Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips or suggestions for vehicle storage? Say 3 months or more of non-use of the car. Possibly not even starting the car for that long. What have you guys done/do in the past for storage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have one. I'm going to raise the car and put it up on jack stands so the tires don't go flat or get flat spots. Stabil for the fuel in the tank. disconnect the battery terminals and put the battery on a tender. Give the car a detailed cleaning including the interior with Armour All. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just a thought about armour all... I used to use it and found that the interior, although would be super clean at first, got dustier faster. A detailer told me to just use a damp cloth and since then I have never looked back.

As for storing it, I have left cars for 2 - 4 months without doing anything with them before. One time it was a 14 year old civic too. Never had a problem, always started right back up after. I would be more concerned about sticking calipers than anything. I would be a little concerned leaving it on jack stands for that long because the suspension would be out of its normal range for a long time, then all of the sudden it would be back to normal use. Seems like that would be asking for the seals in your shocks to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A friend of mine stored a car for over a year and did nothing to prep for storage. We drained the fuel tank, changed the oil and coolant and replaced the battery and it started after the second crank. I would use stabil and change the oil. Then drive it for a few miles to get the stabil in all of the fuel system and to lubricate the engine with fresh oil. Then put it away for storage.

·
Banned
455 Posts
A friend of mine stored a car for over a year and did nothing to prep for storage. We drained the fuel tank, changed the oil and coolant and replaced the battery and it started after the second crank. I would use stabil and change the oil. Then drive it for a few miles to get the stabil in all of the fuel system and to lubricate the engine with fresh oil. Then put it away for storage.
I know u said only three months but I would highly recommend doing this....maybe if u start the car once a week then don't worry bout it...but if ur not then I would look into it.

Also be careful with armor all guys...it does look nice but it has been know to cause issues with the dash..as in cracking un-normal ware and fading...my friend haas a 03 dodge ram who dash is cracked and dried out from years of armor all use..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might be going to another state or even out of the main land for 3-5 months and won't be able to start it once a week etc.

Didn't know about long term damage with constant use of Armour All. I don't use it all that much but like someone mentioned before i do the wet rag thing to clean the dash and other items up.

I might lift the car just enough to get most of the weight off the tires but they will still have contact with the ground.

Thanks for the answers and replys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.