Nissan Versa Forums banner

TSB NTB-09-127 Intermediate Steering Shaft Issue

35K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  maxpower 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First time poster. I've been Googling all morning, and can't find what I'm looking for. There is a common issue in Nissan Versas with the intermediate steering shaft (TSB NTB-09-127) where it makes a clunking noise when turning.

Has anyone else had this issue, and was it covered under the powertrain warranty? I have an 09 with 33,000 miles that is just out of warranty - of course. I also tried using the forum search, but couldn't find info on the issue.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong subforum, and thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Take it to a dealer and ask them if it is covered under the powertrain warranty. I have a 2010 Versa HB that needed some work and to my surprise the dealer said it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I had 44,000 miles and the factory warranty had expired. Nissan may have a fix for it too without an official recall. BTW, my steering wheel makes a noise when turning it and I'm thinking of having it checked out.

#4 ·
Yes, I have had the intermediate steering shaft problem with mine, but fortunately it was when the car was less than two years old so the warranty wasn't the issue. After the third visit on this issue with NPF (no problem found) I called the service manager and politely explained the situation and my expectations. On the next visit they correctly diagnosed and fixed it. Put me in a rental also.

Another time with an unrelated issue on a part that was covered under warranty, a Nissan dealership refused to fix it claiming it wasn't under warranty. Nissan corporate was of no help either (very long story). I then called another dealership, asked for the service manager, explained the situation. They determined it was a warranty item and promptly fixed it.

Therefore, my experience has been, start with the service manager on the phone in a polite conversation. That has been my only way to resolve issues with Nissan. Good luck with your issue, Nissan should own up and fix it on their dime, especially with your low mileage. Nissan knows they installed defective intermediate steering shafts in Versas.

#5 ·
So the clunking persists, but my Versa left a gift on my driveway the other morning:

This has been an adult-owned and driven car. The miles are low. I have NEVER, in all of my 25 years of driving, had a car just up and blow a coil spring. Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Dodge, not once. The service manager confirmed the part being defective and told me to contact Nissan corporate, which we did. After a lengthy back and forth with a rude customer service rep that lasted about two weeks, I was pretty much told to piss off, they weren't going to handle it. Even after I told them they were losing an SUV sale when I replace my Trailblazer, her response was "oh well, can we help you with anything else?" Never again. Now I just want to be rid of this thing. I should have bought a damn Kia for a secondary small car.

#6 ·
another broken coil!! Hot damn we really should do something. What happens down the road after a few years of use and these things start braking off the car while we are driving 75mph down the highway. I'm starting to feel unsafe driving my kid around and I have a baby on the way too.

I've been a nissan guy all my life and I have been lucky with my V but it sure isn't up to the standards of any other nissan I have ever owned. Especially the older nissans. My girlfriend has a 2012 altima coupe. That is better quality as it should be since it was over double the price of my car but even that doesn't seem to have the same quality of the 240's I had and not even close to the infiniti g20.

#7 ·
I've already contacted the BBB. Next up, I'll be filing a complaint with the NHTSA. There just seems to be the possibility that there might be something inherently dangerous about coil springs just up and snapping, yanno? This car only has 33,000 miles on it! I take it easy when it drives, I have a perfect safety record, I keep up with maintenance. It's not like I'm playing Dukes of hazzard with this thing, it's just a damn Nissan!

#8 ·
hopefully you get the ball rolling. I can't really complain or file a complaint since it hasn't happened to me. I do play dukes of hazard with my V actually and I have 129k miles. But I think it's just a matter of time before mine break. But I hope this is all well document by the owners that it has already happened too so when it's my time there is a proper course of action for me to take.

#9 · (Edited)
I too have the clunking sound...

I gave to a garage who inspected the axle boot and told they have no grease inside.
he told the clip holding the axle boot was broken
as a fix, the garage first filled the grease, and then put new clips to the axle boot.
[ however the sound was still there :( ]

this was in january, so i assume any grease that had leaked on the car body should have disappeared by now by car washes...

recently - a week ago, i changed my tires, they offered a free vehicle checkup, where he inspected the bottom of the vehicle, and the mechanic showed me ALL GREASE splattered near the axle boot. so i assume its gone again.

the clunking sound has been there all its life, i dont know if its due to these axle boot problems or the intermediate shaft problem...

however i care for the axle boot, and i will be replacing the axle boots within 2 weeks...
i really dont know if this will fix the clunking sound or not (hope it does)

#11 ·
axles won't clunk. It will be a clicking noise when turning. The single clunk as you turn which can be felt in the steering wheel is the intermediate shaft. it's a repetitive clicking noise for the axle.

#12 ·
Nissan got back to me the other day after posting to Facebook and hashtagging the photos. Pretty quickly, actually. This was their response:

Considering the frequency in which this part is breaking, and on low mileage cars, and the safety concern that exists, it is appalling to me that Nissan is not handling this the way they should.

#21 ·
Considering the frequency in which this part is breaking, and on low mileage cars, and the safety concern that exists, it is appalling to me that Nissan is not handling this the way they should.
we can report the problem to carsafer.gov website
it states:
"Welcome to SaferCar.gov, where you can identify and report problems you might be having with your vehicle, tires, equipment or car seats. If you think you have a problem, we want you to tell us about it. We are the Office of Defects Investigation, or ODI. We are a part of the U.S. DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the nation's only agency authorized to conduct defect investigations and administer safety recalls on everything from vehicles and equipment to tires and child safety seats. Our engineers and investigators look into problems you report to help ensure you and others stay safe on our nation's roads and highways."

last year the toyota prius had the same problem
Toyota Prius recalled for two fixes

2013 subaru Outback same problem
2013 Subaru Outback and Legacy Recalled To Replace Steering Column Assembly

GM recalls 55,000 trucks and SUVs for steering-column defect

okay back to bed I go.... :sleep:

#16 ·
if your axle which is the CV joint is already clicking then a boot won't do you any good. The boot is what cover the CV joint portion of the axle. If that is ripped and torn the grease comes out and you end up running metal on metal and dirt gets in there. You can rebuild your axles and put new boots on but most people just opt for buying a whole new axle.

CV joint fix and boot replacement are NOT the same thing. If the boot is torn but the cv joint is ok (not clicking) then a new boot and some fresh grease would be all you needed.

#17 ·
Good news. Even though complaints via "new channels" such as Twitter, Facebook, and this forum did nothing to change Nissan's mind about covering this defective part, a tried and true "old channel" worked. I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. Last week, we were contacted by Nissan's Arbitration Dept, and they immediately Fed-Exed a check covering the entire repair.

#18 ·
sweet! glad it's working out.

#19 ·
I have a 2010 Versa HB and it makes a noise when turning the wheel. Not a clunk, but more like a rubbing sound. I called the dealership and they said there is no way of knowing the cause without looking at it. Also, they said my warranty has expired and it might be covered under the powertrain warranty. I think it may just need lubrication somewhere. The steering wheel does not feel like it is resisting. Just making a noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.