Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2011 Versa SL hatchback with the NAV package. It has a roof mounted stubby antenna AND one built into the windshield. Can someone sort this out for me? I was told by the salesman, the stubby was only used for satellite radio - and the windshield antenna was for regular radio.

The reason(s) I'm asking: 1) My custom-fit car cover has no provision for the antenna; 2) I will not be subscribing to satellite radio. In other words, IF the stubby's only function is for satellite radio, I'll remove it. Also, I'm assuming it doesn't effect the function of the NAV system.

Thanks, james

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I have the built in satellite too and I believe it is worked into the stubby antenna because the base of my stubby antenna is much larger than those whose Versa's do not have the built in XM.

I have no idea about the windshield antenna though on the Versa.

I know for my dad's minivan it has the built in antenna into the front windshield, but then no outer antenna. I don't see the Versa having two.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Antenna on the roof is the main radio antenna the other one might be for the gps or the built in receiver antenna for key-fob remotes.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ive never heard of that. The in glass antenna is for the radio, but it is on the more expensive cars, like Altima, Maxima, Camry, Avalon, etc. If you look at an altima, there is no antenna, thats because it is an in glass antenna. If you look at an altima with satellite radio, on the roof it has this very small box looking thing, thats for satellite. Dont believe that sales guy, he dosent know what hes talking about. My dad has a cube with satellite radio, and it only has one antenna. The versa work's the same way. The radio and satellite work off of the same antenna. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks iluvmyVersa08, Clean_4th gen, McLeod1981 and Versa S 2009 for your replies. It appears to remain a mystery. I managed to view a 93-page Audio FSM for the 2011 Versa. It made NO mention of any windshield antenna. Both NAV and non-NAV sections appeared to use the roof/rod antenna. Yet, my 2011 Hatchback {non-alarm} has one large top/center windshield antenna - and no one seems to know its function. I'm surprised - but, will pursue ferreting out its purpose.

At this juncture, it appears I need to retain the stubby roof antenna - car cover or not. Of course, my next step(s) will be to try the non-satellite radio and GPS with and without the Stubby.

Thank you all ~ james

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Cut the wire and see what quits:reddevil:
lol, I don't mean to be off topic, but did you know that when connecting the radio head unit, even if the harness is connected, as long as the antenna plug is not connected to the radio, the radio and the interior accent lighting system will not turn on, unless the antenna plug is connected to the radio? weird huh? I figured that out when doing a OEM radio with aftermarket amp, or factory audio integration as you can say. These cars are wired weird, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
there should be something in the owner's manual about it. my 07 uses the roof mount antenna for the radio. (no satellite radio).

I would assume the roof is for radio and any other small antenna would be for satellite.

just unscrew it to put the cover on, and put it back on when your'e ready to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
APLPIX wrote: "So you're worried about using your car cover, cause you're curious about your car antenna?"

I guess maybe I didn't communicate my query clearly enough. The two items are related. My 'custom fit' car cover doesn't accommodate the stubby rear mounted antenna. It had been posited the rod antenna was only used for satellite radio and/or GPS purposes. Since I don't plan to subscribe, I was thinking - if that's it's only function, I'll unscrew the rod antenna. Then, since I won't need it, it wouldn't interfere with the fitment of the car cover.

I've since discovered/concluded the purpose and design of the combo windshield antenna and the roof mounted rod antenna:

The proper name for the windshield antenna is an "in-glass diversity radio antenna."

What it is/it's function:

"A diversity antenna system uses two antennae mounted at different locations on the vehicle and automatically chooses one that provides the better FM radio signal. The customer is therefore less likely to notice static or weak audio signals due to obstructions."

So, I solved my own query. I will need the rod antenna. The car cover will remain ill-fitting ~ james

·
Registered
224 Posts
have you tried pushing the rod antenna forward to where it is parallel to the roof of the vehicle providing a lower profile for the car cover?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
McLeod1981 wrote: "Have you tried pushing the rod antenna forward to where it is parallel to the roof of the vehicle providing a lower profile for the car cover?"

Doable with certain models. The rod antenna on my LS Hatchback doesn't fold to the front {to lie parallel with the roof line}. It's 'fixed' - won't fold. Yet, My neighbor's 2011 Versa sedan has one that does exactly as you suggested - it folds forward??? ~ james

·
Registered
224 Posts
yea kind of funny. Don't really understand the thought process behind that my self but oh well.

the in-glass antenna on the windshield does it follow the entire perimeter of the windshield and come up/down the middle of the windshield if so i think you might have front windshield defroster built in similar to the rear glass/hatch window.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Mine moves forward, so it becomes like flat, then in reverse to stick up and out into the air. Mines an 09.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea kind of funny. Don't really understand the thought process behind that my self but oh well.

the in-glass antenna on the windshield does it follow the entire perimeter of the windshield and come up/down the middle of the windshield if so i think you might have front windshield defroster built in similar to the rear glass/hatch window.
The windshield antenna occupies a section 'about' 12 inches long, 5 inches high between rear-view mirror and top. It's full of what looks like hundred of small black dots.

McLeod1981, you sent me a private message. Firefox blocked it. By the time I 'adjusted' Firefox, it disappeared. Do you mind re-sending it?

james

·
Registered
446 Posts
The windshield antenna occupies a section 'about' 12 inches long, 5 inches high between rear-view mirror and top. It's full of what looks like hundred of small black dots.
I thought those dots were to dark the area behind the rear-view mirror, providing better visibility. Similar to baseball players putting black under their eyes.

I could be totally wrong, feel free to laugh if I am.:lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts