Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading the owner's manual and it says:

To remove the filter from the air cleaner, release the retaining clips1 ,
then release the holders at the back of the unit.
Pull the unit upward2 .

I am not sure about the 'holders at the back of the unit', can someone point me where they are exactly :-( ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just reading the owner's manual and it says:

Pull the unit upward2 .

I am not sure about the 'holders at the back of the unit', can someone point me where they are exactly :-( ?

Thanks.
I second this question. I just tried to check mine, and the two front clips are easy to unhook, but I can't even reach my hand around the back. I did pull the top up enough to pull out the filter, but I'm sure that's not the best way. Also how often do you all change the filter? I was just at the dealer, and they told me it needed to be replaced. I didn't let them do it because I only have 10,000 miles on the car, and when I checked it, it looked brand new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second this question. I just tried to check mine, and the two front clips are easy to unhook, but I can't even reach my hand around the back. I did pull the top up enough to pull out the filter, but I'm sure that's not the best way. Also how often do you all change the filter? I was just at the dealer, and they told me it needed to be replaced. I didn't let them do it because I only have 10,000 miles on the car, and when I checked it, it looked brand new.

Im wondering the same thing... I just discovered that there was an in cabin air filter.

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
The clips are there you have to feel for them around back of the air box.

Look at the owners manual. It will have pictures of how to do everything you need and how many miles til replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The clips are there you have to feel for them around back of the air box.

Look at the owners manual. It will have pictures of how to do everything you need and how many miles til replacement.
He did look at the owners manual, that is why he posted.

This thread is relevant to 2012 ( at least some 2012 ), 2013 and 2014 Versa Sedans and the owners manual that goes with them.

These vehicles have a redesigned air filter canister and the owners manuals do not answer the question originally posted here, nor do the relevant owners manuals have pictures of the back of the air filter canister, which is why the original poster posted the question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The original, highly relevant question has not yet been answered for the vehicle(s) in question.

This thread is relevant to 2012 ( at least some 2012 ), 2013 and 2014 Versa Sedans and the owners manual that goes with them.

These vehicles have a redesigned air filter canister and the owners manuals do not answer the question originally posted here, nor do the relevant owners manuals have pictures of the back of the air filter canister, which is why the original poster posted the question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found the answer for the original two Questions above.

( Related to accessing the engine Air Filter on an 2012-2014 Nissan Versa sedan )

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan air filter , 2013 Nissan Versa Sedan air filter, 2015 Nissan Versa Sedan air filter

See below the following two quotes.

Just reading the owner's manual ( For a 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan ) and it says:
Pull the unit upward2 .

Thanks.
I second this question ( Regarding the 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan's Air Filter ).
I just tried to check mine, and the two front clips are easy to unhook, but I can't even reach my hand around the back. I did pull the top up enough to pull out the filter, but I'm sure that's not the best way. Also how often do you all change the filter? I was just at the dealer, and they told me it needed to be replaced. I didn't let them do it because I only have 10,000 miles on the car, and when I checked it, it looked brand new.
This information should be good for 2012-2014 ( mine was a 2013 ) Nissan Versa Sedan:

The front two clips ( front end of the air filter canister facing the front of the car ) on the Air Cleaner canister that holds the front of the air filter cartridge lid down are self explanatory, easily visible when working on the car, and also shown in the picture in the owners manual(s) for 2012 - 2014.

The back two (2) holders are the tough ones to figure out. No picture and it is impossible to see, and also to feel until the lid is loose on front and back.

The air cleaner canister does NOT have clips that must be released in the back. But it does have two rectangular tabs on the back of the lid that have a hook like shape on the top of the tabs.

Once the front two clips are loose and the front of the lid is loose, the back of the lid is still held in place by the back two hooked tabs and the large diameter hose that attaches to the side of the lid.

The lid must be lifted and rotated so that the hooks on the top of the back tabs of the lid rotate down and clear the tops of the holes they hook into on the back of the lower part of the canister. This is difficult to do and feels like you might break something if you rotate it too hard or in the wrong direction.

You just have to raise the front part of the lid a little farther than it feels safe and then rotate the back of the lid, down and out of the holes so that the hooks on the top of the tabs on the back of the lid clear the top of the holes and the lid can move forward. At which point the tabs come free of the holes and the entire lid can be lifted straight up ( as far as the connected hose allows ).

With out taking the hose lose on the side of the air cleaner lid, I do not believe the lid would ever come completely off.

This is not the best design in the world. Cleaning out the inside of the canister with a damp rag as recommended will be difficult with out the lid lifting completely off the bottom part of the air filter canister, and it has to put strain on the side hose every time the lid is opened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.