Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new and for the 99K miles I have owned this 2011 SL hatch, when I change the oil it always takes a 5 liters jug to barely get to the full mark on dipstick. I think that is about one qt. over what it is supposed to take (4 3/8 qts). I always use the correct small filter and check it on level ground. I have never heard anyone else talk about this and wondered what your experience is. Am I missing something here?
Thanks

·
Registered
939 Posts
No way could I possibly get nearly that much oil in mine, pretty much right on the book figure and I have a big chunk left in the 5 quart (not liter) bottle every single time. If truly 5 liter you should have even more left over.

You pretty much are locked into that small filter, I've looked into various interchanges and only a bigger one for a Porsche that might work and hard to find it. Much higher in price too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks amc49.
I double checked the jug of oil I used for the Versa and it was a 5 qt. jug and not 5 liters... doofus alert!
I did two cars yesterday and one was a 5 liter jug and one was a 5 qt jug.

Still, the car is showing right at the fill mark with the full 5 qts. That is over 1/2 qt. more than required. For some reason, it always shows 1/2 qt. low when I use the 4 3/8 fill. I have a Fram extended life filter on it now but have used many brands with the same result.

I'm asking about others experience because I know it isn't the best thing to overfill the crankcase.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You're not the first to say what you have............try checking the level for sure more than once, some cars if the tube seals well enough will set a bubble in the tube that pushes level down as you slide the stick the last way in and others can slightly vacuum the level up higher while pulling the stick out. If I think I'm getting erratic readings I sometimes flaw the seal or cut a small notch to leak air past it to leak the tube down. Then it becomes consistent.

Beginning to wonder if different casting or stamping pans from maybe a different vendor with slightly varying volumes in them too. No positive proof yet, but always possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah OP mine took 5.355qts to fill, after taking the pan off and cleaning out all the oil. (It was still dripping slightly after an hour of letting it drain with the pan off).

Amc i think your on to something, maybe we should check to see if there are different part numbers for different models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found a site that has OEM part numbers.
Nissanraceshopoemparts.com
It says my "lower" oil pan also fits on the 2.0L sentra motor.
PN# 11110-ET010
Mine is 2012 1.8L 6 speed
What is yours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Fatherof9
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing