Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
almost everyone had the hr16de at 86kw for the past couple of years. The HR16DE in this years models and cars soon to be released are stating 93kw. I can only think that link from aichikikai is just old and outdated. I remember looking at that same page from them a year or two ago.

Here is a pic of an HR16de with 93kw. I see one big difference, there might be more. I know of a few tuning companies that get up to 125bhp/ 93kw with tuning alone on the older HR's so I agree that the CVTCS being tweaked for more power is doable. All the companies mention adjusting the CVTCS. The engines coming with the 93kw stock are all twin CVTCS with dual injectors just like our current Versa and Note.

i can spot one other difference compared to our HR16DE's in that picture also...if you look closely there is definitely a size difference in the throttle body compared to ours, looks like they went with a larger throttle body for the newer design if im not mistaken

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
993 Posts
What ever happened to a good old 2.0L turbo. Seems like every manufacturer used to have one now almost no one does.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What ever happened to a good old 2.0L turbo. Seems like every manufacturer used to have one now almost no one does.
They still do but we are seeing smaller engines now for whatever reason. Either taxes, emissions, efficiency or cost to build. But there are still a ton of 2.0t's.

Some with 2.0t are hyundai, ford, cadillac, audi, subaru, and mercedes. The last one being the most beastly 2.0t ever made. Mercedes really knows how to squeeze some power out of an engine. There are probably more but that was off the top of my head.

Nissan has a 1.2t and a 1.6t currently. The new Z is coming with a turbo 4 cylinder and I highly doubt it will be a 1.6 so hopefully Nissan will have at least a 2.0t soon. Knowing them it will be a 1.8. They love the tiny underpowered 4 cylinder these days. Strange since they used to be on the other end of the spectrum in the 90's. Now nissan just seems to make big power out of the VQ v6 engines. Wish they put half that effort into a 4 cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not from the US but here is a blue SR from the Toronto motor show. Only posting because I have only seen this in red thus far.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Note SR review

Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Versa Note SR - Autos.ca

Some quotes from review by Brendan McAleer

So it’s practical, and looks a bit sporty, and might even have your neighbour saying, “Hey, nice new car.” So far so good.

it is a little bit too far on the cheap side. True, this is the low end of the market

Overall though, when judged against the competition, the Note provides excellent levels of passenger comfort, with a nice upright driving position, and relaxing ride.

One principal reason to buy a Note over a Micra is the availability of a continuously variable transmission. Few enthusiasts like these, preferring a manual gearbox or at least a paddle-shifted dual-clutch, but the fact is, a CVT can be quite nice if you drive it properly. Which is to say, slowly.

It looks sporty enough, but is entirely well-mannered – in a boy-band, it’d be the one with the leather coat and brooding look.

Thanks Brendan for a tell it like it is, thorough article! 08versailles

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's how I drive my CVT Versa, slow and steady. Unlike a geared auto the CVT will lower RPM's as it adjust for maximum economy and power.

A CVT is engaging despite what the auto press says. You have infinite gear ratios your right foot is the key how can it not be engaging? I use the tach more on my CVT Versa then I ever did in any geared auto I drove. Whether being able to get the RPM's to drop or find a point on the tach to get maximum power and hold it there so much control.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's how I drive my CVT Versa, slow and steady. Unlike a geared auto the CVT will lower RPM's as it adjust for maximum economy and power.

A CVT is engaging despite what the auto press says. You have infinite gear ratios your right foot is the key how can it not be engaging? I use the tach more on my CVT Versa then I ever did in any geared auto I drove. Whether being able to get the RPM's to drop or find a point on the tach to get maximum power and hold it there so much control.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
:iagree::hurray:

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
The reviews are rolling in and just like almost every other Versa review since 2007 it is not well received. Damn nissan for not offering a manual in a sporty version of their econobox.

2015 Nissan Versa Note SR CVT Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

0-60 in 9.9 and the 1/4 @ 17.6. That is pretty slow these days :(.

2015 fit with CVT runs to 60 in 8.8 seconds and burns through the quarter at 16.6.

This car deserves a 6spd transmission and a few more ponies to match it's looks. Because I personally think the Note SR looks better than the new fit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The reviews are rolling in and just like almost every other Versa review since 2007 it is not well received. Damn nissan for not offering a manual in a sporty version of their econobox.

2015 fit with CVT runs to 60 in 8.8 seconds and burns through the quarter at 16.6.

This car deserves a 6spd transmission and a few more ponies to match it's looks. Because I personally think the Note SR looks better than the new fit.

not trying to brag here, but with the right upgrades the Note either matches or beats the fit....i went on a canyon run this weekend with a group of 350/370Z's and was consistently having to push them through the corners. when they were trying to lose me at the straights i would just catch back up in the corners and be right on their butts, had quite a few Z drivers tell me they were surprised that my car kept up with them in the corners. in other words, the Note can be an extremely fun car in the handling department.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only reason I feel that the Note gets hated on a bit is for the bland interior and less standard options then most cars. I honestly don't mind the interior at all and I'm sure as times goes on Nissan will add more standard equipment to the Note. If we could get a small bump in power and a 6 speed manual, I'd be a very happy Nissan owner.

·
Registered
519 Posts

]
Other than the comments on the new SR trim, there is nothing new I have not heard before. Not a surprise considering there is nothing new with the 2015 other than the SR trim (ok the dash is new).

Before I bought my note, I think I read all the reviews written about it online which were a mixed bag. Some were this bad but some comments were halfway decent. This intrigued me more to find out for myself what I thought about the car. So far, I still love the Note

As I mentioned elsewhere, if power and 6 speed stick is what you're after, go elsewhere. The Fiesta ST/Fiat Abarth would be good alternatives.

Also I believe a few years back the Nissan SR badge meant something in the performance department. Now it is strictly a trim level which is very disappointing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Other than the comments on the new SR trim, there is nothing new I have not heard before. Not a surprise considering there is nothing new with the 2015 other than the SR trim (ok the dash is new).

Before I bought my note, I think I read all the reviews written about it online which were a mixed bag. Some were this bad but some comments were halfway decent. This intrigued me more to find out for myself what I thought about the car. So far, I still love the Note

As I mentioned elsewhere, if power and 6 speed stick is what you're after, go elsewhere. The Fiesta ST/Fiat Abarth would be good alternatives.

Also I believe a few years back the Nissan SR badge meant something in the performance department. Now it is strictly a trim level which is very disappointing.
that would be the SE-R badge, the SR they just started using within the last couple of years, now they are using either Nismo or Nismo RS to designate their more performance oriented trims on their model lineup.

·
Registered
519 Posts
that would be the SE-R badge, the SR they just started using within the last couple of years, now they are using either Nismo or Nismo RS to designate their more performance oriented trims on their model lineup.
I stand corrected Note, got SE-R and SR confused. Kinda new to this Nissan thing.

I suppose everyone including Lexus seem to have a "sporty variant", like their F-Sport line is strictly a sporty trim package with no powertrain performance improvement. Must be the new trend nowadays.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I stand corrected Note, got SE-R and SR confused. Kinda new to this Nissan thing.

I suppose everyone including Lexus seem to have a "sporty variant", like their F-Sport line is strictly a sporty trim package with no powertrain performance improvement. Must be the new trend nowadays.
pretty much hit the nail on the head right there lol

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
not trying to brag here, but with the right upgrades the Note either matches or beats the fit....i went on a canyon run this weekend with a group of 350/370Z's and was consistently having to push them through the corners. when they were trying to lose me at the straights i would just catch back up in the corners and be right on their butts, had quite a few Z drivers tell me they were surprised that my car kept up with them in the corners. in other words, the Note can be an extremely fun car in the handling department.
I don't doubt it handles rather well. Even in stock form I know small light cars are a blast to drive in the corners. But imagine all that fun with a little more oomph on the straight aways! I would buy a Micra right now if I could. Even with the same engine it's slightly smaller and a couple hundred pounds lighter. Bet that is even more fun to drive.

The only reason I feel that the Note gets hated on a bit is for the bland interior and less standard options then most cars. I honestly don't mind the interior at all and I'm sure as times goes on Nissan will add more standard equipment to the Note. If we could get a small bump in power and a 6 speed manual, I'd be a very happy Nissan owner.
I like the SR interior. If it had the digital climate control, extra storage, and the quirky rear folding seats that come on other nissans with this same interior it would be a homerun for me.

I shouldn't have to go elsewhere is my point. Nissan has a competent engine and transmission available that would put this Note near the top of the pack. They just don't offer it. I know there are other options out there. I am just wishing nissan made this car that way. I'm a nissan fan and these forums are a place for me to rant, wish, hope, dream. The car with the HR12DDT engine and 6spd manual wouldn't be any more expensive since manual transmissions I guess are cheap to produce, offsetting the cost of the more advanced engine. But I also know it won't sell in high numbers and that is what nissan is all about. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess since nissan sold like 17k versa's last month.

·
Registered
519 Posts
....The car with the HR12DDT engine and 6spd manual wouldn't be any more expensive since manual transmissions I guess are cheap to produce, offsetting the cost of the more advanced engine. But I also know it won't sell in high numbers and that is what nissan is all about. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess since nissan sold like 17k versa's last month.
I think this is exactly Nissan's point. The Versa is the best selling sub-compact by far for the past several years and apparently their formula is working.

It is an economy car after all, bought by people who treat their cars as appliances. Unlike us, these customers do not have the passion and they don't go to the forums to rant and rave about their beloved car.

How many additional customers you think would Nissan pick up if they offered a car like you are talking about? I would guess a couple of thousand at most, probably not worth the trouble at that rate.

The only thing I'm puzzled with Nissan's strategy, considering the Versa is an economy car, why is the manual trans only offered on the S line, forcing people to put up with manual windows, etc. if you want to row your own. I thought I read somewhere, starting in 2015 they will offer manuals on the SV line. I hope that's true.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts