Nissan Versa Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
was on courtesyparts.com and saw you can finally buy the manifold turbo and such for the juke...now just need it to be done!! haha

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
LOL...somebody could retrofit the Juke turbo into the Versa!

And yes, the list for the aftermarket turbokit is still active!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Juke manifold will not fit so that is a no go. Wish it would for you mr18 guys. A custom one made would run up close to $1k I bet.

·
Registered
656 Posts
maybe take the current one(1.8) and the juke manifold and weld the turbo flange on there...maybe...thats still pretty spendy, of course we all know turbo is never cheap

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I know that the MR16DDT engine from the juke is turbocharged with about 180 HP, different from your 1.6's but similar to our 1.8's? Maybe try to base the idea off that engine, I heard there is a member looking to swap their engine with the MR16DDT, just trying to find some new piping for the IC.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Well I know that the MR16DDT engine from the juke is turbocharged with about 180 HP, different from your 1.6's but similar to our 1.8's? Maybe try to base the idea off that engine, I heard there is a member looking to swap their engine with the MR16DDT, just trying to find some new piping for the IC.
Like I stated earlier in the thread the exhaust manifold does not bolt on to the mr18. A manifold is the only car specific component of a turbo system. It is the only thing you need to work and everything else is custom. In this case the manifold will need to be custom. Possibly taking the stock mr18de manifold and welding a turbo flange on might work but most likely it will not sit the turbo in an ideal location.

As far a IC piping goes I'm assuming anyone turbo charging a V will be lower boost anyway and they make flexible hose that can stand up to that kind of pressure. I have seen people use it on other cars. Plus it has a fantastic bend radius so routing would be no issue. Afterall the juke uses alot of rubber hoses as IC pipes from the factory so this wouldn't be any worse.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Juke manifold will not fit so that is a no go. Wish it would for you mr18 guys. A custom one made would run up close to $1k I bet.
I don't know where you guys get your info, but all the parts you need will fit the versa, there are diiferent bolt patterns that's it, simple machine job will fix that. Also its the HR16DDT not the MR16. Every forum I see this question has ppl saying it won't work, like they bought the parts and test fitted em them selfless. Nissan mechanics say parts will fit.

·
Administrator
5,026 Posts
This debate may get heated. This he said/she said is getting old with this turbo deal. None of us have turbo'd the V, there has only been one turbo Versa and it was fully custom. All of this is only speculation UNTIL someone ACTUALLY does it. A few big issues I see with turbo'ing the Versa are: turbo manifold, injectors, and maf. I'll start with the turbo manifold.

JV, so it's a different bolt pattern on the flange... then what? You take it to a machine shop and they do what? cut the flange off and a make a new one, then tig it on?

1. How do you know the Juke manifold will position the turbo in the right place.
2. Are the exhaust ports the same size, in the same positions, or same shapes?

Something that may look the same, really aren't - (this is my opinion) I wouldn't believe something Nissan tech said. I have to see it to believe it until then its hear-say.

You would be better off having a fabrication shop make you a turbo manifold that will put the turbo in a ideal place for the MR18/Versa. It will out-perform any oem manifold in every way. It may cost around 1-1,500. It would be well worth it.

Now, the injectors & maf: what size are the injectors? I have never seen any info on these injectors or what they max out at, are they top feed or side feed? Same goes for the maf? what voltage will it max out when boosting.

·
Registered
993 Posts
semantics, a quick Google search, or call to nissans info line could give you the answers. I'm just not into telling ppl its not possible, and all the info I have done myself. I have heard a lot of things, but don't take what I hear without a grain of salt.

Also a custom-built maniflod at 1000-1500 would be about the same price as the Juke mani. new. The turbo runs around 850 new. If that's that's the case it might be a good call to build a turbo kit, but I'm not gonna get to far a head of myself.

Any way my point was most info leans towards this being a cheaper and safe route to go with a stock Nissan turbo. I don't want to see it shot down before the idea has a chance.

·
Administrator
5,026 Posts
semantics, a quick Google search, or call to nissans info line could give you the answers. I'm just not into telling ppl its not possible, and all the info I have done myself. I have heard a lot of things, but don't take what I hear without a grain of salt.

Also a custom-built maniflod at 1000-1500 would be about the same price as the Juke mani. new. The turbo runs around 850 new. If that's that's the case it might be a good call to build a turbo kit, but I'm not gonna get to far a head of myself.

Any way my point was most info leans towards this being a cheaper and safe route to go with a stock Nissan turbo. I don't want to see it shot down before the idea has a chance.
Calling Nissan isnt going to give me any answers, they aren't doing custom fabrication in their shops. I'm not telling people it's impossible either. Anything is possible if you have the money to spend.

Here is a front picture of the Juke engine.

The first picture: The intake manifold on the Juke is completely different than that on the MR18. The Juke intake manifold gives you clearance when you mount the turbo on that manifold (shown in the second picture) the design of that ex manifold places the turbo on top. That wont work on the MR18 because the intake manifold is right there. This Juke manifold isnt going to work because of clearance between the turbo placement (juke) and intake manifold (MR18/Versa) Look at the charge pipe coming off the turbo that goes into the intercooler on the Juke, how is that going to work on a Versa... uness you go custom exhaust manifold made for the MR18/Versa. Now you're looking at a different intake manifold to make the Juke manifold fit, plus custom work to the Juke ex manifold.

Heres the MR18 -

Compare the two pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I don't know where you guys get your info, but all the parts you need will fit the versa, there are diiferent bolt patterns that's it, simple machine job will fix that. Also its the HR16DDT not the MR16. Every forum I see this question has ppl saying it won't work, like they bought the parts and test fitted em them selfless. Nissan mechanics say parts will fit.
The fact you think the Juke has an hr16ddt proves so much. There is no such engine as an hr16ddt. It most definitely is an mr16ddt. If you don't believe me check nissan's website http://www.nissanusa.com/crossovers/juke/versions-specs. I don't need to buy the parts to know that manifolds with two totally different bolt patterns will not interchange. That is just common sense. People are looking for a plug n play and drilling out a flange is not plug n play. Is that a possibility sure.

If a nissan mechanic says they are interchangeable then don't ever get info from him again.

By the time you buy a juke manifold and pay to modify it you will be up close to a custom manifold. Maybe you can DIY the hole if it's even possible which I doubt. The runners would have to be the exact spacing and you would need enough room for your new holes.

Just to let you know there is no such thing as a "stock nissan turbo". Nissan doesn't make the turbo's. One turbo isn't safer then another either. It's all in the tune not the turbo.

I'm not shooting down turbo charging a V. I want one of you guys to do it. But the juke manifold will not bolt on without modification. If someone wants to toy around with it all the power to them. But like I've stated over and over again a custom manifold is the way to go. There are plenty of turbo tiida's out there right now. I only saw one mr18 but there are a bunch of hr16 turbo cars.

·
Administrator
5,026 Posts
... At what point is this whole idea worth it? Thats my question... Built a manifold that will fit the mr18/versa and use the turbo you want

By the time you buy a juke manifold and pay to modify it you will be up close to a custom manifold. Maybe you can DIY the hole if it's even possible which I doubt. The runners would have to be the exact spacing and you would need enough room for your new holes.
This is kind of what I was getting at. Is the distance between the ports the same?

Rob, I'm sure you've heard the qg18de exhaust manifold bolts up the ga16de and vise versa... however I highly doubt this is the same situation. He stated the bolt pattern is different, I'm referring to everything else.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I do know different engines share the same exhaust manifold flange. When the Juke came out and I found out it was turbo I looked up the exhaust manifold and compared the stud pattern. I really was hoping it was a bolt on affair for you guys and the sentra guys.

Found a clear pic of the juke flanges. Not sure where you would drill. It doesnt have the extra meat on the flange like the versa does. Probably due to how hot it gets there. Less chance for cracking that way.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The engine was sold in North America as an MR as a marketing ploy, its an HR. The MR is the more popular engine over here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My question kind of relates to this post, but how difficult is it to relocate the battery to the trunk. A lot of vehicles have their batteries in the trunk and seeing that us Versa owners can use as much room as we can get. Having a SRI and a relocated battery would create enough room to work with for piping and intercooler. It might be an expensive and difficult mod that would seem to be an aggravating job, but hey we're already talking $1,500.00+ for a new manifold.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Okay so question, couldn't you just buy a new exhaust manifold (or check at the wreckers or ebay for a good used one) and then cut off the end and weld on a turbo flange? Let me hear some thoughts on this.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts