Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
...explain? like, a normal car would have?

possibly hard. but, i think you would only need a long cable that reaches to the back of the emergency release cable that's already on your trunk. just make it run till you get it to the side of your seat.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I wanted to try and move the gas release cable over to the trunk release. I don't need a fuel release. I don't mind pushing the flap open by hand. No trunk release gets annoying sometimes though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not sure how much different the 2014 is compared with my 07, but on my 07 the trunk release button next to the trunk lid is electronic. Basically you reach under the trunk lid and press a button which electronically disengages the trunk latch. Mine doesn't work anymore but that is another matter.

If it is electronic like this, a remote release up on the dash would best be retroffited with something electric that would actuate the electronic trunk release already on the car. Certainly better than a mechanical cable. The mechanical cable that is used for my Versa fuel door release has failed and/or become loose on multiple occasions which kind of sours me on the idea of a mechanical/cable system.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
wonder if I could just buy the electronic trunk piece and wire it in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would it be a big deal to install a trunk release in my Versa S?
Have you looked to see if it is pre-wired? I was looking at my trunk latch the other day and noticed there is an wired clipped into it. I haven't traced the wired back yet, but I'm assuming one could just buy and alarm system and wire it up.

I have the 2013 s and plan on eventually wiring up the actuators.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey, i'm from jamaica, recently bought a 08 nissan tiida latio. it came without a trunk release button, and it was a pain for me to have to turn off the car to use the key to open the trunk especially at work for security checks. the trunk latch actually has a harness connected to it, and after research i discover the latch has a actuator motor in it. so my friend(owns a 07)and i pull down the covering, and discovered a switch harness, bridge the pins in the harness, and the actuator moved. so i did was run a wire inside the car and connected a switch to it, so the trunk can open from the inside with the push of a button:grin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plastic Plate

My 2009 Versa S sedan came with the trunk release even though the salesperson didn't think the sedan had one. It is a rubber membrane button between the two license plate lamps. What year is your S?

Frank 2009 Versa S Sedan MT-6
Hi Frank,

I have a 2014 and mine has a plastic plate between the tag lights. I have found a kit for less than $30 on ebay to hook up a button but have not worked up the nerve to buy it and try hooking it up.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Look up the pinout for the lock actuator, run wires in parallel for a switch between actuator motor, game over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back from the dead

Look up the pinout for the lock actuator, run wires in parallel for a switch between actuator motor, game over.
Hi. New to the forum. Nothing like making my first post one where I resurrect an old thread back from the dead!

So, I am a brand new 2014 Nissan Versa S owner. Really enjoying the little car. I realized, as others have mentioned in this thread, that the trunk lock already has a harness with some wires (2 i think) running from it. I am assuming that the actuator for the electronic release is already in there somewhere. It would seem to me to be fairly easy to make this work if the actuator is there and there is already some wires plugged in! However, I have a couple of questions so that I can avoid completely screwing this up since my electrical knowledge is pretty sparse - just enough to completely screw something up.

1. Where do these wires go? On models with trunk releases I believe they are to the left of the drivers seat. There are some wires already under the seat - could they be for the unattached trunk release button?

2. If I understand this, I just need to send a pulse of electricity to the actuator and it should open (which I am assuming is what happens when the button is pushed - it closes the circuit). So, if I can figure out the wiring, I could get any sort of button, switch or toggle that makes me happy as long as it closes the circuit, right?

3. If these wires under the seat are indeed for the trunk, are they coming from the fuse and I just need the button to close the circuit?

4. Does it matter which wire goes to what? I am guessing that one is coming from the fuse and the other returns to complete the loop. If its as simple as that, it doesn't really matter which one is connected to what, as long as I complete the circuit, right?

Ok, I think thats it for now. Sorry for all the basic questions but the car is less than a week old and I would hate to bridge some wires that wind up blowing up something.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh you are so in luck. I too am a 2014 Nissan Versa S owner.

I now have installed. Power windows, locks, trunk release, alarm (keyless entry), and remote start.

I actually don't believe any versas come with a trunk release inside the car.

The way I did my trunk release is with a power lock actuator. I went this route because I believed the wires back there were for the lights.

I mounted it out of sight and all you see is a nice black wire shielding from a bike lock cable coming down and I use the "Emergency I'm stuck in the trunk" latch to open the trunk. Works very reliably and is secure. You have to do a bit of tinkering to get it right.

If you're interested in a how to. I'll write one up for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Versa S

Oh you are so in luck. I too am a 2014 Nissan Versa S owner.

I now have installed. Power windows, locks, trunk release, alarm (keyless entry), and remote start.

I actually don't believe any versas come with a trunk release inside the car.

The way I did my trunk release is with a power lock actuator. I went this route because I believed the wires back there were for the lights.

I mounted it out of sight and all you see is a nice black wire shielding from a bike lock cable coming down and I use the "Emergency I'm stuck in the trunk" latch to open the trunk. Works very reliably and is secure. You have to do a bit of tinkering to get it right.

If you're interested in a how to. I'll write one up for you.
LizardV - Do you have any pics of your installs? Need to know where you mounted the actuators on the doors and power window motors./ any and all help is appreciated

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just wrote up a "How To:" It's my first one, so it might not get approved by the mod, but I'll do my best to fix it up and get it approved. It covers the power locks. Here are the images for the power lock tutorial Gallery

You'll get an idea of how to do the doors and windows. I'll try to get better photos of the window motors for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So the trunk solenoid didn't work for me. What I ended up doing is using a door lock actuator and rigging it up with a bicycle brake cable. It works the same way the emergency trunk release works. You know that handle if you get locked in the trunk.

I was able to hide the actuator nicely.

I got all the power in the kick panel. I'll take pictures this weekend. It snowed here so I want to wait until that clears up. The mod hasn't approved my how too yet though. I forgot the step about removing the manual window crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Iíll be the first reader on the how to. I've read how to wire all cars and models, and been looking for months for the Versa. Sounds like a good idea for the trunk. I was planning to connect the trunk solenoid to the emergency trunk release as a last resort.

I've done the doors since I changed the stereo and speakers, and added two speakers in the back doors. I had to remove them again a week after because the vibration unplugged two of the wires, so I ended up tightening all of them again.

The only thing I'v never done before is touching the electrical components of the car. I found this wiring chart for the versa, can you tell if it is accurate from what you have seen?

2012-*Nissan*Versa*Vehicle Wiring Chart and Diagram

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dad scavenged the cable and housing from a 1997 corolla and found that it fits fine into the bodywork. The inside trunk release is hooked up to a slider that has room for another cable and housing, so it's clearly engineered with the potential for a trunk release cable. He tucked a bicycle brake lever under the plastic door framing where a trunk release normally goes and crewed it on.

I'll yank a similar cable+housing from a junkyard car at some point and take photos when he helps me duplicate his setup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.