Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in my last semester as a criminal justice student. for the last 4 years I have been taking classes to prepare myself to be a police officer. I literally have 2 classes I'm finishing up this summer and then I'm done and off to find a job, but here's my problem: I don't wanna freakin do it anymore. I've been feeling kinda off for the last few weeks and I finally decided tonight that I'm done with it. I feel like its gonna be a miserable, thankless, depressing job and I can't handle it. It just kinda hit me tonight during my use of force class. My instructor was talking about a local incident that happened a couple weeks ago involving a standoff and he pointed out "These are the people you have to deal with every day." I just can't shake it now. I'm about to graduate college with a degree to work in a field that no longer appeals to me on any level.

So tomorrow I'm gonna march myself into the academic affairs office and ask for a change of major. I'll still get the CRJ degree but I'm gonna move on to something else. I'm thinking about automotive engineering. It sucks cause it feels like I'm throwing away the last 4 years of my life. Working on cars is something I love, but I'e never considered it as a career because I didn't ant my job to ruin my hobby.

I just needed to get that out. If you read, thanks for listening :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Just be glad man, that you're still at an age where you can change your career. If you decided to study automotive engineering, you can at least hopefully land a good part time job in the criminal justice field to pay the bills, until you get the degree that you really want. ps. went to ups again today, still waiting on the check. grrr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the same thing with my school career.

Right out of high school (2007) I went to college for architectural technology, it was a 3 year program with a year of co-op. the first two semesters went off without a hitch and I was really enjoying it. Then the hunt for the first placement hit and it was a little strenuous and out of my class of 65 I was one of 13 to find a job in the field. This job with a local company promised employment the following semester, but when the time came they were slow to answer my calls. So I had to go back to school and push for two back to back co-op sessions.
Luckily, my girlfriends dad was able to pull some strings and in January of 2010 I started a year placement (I had to wait for the classes I needed to be offered again) at a local architectural firm. At this point 2.5 years into the program which was supposed to be 3 years I was beginning to tire of the whole ordeal and started looking into university. As the year wore on I began to reaaaaally hate the job, the prospect of sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day 5 days a week plus expected overtime really didn’t appeal to me. I pushed my search for university into high gear and by the end of the year I had applied and had an offer of acceptance to the university of my choice.
I actually began my university career while I was finishing my Architectural diploma. Now 2 year has passed and thanks to acquiring enough transfer credits to count towards first year as well as full course loads throughout the summer I’m looking forward to graduating with a Bachelor of Arts, Honours History next September.

I know our stories aren’t identical but I know how you feel and it may seem daunting now but I really feel like it’s been the best choice for me and I hope you feel the same way too. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
I hear you man. Im on the same boat. I've been at my job almost 5 years(started at 16) and its pretty good/stable, I dont wanna be there all my life though, not as a cashier. I go to school as well but dont really know what I wanna focus on so Im taking basic courses at the moment. I wanna find my major soon though. Im only 21 but I dont wanna spend 10 more years in school. Its a though decision. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wondering why you don't apply at the department you desire instead of wasting time in college for a job that doesn't require a college degree for employment. If you're relatively smart and are in good physical condition, I don't see why you would have a problem passing the entrance exam and starting the hiring process. I only say that because I used to work for the L.a. Sheriff's and I didn't really see the point in going to college for 4 years for a job that will pay you for the same education you would get in college courses. I saw a lot of academy student get cut that had criminal justice degrees, it's a whole different ball game in the academy.

Just a thought, don't get discouraged from college courses, I would just go and apply now and see where you stand after that. You can always get your degree after you get hired and get that extra money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Happens to the best of us. I was originally a business major, switched to english, and then found out what I truly desired was the medical field. I am now working as an EMT about to go to Medic school. I am pretty sure I will end up doing my nursing afterwards. What's important is you found this out now. Carpe Diem buddy. You have only one life to live so make sure you are happy doing what you do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've taken 3 years of Animation, which is what I was interested in doing (developing games), and graduated with an AS, then looked for a job for 2 years, no luck, no back in school with 2 more semesters to go in IT, and getting my 2nd AS degree. During my 1st semester back in school, it felt super easy and the programming language just made sense, this is where I felt I wasted 5 years of doing something, but not the right thing. Now I can build a custom PC in 20mins, and this is what I really want to do.....hopefully the job market doesn't ream me in the ass again...NO HOMO!

·
Registered
261 Posts
If I had the time, maybe in the future, I wouldn't mind taking a few automotive courses, I love cars...I want to at least be able to tell if a car is running on less cylinders by ear.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wondering why you don't apply at the department you desire instead of wasting time in college for a job that doesn't require a college degree for employment.
Because around here departments won't hire you until you turn 21. I had to do something between high school and my 21st birthday (which is in a few months) and I figured I might as well go to school and get the degree. Started taking classes in high school and took summer courses to finish early. Plus with hoe competitive the job market is, I wanted to have every bonus I could on my resume. College, Internships, special certifications, the whole 9 yards. Now I just don't see myself doing it anymore.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Cycle of life man, you'll find something else that spikes your interest. In this case you already did, you like working on cars so go for it. Having the criminal justice degree will just be a plus and a back-up. It's like been bilingual, you get more opportunities when you have two or more at your disposal. Know what I mean. My whole point been, you're almost done so just finish it, otherwise you will always feel like what could of been.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Imo the people who appreciate law enforcement the most are the folks you are face to face with the least. So dont give up! If you dont at least give it a good go for a couple years i think you'll always be wondering...? My 2c 08V

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just think, as a cop, you are tasked to help people every single day, protect the community, and serve a purpose. Yes you may give tickets and get yelled at, and such, but you know you are doing something that keeps people safe.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel like I will be happier and be better as a mechanic. And I have the degree, so if I go through and get my ASE certification, I can work as a mechanic for awhile and then if I decide to, I can do the police thing. Right now though, I'm just not feeling it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You gotta do what makes you happy. Remember too, not all police go around giving out tickets, there are other areas once you get your foot in the door. Different task forces, like drugs, firearms, gangs, etc.

Having said that, I'm glad I waited to really pick/start a career until a few years after school. When graduation time was coming I had been contemplating a few options, and decided to go with none of them in the end. It was a toss up between becoming a paramedic or heading to university for geology. I couldn't really decide so I worked random jobs for a few years and did the whole travelling thing, did central/south america and one of my jobs took me all across Canada (literally every major city... my credit card bills were always awesome to look at and see were I had been that month lol). Then I narrowed it down to trying to get into a trade after a few years because I had been working in construction and general contracting, and a family friend offered me a job in hvac. Haven't looked back since! I never imagined that I would do this, and looking back I'm glad I waited for a few reasons. For example, as it turns out, I HATE shiftwork. So that would disqualify paramedic. Then, seeing how all of my cousins, most of which are older than me, that went to university (some even finishing phd's) STILL not getting a job in their field years after finishing. Even my father, who is a specialized engineer, tells me all the time how he wishes he had gone out and found a trade.

I know it can be frustrating, but hang in there and eventually you will find something you love doing... it sounds like you already may have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can still apply right now though. You have to be 21 at the time you're hired, but to apply and go through the hiring process you don't have to be 21. The hiring process takes at least 5-6 months. So you have plenty of time in between to go to school and start the application process. Plus you'll see how things work in the department just by getting your feet in the door. It's up to you though, but don't give up...keep at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
fukuyama310
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing