Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the polar vortex of 2021, I found the battery in my '07 Versa HB SL getting weak. I ended up going to Costco and buying a 51c Interstate battery to replace the five year old model. This seems to be about the lifespan of most batteries in my Colorado Nissan fleet, with hot summers and cold winters. The 51c model in the Versa is pretty small, but worked well up until we got sub-zero temps for the past week.

I'm wondering if other Versa owners are getting more or less years of service out of your batteries? Certainly, where you live and how you drive are factors in battery life, but has anybody else come up with other factors that help or hurt durability? Are there any battery brands you prefer?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Our 2015 1.6s sedan still has the OEM battery w/ ~51K miles on the ticker. The Buffalo area typically doesn't get hot, or stay hot for long. Extremes of temperature are extremely hard on automotive batteries, especially heat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our 2015 1.6s sedan still has the OEM battery w/ ~51K miles on the ticker. The Buffalo area typically doesn't get hot, or stay hot for long. Extremes of temperature are extremely hard on automotive batteries, especially heat.
I've been to Buffalo, NY in the winter (visiting Niagra Falls) and can't think of a COLDER place for that season. That's gotta put a strain on the batteries!

·
Registered
804 Posts
During the polar vortex of 2021, I found the battery in my '07 Versa HB SL getting weak. I ended up going to Costco and buying a 51c Interstate battery to replace the five year old model. This seems to be about the lifespan of most batteries in my Colorado Nissan fleet, with hot summers and cold winters. The 51c model in the Versa is pretty small, but worked well up until we got sub-zero temps for the past week.

I'm wondering if other Versa owners are getting more or less years of service out of your batteries? Certainly, where you live and how you drive are factors in battery life, but has anybody else come up with other factors that help or hurt durability? Are there any battery brands you prefer?
Usual life of a car battery is about 4-6 years depending on usage. Just replaced my Nissan brand battery that had been in the car for just over 5 years. Here in Jersey, the temperatures have been cold, and I noticed that when starting the car, the battery was just a little bit on the tired side. No sense trying to push it, and getting stuck in the middle a trip with a dead battery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Usual life of a car battery is about 4-6 years depending on usage. Just replaced my Nissan brand battery that had been in the car for just over 5 years. Here in Jersey, the temperatures have been cold, and I noticed that when starting the car, the battery was just a little bit on the tired side. No sense trying to push it, and getting stuck in the middle a trip with a dead battery.
Good call- when the Versa feels like it stops cranking quickly, the battery is usually the culprit. Mine felt sluggish after a -10 degree F night and I should've taken the hint right away. Since Costco won't swap batteries for customers, you have to pull them yourself and take the used one in to prevent being charged a $15 core charge. I do like the Interstate brand batteries they sell there- about $20 less than comparable models being sold at car parts stores. Another plus- a 36 month replacement warranty.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I live in eastern Ohio and winters are basically cold.

My car sits in the garage but I was able to find a battery cover blanket from an altima that fits perfectly. It fits tight and keeps the battery "warmer", at least it's more isolated that without the cover. It's very thick and covers sides and top.

It might help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For that price at Costco, it still a murder deal. Ive look at Autozone and Advance, the R series in our car. It has been 150-169 bucks. There is on OEM from dealer about 88 bucks. But seems like typically life of the Autozone and Advance are poor quality with hit and miss. Let me look at Costco see if they have it or not. I may go for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For that price at Costco, it still a murder deal. Ive look at Autozone and Advance, the R series in our car. It has been 150-169 bucks. There is on OEM from dealer about 88 bucks. But seems like typically life of the Autozone and Advance are poor quality with hit and miss. Let me look at Costco see if they have it or not. I may go for it.
Holy cow- I had no idea that AutoZone and Advance charge that much for replacements. I should also mention that Costco turns over their Interstate battery supplies on a regular basis. My Versa battery was labeled with a 1/21 build date, so it has a good, long warranty on it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2016 Versa S manual is still on the original battery. I am in Texas and the car sat for over a week in the very cold temps and snow. The summer heat here also kills batteries. I did start my car up today and it started right up without an issue. But I know going on 5 years I'll need to replace it soon. Personally I like the batteries at WalMart. I have had very good luck with them in past vehicles. They also get high rankings in several tests I've read. But that Costco deal is great. I'd jump on it if I had a Costco membership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
finally pick one up for $79 bucks. How did you tie down the 51R since we don't have the bracket over the new battery?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
finally pick one up for $79 bucks. How did you tie down the 51R since we don't have the bracket over the new battery?
You need the battery bracket to properly hold it down. Go to your local Nissan dealer and get the right parts ordered.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
16 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 2016 Nissan Versa S, last month. I got a T4 replacement battery at O'reilly's Auto Parts. The heat of the AZ desert kills most batteries in about 3 years.

I load tested mine and when it came up "Weak", I pulled it out before I started having issues.

I paid around $180, there is nothing else close to me... so I had to pay it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I replaced the battery in my 2016 Nissan Versa S, last month. I got a T4 replacement battery at O'reilly's Auto Parts. The heat of the AZ desert kills most batteries in about 3 years.

I load tested mine and when it came up "Weak", I pulled it out before I started having issues.

I paid around $180, there is nothing else close to me... so I had to pay it.
Man, sorry to hear that! It's one thing when you pay more than DOUBLE the price, but you'd think the battery was a bit better. In my experience, the batteries sold through auto parts stores aren't any better than the Interstate ones at Costco! While there might not be any Costco stores near you, it's almost worth it to pack a 10mm wrench and socket and get that tired 'ol battery to give you one more start to go to the closest Costco. Pay the $78 for the battery and the $80 membership fee and pick up some discounted groceries while you're there. You'll still be bucks ahead!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts