Nissan Versa Forums banner

Trunk won't open 2009 Versa Hatchback

145K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  laurie_webster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone had this problem and solved it? My hatchback won't pop open. It doesn't make a noise when unlocking. So I don't know if it's not unlocking or if it is the whole thing.
Need Help? I have tried everything.

#2 ·
I'm having that same damn problem!! I don't know what it could be. I checked fuses and relays. But I don't seem to be finding a fuse/relay that is labeled TRUNK anything.
I took it to the dealer and they said they were gonna charge me $100 just to look at it.
So I said screw that.
I popped off that little black cap that is on the inside of the hatch and there is a little white lever that you can push to the side and it opens the hatch.

#3 ·
hello Fukuyama310,

What was your final solution to the hatch problem. I'm having same thing on my 09 hatch.
From a little bit of searching I found your post. I'm hoping you could give me your best advice on cheapest and easiest fix. I've seen in my searches: passenger side part 80500-ELO18B needs replacing, or you can jump this part electrically, possible blown fuse, bad hatch button, or take to dealer for $350+ fix .
Looking for advice from somebody with direct experience with this.

Thank you, ---getting tired of crawling over back seats to manually open the hatch.

#4 ·
I had a hatch come through the body shop with the same problems, all the wiring had power running through, but wouldn't activate the mechanism. We just ended up replacing the latch on the deck, problem solved.

Note. This only works if power is running to the mechanism. Power should be checked first. Could be cheaper to fix an electrical problem over replacing components.

#5 · (Edited)
I actually just fixed this issue on my 2010 HB yesterday. The issue (on mine at least) was that the BCM reads the lock value off the front passenger-side lock actuator to determine whether to open the hatch or not when the button is pressed, and the actuator was telling the BCM constantly that the door was locked, even when it wasn't. I ordered that actuator from NissanPartsZone.com, and everything worked again once I replaced it.

The part is 80-500-EL01B. It took me about an hour and a half to do. You'll need to use the service manual, which can be found at this link. The information you'll need to help you replace the actuator starts on BL-166. You'll also need to read through EI-34 and GW-44.

Of course, before you do all that, make sure that this is the issue that's happening. To do that, disconnect the cable from the lock actuator in the front passenger door, and use a paper clip to short the yellow wire to the black wire. If you do that, and the hatch is able to open while it's shorted, that's your issue.

Note that I have the 2010 model with power windows, etc. If you have a different model or trim, I'd suggest you contact the folks at NissanPartsZone.com with your VIN; they can make sure you're getting the right part.

#8 ·
Trunk actuator latch and remote key open fix

The post on the fix for the trunk not opening problem is several years old. Can anyone confirm that this fix still works? I have a Versa 2009 SL HB and the trunk doesn't open with the keyless entry or using the button latch. Going to try and fix. Can post images and guide but first wanted to get feedback from you guys. Please let me know, especially if the part number is still valid? Thanks.

#9 ·
2010 Nissan Versa HB (Trunk won't open)

I'm having the same problem. The outside of the trunk won't open, my horn is not working, and the airbag light is on. I'm not sure if all three are related.

All the fuses and wires look fine. I'm going to take it for inspection and will post any updates.

#10 ·
Hi everyone! I know this thread began awhile back but I to am having problems with my hatchback pushbutton not allowing me to open the hatch when pressed. I can unlock and lock all for doors with key fob. I used to be able to unlock my car and push the bottom under handle on my hatchback to open it and now i can't. I watched a video about the actuator in the front passage door being the culprit and if changed out that may fix the issue but how do I know for sure this is the problem?

#11 ·
Hi AmyEAM28, Yes, if you look at my post(s) on the horn, trunk not opening, etc. You'll find detailed instructions and feedback on how replacing the passenger door actuator fixed the trunk opening issue. Also, with regards to the horn, mine stopped working too, but had to replace the clock spring to fix this issue. I posted very detailed instructions with images on replacing the clock spring too. Best to you.

#13 ·
I bought mine and I didn't realize the hatch wouldn't open. They wouldn't fix it because it was past the thirty days. Dealer wanted 100 to put it on the diagnostic thing and I said no way. Now 2 years later and I still have to crawl through the back to open it. I don't see anywhere in the hatch area on the outside where there is a button or anything else to press to open it..

#17 ·
After finding out that you had to take apart the passenger side door to get to the control unit to try and figure out what was wrong, I decided it was a lot easier just to use the key to open the trunk of my 2009 versa sedan. I know that was not the answer you wanted to hear, but it works for me. Good luck!!

#18 · (Edited)
I can confirm that the front passenger door lock actuator is the culprit of the hatch not opening. The repair is not difficult at all. Took me half an hour. However, the hatch will only open if the passenger door is open for some reason. It is not tied into the latch. I manually closed the latch with the door open and it would open, but with the door closed it will not open. Better than not opening at all, but still a pain. Hopefully I can figure out the problem and update.

Repair instructions:
Remove trim piece around inside handle
Remove and unplug door control module
Remove 2 screws holding door panel onto door
Pull up on bottom corners of door panel and pop off from door
Unplug speaker wire
Remove plastic lining from door
Unscrew inner handle screw from door
Slide inner handle away from frame and pop off from door
Remove actuator cables from handle
Peel off black sticker on door above the latch to access star bit screw and unscrew. (Don’t worry about the screw falling, it will stay in the plastic handle bracket)
Pop off small cover next to outer handle
Pull outer handle out and towards outside of door to remove
Carefully remove two plastic pieces around handle holes
Unscrew screw holding lower window track onto door and remove track
Unclip looped actuator cable from clip behind foam
Unclip 2 actuator cables they were attached to inner handle from clips on door
Unscrew 3 star bit screws holding actuator to door around latch
Remove plastic handle bracket from inside door where outer handle attaches
Unplug wiring from actuator and remove the actuator

Reverse process to install. Make sure the looped cable is in the proper place so it doesn’t interfere with window coming down the track

#19 ·
However, the hatch will only open if the passenger door is open for some reason. It is not tied into the latch. I manually closed the latch with the door open and it would open, but with the door closed it will not open. Better than not opening at all, but still a pain. Hopefully I can figure out the problem and update.
The same thing happened to me! Replaced with an OE Quality part that fixed the trunk not opening at all, but now I have this problem. Did you ever find the fix for this? Wondering if I should have coughed up the extra dough for the Nissan manufactured part...

#21 ·
Its a ground issue... my hubby likes to make big sound systems... he's good at what he does but he's messy. So here ya go.... on the inside of the back hatch.... look for the little brown clip. On the hatch side of that clip... is a blue wire. Cut it and attach it to the frame of the hatch. The metal. Ground it out and poof all better
Has anyone had this problem and solved it. My hatchback won't pop open. It doesn't make noise when unlocking. So i don't know if it's not unlocking or if it is the whole thing. Need Help I have tried
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hand

Its a ground issue... my hubby likes to make big sound systems... he's good at what he does but he's messy. So here ya go.... on the inside of the back hatch.... look for the little brown clip. On the hatch side of that clip... is a blue wire. Cut it and attach it to the frame of the hatch. The metal. Ground it out and poof all better

Well the men folk got word of what i was doing and im not allowed to cut the wire. So..im just going to sit back and laugh when im right and they did way more than necessary.

#23 ·
I know this is a old but, still active thread. I had it still have the same issue with my trunk on my hatchback that wont open. And making a ground wire works but, when locking the car the trunk stays unlocked. Also theres no trunk release Switch or button on my vehicle. Got creative. So I what I did was I just brought the Switch inside. Here's my video I uploaded on youtube. Hope this help.

2009 Nissan Versa S 4 door Hatchback 6 Speed Manual.

#25 ·
As I checked with few guyz from Garage & a friend of mine who has the same issue with same kind of car, this issue (Trunk won't open by the switch) is related to computer module. which will cost bit to replace or repair.

For me I just made a duplicate key just for Trunk (Which is better than turning off the engine to take the key but still annoys me) but my friend just directly gave a line to trunk lock actuator so it's always in Unlock position (While we don't have to worry about theft or security issue here in State of Qatar, he is ok with that) but may be (I think) we can disconnect the power line of trunk actuator & take a separate same line from a Door & give it to trunk actuator so it will unlock the trunk to gather with other door.

(I'm not an expert but just thought this way)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.