Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I live down here (NOLA) and all I can say is this - does anybody besides myself notice the smell of Facism that has started to overtake America?

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Personally, I don't like how the US is being run currently. The fact that the government has grown substantially bigger with all these social programs and the afghanistan war hasn't ended yet. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I find it funny that a government founded on the principle of remaining small and allowing states to mandate their own law (check your 10th Amendment) is now the largest governing body in the world.

·
Registered
294 Posts
yeah, i live in Az and i'm pretty irritated by that new bill that will take in effect in 2 days. I don't know how else to put but racial profiling people, but they say it's not that. Please tell me what an immigrant looks like then?

I tell you, sometimes the world makes me mad

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, profiling happens every day. And I hate to put it this way, but every single one of us is at fault and does it. Aside from the immigration you tend to profile every person you meet. I know all to well how the law does it. Long hair and being in a rock and roll band has had me face down on pavement while cops called out drug dogs and all kinds of bs. And as far as immigration goes, well I tend to see 3-4 bus loads get sent back to the border weekly. Point is profiling, while wrong is a part of everyday life and almost human nature.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Unfortunately, profiling happens every day. And I hate to put it this way, but every single one of us is at fault and does it. Aside from the immigration you tend to profile every person you meet. I know all to well how the law does it. Long hair and being in a rock and roll band has had me face down on pavement while cops called out drug dogs and all kinds of bs. And as far as immigration goes, well I tend to see 3-4 bus loads get sent back to the border weekly. Point is profiling, while wrong is a part of everyday life and almost human nature.
I get where you're coming from, but this bill just makes racial profiling legal. I know it wouldn't the first time a cop has racial profiled somebody, but this just makes it legal. They say they will take proper procedure and are signs of how one can tell if they are an illegal immigrant... BULLSHIT!!!!

This was just a stupid way, i guess i could see the fuss about illegal immigrants but i am sure there is a better way to handle it then this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I totally agree with you, profiling a person should only be done with reasonable suspicion, in my case I'm a long haired musician, of course they are gonna check me over for drugs I totally understand that, reasonable suspicion based on my looks and stereotypes. But at the same time, had I been wearing a polo and slacks I doubt I would have received half the hassle.

What this has essentially legalized is racial profiling. Cops will be pulling over every latino person they see to check for citizenship or green cards.

·
Registered
294 Posts
as you being a musician they are already stereotyping already! Thinking every person with long hair who is a guy or a girl who dresses up like a Hippie has drugs with them at all times. How is that not stereotyping someone? They just did, i'm sure it would be a different story if you had a clean cut, business suit or even those expensive clothes that make you look preppy or whatever and they wouldn't say anything. That can't really be a good "reasonable suspicion" this would be a good one. A person who appears to be under the influence of any kind of drug or liquor and seems to be a threat to the public would be "reasonable suspicion". Some one who appears to be doing some illegal activity such as selling drugs or something is way better then stereotyping.

it's saddens me to see what America had done the extent of stereotypes and how people have become so ignorant.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
They won't profile you everytime or at all, they'll only profile those who 'appear' suspicious or may not be from the US. There has to be some kind of training to determine who to question.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not everytime Dave, there are cops out there who accept whats right for some isnt for others etc. But if you fit a particular stereotype it only raises the chance that they will profile you.

As I said before - profiling is simply in human nature. You do it subconsciously. For example and I know this for a fact - I met a doctor who admitted off the record to partaking in narcotics (MJ, coke), but looks very clean cut. Where as another local musician I know has uncontrollable periodontal disease and his teeth are in horrible horrible shape. But he has never done a single drug in his life, big time anti-drug. But if a cop looked at both of them he'd be the one singled out for drug use cause he appears to have "Meth Mouth"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm trying to remember what the documentary was but anyways to summarize.

Two guys decided to walk across country wearing orange jumpsuits (prison orange) in protest to Guantamano Bay and the Middle East "wars." They took a camera to record every event that happened to them (and also for safety) along with all their paperwork etc. They were physically harassed (one video camera was smashed to pieces by a cop) and 9/10 of the cops demanded they turn off the camera or not point it at the officers face/identification (TOTALLY ILLEGAL). And it was like this almost everywhere they went. They were peacefully protesting, just walking with a "peace" sign.

America used to be a place where we were proud to be diverse and it only strengthened us, now if you dont agree with everything your government says you can technically (by law seriously thank "Patriot Acts 1&2") be sent off to an interment camp as a "Domestic Terrorist."

All I can say is as an American I am disgusted with how we dont have enough knowledge of the laws passed by the government to protect our own rights because Lord knows the government doesnt care in the end.

And as a final to this post I'd like to quote a friend of mine -

"During the American Revolution Patriotism was defined as standing against run-away government and standing for what you believed in regardless of what the consequences were. Patriotism in the 21st century has been rewritten to mean standing by your government no matter what outrageous act they do."

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I see it this way, you can thank the people who voted the people in office regardless of political affiliation. They are the ones who started it all!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regardless of who was voted in there will always be corruption - that is why it should be law that every US citizen who has voting rights be well versed in the law of the land. Thats my person opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts