Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this article, it states that using E15 fuel in your vehicle may damage it if it's a pre-2001 vehicle. Meaning that if older than a 2001, it's not recommended for use. So far, majority of Versa owners did not have problems with the engine or how lean the fuel burns using 10% ethanol. Another contributor for the lowered MPGs is the possiblity of 10% ethanol mixed with gasoline, which some Versa owners are experiencing.

Study Warns of E15 Fuel Dangers - KickingTires

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well non-ethanol fuel will always be preferable but I have a huge difference using pure gas as opposed to ethanol

Using ethanol I always get 28-29 MPG, every-time over countless tanks (I check each fill-up).
Using non-ethanol I get 32-34 MPG, which is nearly a 15%+ increase in fuel economy or what I'm suppose to be getting anyway lol :)

Regardless of what they tell you, ethanol became mandated in fuel to both stretch out fuel and get slightly more money in the long run and to increase the sell of corn.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
found a 100% pure gasoline gas station by just randomly pulling into a gas station and I was like..wow!!!!

I normally get 36 to 37MPG with 89 10% ethanol, lets see what MPG I will get this time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Of course, where I live it would be pointless for me to get 100% gas. The closest one is 35 min. away. Arrg! Such is life. Maybe I will get one closer.... *keeps fingers crossed*

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, my relatives are farmers and finally they are making some dough. The reason for ethanol push is to stretch out fuel reserves. That should make the conservatives happy more money for the working rich.

Also soybeans are a big part of diesel usage now. Soybeans are around 13.00 bushel. Before biofuels soybeans were 6.00. I will never be an opponent to biofuels they help the working people.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Instead of trying to "strech" our gas fuels let's turn the focus on eliminating gas. Like more electric cars, H2O cars, etc. Things that will be more friendly for the environment. The gas companies are too greedy, hence no big increase in cars with higher mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, my relatives are farmers and finally they are making some dough. The reason for ethanol push is to stretch out fuel reserves. That should make the conservatives happy more money for the working rich.

Also soybeans are a big part of diesel usage now. Soybeans are around 13.00 bushel. Before biofuels soybeans were 6.00. I will never be an opponent to biofuels they help the working people.
A. Why get political?

B. I'm not sure what your saying makes sense/is consistent with itself.

Can you help me with B? Only rich people grow corn?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, my relatives are farmers and finally they are making some dough. The reason for ethanol push is to stretch out fuel reserves. That should make the conservatives happy more money for the working rich...
My experience with 10% ethanol is it reduced my gas mileage a solid 20%. I just got my Versa so I'm not sure what the impact would be with this car.

Based on that; it logically follows that I'm burning more pure gasoline per mile when using the ethanol blend. For example:
10 gal pure gas @ 24mpg will take me 240 mi.
11 gal 10% ethanol fuel (10 gal gas + 1 gal pure ethanol) @ 20 mpg takes me 220 mi

To add insult to injury - I've found the ethanol fuel typically costs the same or more than pure gas. So, even at the same price (using $4/gal for easy calc.) I spend $40 for 10 gal of pure gas and $44 for 11 gal. of the blend. That works out to:
$40 to travel 240 miles = $0.17/mile
$44 to travel 220 miles = $0.20/mile

Therefore, I'm spending more money for each mile I travel and I'm using more of our natural resources (oil/gas) in the process.

Maybe there is an air quality component that's not factored into this? It certainly benefits "Big Corn". I can't seem to make it work financially.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Instead of trying to "strech" our gas fuels let's turn the focus on eliminating gas. Like more electric cars, H2O cars, etc. Things that will be more friendly for the environment. The gas companies are too greedy, hence no big increase in cars with higher mpg.
We all have dreams. If we all had flat lithium batteries in our cars to store electricity during our commute, we could plug those battery packs into our existing current in the home and save countless dollars that way. But our society says we are not ready for that technology. In reality, the energy companies are not ready for us to use newer technology to save energy. We all have dreams, but dreams are only dreams.:)

I get 34 mpg using ethanol based fuel. I drive the 4at at 2800 rpm at 70 mph. I don't punch the gas pedal probably because I am not in commuter traffic. If I had to commute to work in heavy traffic, I would have a Prius. The government should give tax breaks on commuters using hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles. When driving for a living, I get health problems from all the noxious fumes in the air. We could hope for better mpgs with ethanol based fuels, but have to think that ethanol free gas might be more expensive in certain markets. Taking away the thought that those fuels save money with higher mpgs. I read these threads and they sometimes seem to have hidden political vues. I don't vote because both parties don't represent the working class. I hope someday they both rot in hell.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Good point, I guess they could. Chevy invented the Chevy Volt, but it still needs gas and the only reason they did that is, IMO, fuel stocks. that's why gas prices can't just drop too much because their stocks will drop too and not make more money.

Nissan is Japanese so they use nuclear reactors, that's why they invented the Nissan leaf...lol :shrug:

The U.S has too much red tape, money to invest on global warming, and environmentalist to even think about Nuclear power, but in a way is good bc it helps preserve our natural resources :blue flower:

10% ethanol helps stop :rolleyes5: Global :rolleyes5: Warming :rolleyes5:

Cheers! :cheers2:

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of you guys sound like environmental wackos, let the oil companies drill for more oil. There's plenty of it available, utilize what's there. The entire green movement is such a joke.

Half tempted to move this to the political section.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Some of you guys sound like environmental wackos, let the oil companies drill for more oil. There's plenty of it available, utilize what's there. The entire green movement is such a joke.

I agree 100%. You want to drive a Prius? Fine, thats your choice. But don't be smug about it, or walk around thinking your helping the environment. Maybe if they saw the nickel mines that the materials to make their battery packs (which have an expiry date) come from, and the damage the runoff from them does to the environment, it would wipe that smug grin off their faces.

I will drive gasoline/diesel burning vehicles until the day I die.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Wackos? At least "wackos" are around to keep ya entertained. :biggrinjester:
I do see your point about the oil companies. And I'm certain that it will be years before a major increase in the "green movement."
I'm a hippy at heart, but not crazy. I am perfectly fine with driving gas. I wouldn't mind a green car. But who knows when and if the U.S. will follow (or the world).

Iceland phasing out fossil fuels for clean energy - CNN

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Wackos? At least "wackos" are around to keep ya entertained. :biggrinjester:
I do see your point about the oil companies. And I'm certain that it will be years before a major increase in the "green movement."
I'm a hippy at heart, but not crazy. I am perfectly fine with driving gas. I wouldn't mind a green car. But who knows when and if the U.S. will follow (or the world).

Iceland phasing out fossil fuels for clean energy - CNN

the best way to go green, is riding bicycles

now that's green right there :thumb2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
the best way to go green, is riding bicycles

now that's green right there :thumb2:

True. However I am not riding my bike to work. I live 33 miles away, and I have to take the Interstate. If I could use my bike to go to work etc I would. But for me and where I live it would cut into my time/schedule to do other things.
But for those who can... :thumb2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.