41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
HR16DE
4 speed auto

Summer
A/C On 95% of the time.

Driving Condition - Most intense traffic ever - driving like retard.
Worse than city driving also :p
TOO much start stop.
reach 4K rpm in no time.

Mileage - 25.43 MPG

Edit : Looking at the poll results, i made a rough spreadsheet.
I calculated the average MPG for each engine.
The method gives approximate results, however something is better than nothing :p
Link : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmrNV4JbUjQ_dHdkMzVqaTBlUmswVllHcUVjaTIwV3c

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
HR16DE
4 speed auto

Summer
A/C On 95% of the time.

Driving Condition - Most intense traffic ever - driving like retard.
Worse than city driving also :p
TOO much start stop.
reach 4K rpm in no time.

Mileage - 25.43 MPG

Edit : Looking at the poll results, i made a rough spreadsheet.
I calculated the average MPG for each engine.
The method gives approximate results, however something is better than nothing :p
Link : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmrNV4JbUjQ_dHdkMzVqaTBlUmswVllHcUVjaTIwV3c
Thanks for putting in the time to make the spread sheet. My mileage has dropped alot. Part due to cold weather, oxygenated gas and new larger wheels and tires. I am only getting 32mpg lately. Also it seems my initial numbers might be slightly higher then they actually are because the speedometer/odometer is wrong according to a new nissan recall. I am not all that happy about all this. I guess it is still good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wont winter increase mileage?
I heard colder temperature increases horsepower and economy.
I get better mileage in winter even with a/c on.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Wont winter increase mileage?
I heard colder temperature increases horsepower and economy.
I get better mileage in winter even with a/c on.
You are defying the laws of physics then. While you do increase HP with colder air it's because it is more dense your engine is adding fuel to keep the proper air/fuel ratio. If all things are the same you will get less mpg when it's colder out. If you get more then there is more to the story.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i get more! [i dont know how xD]
btw winters here means temperature 15-20 deg C when i start car.
summer here means temperature 35-45 deg C when i start car.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
well now I can see why you might get more when you tell me the temps. Your winter temps are perfect for driving while your very hot summers are causing your AC to be working overtime.

For people with below freezing winter temps where they change the fuel blend in the winter it's a totally different story.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i get more! [i dont know how xD]
btw winters here means temperature 15-20 deg C when i start car.
summer here means temperature 35-45 deg C when i start car.
That makes sense, 15-20 C are not exactly cold temperatures, it's probably ideal for driving without A/C and the engine cooling fan having to come on. I can understand why you would get more mpg.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
For people with below freezing winter temps where they change the fuel blend in the winter it's a totally different story.
that's where I'm at. even though i allow zero idle warmup, i'm still noticably below my annual average, currently about 39mpg imperial gallons for Jan

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have '12 Versa SV sedan with the CVT and the best I've ever gotten was 42.5mpg to a tank of gas when I was going to and from school in the mountains of PA! Lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
well now I can see why you might get more when you tell me the temps. Your winter temps are perfect for driving while your very hot summers are causing your AC to be working overtime.

Yes, I found this link that discusses RVP values... which I am trying to understand.

Winter blend gasoline rolling out, drops in MPG possible - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

Normal RVP values look like this:
January-March RVP is 13.5+ in many areas
April-September RVP is 7.0-9.0 in many areas
September-December RVP is 11+ in many areas

As temps warm, air pollution regulations mandate lower RVP numbers. The lower the RVP, the more expensive. Generally, a lower RVP will also indicate a slight increase in fuel economy.
Read more at Winter blend gasoline rolling out, drops in MPG possible - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2013 1.6 CVT automatic. City driving and some highway I get roughly about 35-36mpg. Just did a trip to georgia and back to nyc and I was maxing out at 45.1mpg and a steady 44.4-44.6mpg for highway driving on I95. Optimal MPH and not lose mpg is between 65-70. Anything after 70mph and the fuel efficiency just dies drastically.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have a 2013 1.6 CVT automatic. City driving and some highway I get roughly about 35-36mpg. Just did a trip to georgia and back to nyc and I was maxing out at 45.1mpg and a steady 44.4-44.6mpg for highway driving on I95. Optimal MPH and not lose mpg is between 65-70. Anything after 70mph and the fuel efficiency just dies drastically.
Great numbers. I found the same thing. After 70 you take quite a hit. Also for me hills hurt too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great numbers. I found the same thing. After 70 you take quite a hit. Also for me hills hurt too.
i found when im going up hills is when i get a .2 increase in mpg. going downhill is where i get a small drop in numbers but not much.

·
Registered
440 Posts
1.6 cvt sedan

Im getting roughly 31 mpg for 35-40% interstate and 55-60% city driving.

When I had 2k miles on it I drove 500 miles round trip on the interstate (70mph) and got 38mpg. Whenever I do the same trip lately I have gotten 35mpg. But, I think it is a combination of the high winds we have had and winter fuel.

I'll be making the same trip 3 more times in the next month and hope to see MPG increases with the warmer weather and hopefully summer fuel blend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dont know if others have done this, but when i do highway driving for extended time (2+ hrs imo) i tend to reset the mpg avg to get a better reading. i didnt do that and i was stuck on 36 mpg until i reset it.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
i found when im going up hills is when i get a .2 increase in mpg. going downhill is where i get a small drop in numbers but not much.
that is extremely odd and I don't even see how it's possible. Unless your accelerating faster down hill. But hey stranger things have happened.

dont know if others have done this, but when i do highway driving for extended time (2+ hrs imo) i tend to reset the mpg avg to get a better reading. i didnt do that and i was stuck on 36 mpg until i reset it.
I don't have a mpg meter since I have an older car. All of my calculations are done at the pump. I don't really trust those meters all that much. I have an altima coupe 2012 and that meter is always way off.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So for all the new people how about we get some more info for this poll?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Apparently my recent Fuel Log app entry I was getting 50 MPG!?

5-15-14
16523 mi
8.03 gal
39.87 MPG

5-25-14
16847 mi
8.27 gal
39.20 MPG

6-5-14
17129 mi
8.49 gal
33.20 MPG

6-15-14
17514 mi
7.62 gal
50.52 mpg

Then again I got a crappy 33 MPG on the previous one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 98 Posts