggestions where to look?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My guess is that it'd be a mechanical problem with the button itself. I've take it apart and looked at it before, but not in awhile..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm pretty sure it's an electronic trunk release, not a mechanical one. The key works fine to open the trunk, so that portion of things is working fine. I'm not sure if it's just not getting power or whether the switch itself is dead for some reason. I'm leaning towards not getting power because that's a pretty simple switch - not a lot of moving parts there. My problem is I just don't know how to test it and I'd rather not give a Nissan dealer $50 or $100 just to tell me I need to replace the switch or replace a fuse or something. I looked in the two fuse locations of which I'm aware and didn't see anything for a trunk release.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
There may be a manual override switch, allowing hatch release to work/defeat. This switch may have gotten turned off accidentally.
Sorry i don't know where that switch might be.

Edit: just found the trunk release override switch in the glovebox for my Altima, but couldn't find such a thing in the Versa.
imo check your fuses

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 versa hatchback trunk release

My 2008 versa sl hatchback trunk release quit working just before winter & I waited for better weather before troubleshooting it. What I found is the little switch that your fingers touch when you reach under the hatch handle has gone bad. After testing for continuity & getting no reaction I cut the wires, closed the hatch (trunk, whatever you want to call it) & touched the 2 bare wires together & wala, the hatch opened. Now the switch is removeable from the handle but nissan wants to charge over $130.00 to $180.00 for the entire handle assembly. The switch can't cost more that say $8-10 but isn't listed anywhere. Does anyone have any information on that switch or know where you can buy a replacement? thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your best bet is probably going to be salvaging one from a wrecking yard. Nissan only sells the handle as a complete assembly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2008 versa sl hatchback trunk release quit working just before winter & I waited for better weather before troubleshooting it. What I found is the little switch that your fingers touch when you reach under the hatch handle has gone bad. After testing for continuity & getting no reaction I cut the wires, closed the hatch (trunk, whatever you want to call it) & touched the 2 bare wires together & wala, the hatch opened. Now the switch is removeable from the handle but nissan wants to charge over $130.00 to $180.00 for the entire handle assembly. The switch can't cost more that say $8-10 but isn't listed anywhere. Does anyone have any information on that switch or know where you can buy a replacement? thanks.
yeah Mine stopped working about a month ago. I cannot believe that Nissan would not have put a manual switch (other than the emergency one) in this car!!! I plan on installing an outside key cylinder for the hatch as soon as I can. even if I can fix the issue now, I would rather not have to deal with this again if it rolls around...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems to be a common issue. No wonder Nissan only sell it as a complete unit. I just removed both the handle assembly and lock /solenoid assembly then I found this thread.
If it IS just the actual button itself, I'm just going to get the smallest generic button I can from Autobarn (our version of Autozone) and make it fit lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Do any of you guys use the OD button? You could just unplug it and leave it that way.

Me, of course I use it when towing or to stop the tranny from hunting gears. Second is in heavy traffic so I can drive without using the brakes. I brake by lifting off the throttle in other vehicles.

My honda had a selector in the shift pattern so no button in the shifter end other than to move the stick between positions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Seems to be a common issue. No wonder Nissan only sell it as a complete unit. I just removed both the handle assembly and lock /solenoid assembly then I found this thread.
If it IS just the actual button itself, I'm just going to get the smallest generic button I can from Autobarn (our version of Autozone) and make it fit lol.
Same issue here. From what I read in the service manual, there is a computer controlled device in one of the doors that tells the trunk lock to open. I too, checked the fuses, wiring to the trunk lock activator, and all appears to be in order. Again, from the service manual, to find the problem, the door panels need to be taken off, and then you need the proper electrical equipment in order to diagnose the issue. If you go to the dealer service department, they will not be able to give you a firm price as to the amount of labor hours the technician will have to log in order to fine the problem. Found it a lot easier just to use the key to open the trunk. I know its a pain, but it beats the alternative. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, all...
I have a 2007 Nissan Versa. Today I went to put some stuff in the trunk only to find that the button right above the license plate no longer opens the trunk. They key works fine to open the trunk, but I like not having to turn the ignition off, and take the key out to open the trunk. Is there a fuse somewhere that I need to replace? I looked in the two locations of which I'm aware, on the drivers' side left of and below the steering wheel and under the hood, but nothing jumped out at me about a trunk release.
I'm hoping that this is not an expensive fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you able to fix your issue? I'm having the same issue with my TIIDA 2012

1 - 14 of 14 Posts