Nissan Versa Forums banner

Turbo Kit

39K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  JVersa 
This debate may get heated. This he said/she said is getting old with this turbo deal. None of us have turbo'd the V, there has only been one turbo Versa and it was fully custom. All of this is only speculation UNTIL someone ACTUALLY does it. A few big issues I see with turbo'ing the Versa are: turbo manifold, injectors, and maf. I'll start with the turbo manifold.

JV, so it's a different bolt pattern on the flange... then what? You take it to a machine shop and they do what? cut the flange off and a make a new one, then tig it on?

1. How do you know the Juke manifold will position the turbo in the right place.
2. Are the exhaust ports the same size, in the same positions, or same shapes?

Something that may look the same, really aren't - (this is my opinion) I wouldn't believe something Nissan tech said. I have to see it to believe it until then its hear-say.

You would be better off having a fabrication shop make you a turbo manifold that will put the turbo in a ideal place for the MR18/Versa. It will out-perform any oem manifold in every way. It may cost around 1-1,500. It would be well worth it.

Now, the injectors & maf: what size are the injectors? I have never seen any info on these injectors or what they max out at, are they top feed or side feed? Same goes for the maf? what voltage will it max out when boosting.

semantics, a quick Google search, or call to nissans info line could give you the answers. I'm just not into telling ppl its not possible, and all the info I have done myself. I have heard a lot of things, but don't take what I hear without a grain of salt.

Also a custom-built maniflod at 1000-1500 would be about the same price as the Juke mani. new. The turbo runs around 850 new. If that's that's the case it might be a good call to build a turbo kit, but I'm not gonna get to far a head of myself.

Any way my point was most info leans towards this being a cheaper and safe route to go with a stock Nissan turbo. I don't want to see it shot down before the idea has a chance.
Calling Nissan isnt going to give me any answers, they aren't doing custom fabrication in their shops. I'm not telling people it's impossible either. Anything is possible if you have the money to spend.

Here is a front picture of the Juke engine.

The first picture: The intake manifold on the Juke is completely different than that on the MR18. The Juke intake manifold gives you clearance when you mount the turbo on that manifold (shown in the second picture) the design of that ex manifold places the turbo on top. That wont work on the MR18 because the intake manifold is right there. This Juke manifold isnt going to work because of clearance between the turbo placement (juke) and intake manifold (MR18/Versa) Look at the charge pipe coming off the turbo that goes into the intercooler on the Juke, how is that going to work on a Versa... uness you go custom exhaust manifold made for the MR18/Versa. Now you're looking at a different intake manifold to make the Juke manifold fit, plus custom work to the Juke ex manifold.

Heres the MR18 -

Compare the two pictures.

... At what point is this whole idea worth it? Thats my question... Built a manifold that will fit the mr18/versa and use the turbo you want

By the time you buy a juke manifold and pay to modify it you will be up close to a custom manifold. Maybe you can DIY the hole if it's even possible which I doubt. The runners would have to be the exact spacing and you would need enough room for your new holes.
This is kind of what I was getting at. Is the distance between the ports the same?

Rob, I'm sure you've heard the qg18de exhaust manifold bolts up the ga16de and vise versa... however I highly doubt this is the same situation. He stated the bolt pattern is different, I'm referring to everything else.

It's not difficult to relocate the battery. You just need a dry cell battery, 0/1 gauge wire, and inline fuse or circuit breaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.