Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 2016 Nissan Versa S, last month. I got a T4 replacement battery at O'reilly's Auto Parts. The heat of the AZ desert kills most batteries in about 3 years.

I load tested mine and when it came up "Weak", I pulled it out before I started having issues.

I paid around $180, there is nothing else close to me... so I had to pay it.
I replaced my oem battery on my 2017 Versa in December I bought a Diehard Gold for $180. Ever since my mpg dropped by 9 mpg. No idea why...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I replaced my oem battery on my 2017 Versa in December I bought a Diehard Gold for $180. Ever since my mpg dropped by 9 mpg. No idea why...
I once believed in Diehard batteries 30 years ago, but they are about the same quality as most battery brands today. At a price premium of 120% over Costco, it's not worth it. The warranty on Interstate batteries is 3 years and if they go bad in that timeframe, Costco just refunds the cost and you buy another battery.

But having said that, there must be another explanation to a 9 MPG loss! That can't normally be attributed to a battery change. I just changed the sparkplugs over to fresh NGK rutheniums and got a better mileage at the 60K service..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe because of the winter. I read in the winter gas has some additives to prevent the fuel lines from freezing, so winter gas contains less energy. This makes MPG drop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Maybe because of the winter. I read in the winter gas has some additives to prevent the fuel lines from freezing, so winter gas contains less energy. This makes MPG drop.
Not to take this thread too far OT, but winter fuels are oxygenated to a higher degree to help lower emissions in cold temps. This helps the gas to burn cleaner, but it contains less chemical energy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
During the polar vortex of 2021, I found the battery in my '07 Versa HB SL getting weak. I ended up going to Costco and buying a 51c Interstate battery to replace the five year old model. This seems to be about the lifespan of most batteries in my Colorado Nissan fleet, with hot summers and cold winters. The 51c model in the Versa is pretty small, but worked well up until we got sub-zero temps for the past week.

I'm wondering if other Versa owners are getting more or less years of service out of your batteries? Certainly, where you live and how you drive are factors in battery life, but has anybody else come up with other factors that help or hurt durability? Are there any battery brands you prefer?
I
My 2012 battery just replaced by me got at Costco for 80.00

·
Registered
115 Posts
My brother has a Costco membership so I tried my local store. But I was told they don't carry the battery for my 2016 Versa S. Oh well back to WalMart when I need to replace mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello

you are talking about During the polar vortex of 2021, I found the battery in my '07 Versa HB SL getting weak.
I think you have to search google

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My brother has a Costco membership so I tried my local store. But I was told they don't carry the battery for my 2016 Versa S. Oh well back to WalMart when I need to replace mine.
Not sure where you live, but Costco is pretty uniform in the parts they carry. Unless the specs and dimensions of the 2016 battery have changed from my '07 model (9" X 5" X7"), the Interstate 51R should be in stock. Rather than pay 2X the cost, I'd try calling other nearby Costcos, or check with the manager of the store that said they don't carry the 51R.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
14 Posts
I checked Sam's Club before I went to O'reilly and they didn't have the T4. I'm not sure Walmart will have the T4 (exact replacement) as Sam's Club and Walmart are affiliates.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I checked Sam's Club before I went to O'reilly and they didn't have the T4. I'm not sure Walmart will have the T4 (exact replacement) as Sam's Club and Walmart are affiliates.
Let us know how much you paid for a T4. This thread is useful to know what the range of pricing is for batteries.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
14 Posts
Let us know how much you paid for a T4. This thread is useful to know what the range of pricing is for batteries.
I paid $180 at Oreilly's Auto Parts for the T4. It was an exact replacement for the OE battery.

For me, I had a hard time finding the T4.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A few things that will reduce the life are not cleaning up the blue/green/white fur off the top of the battery and terminals, and not having the battery secure. Don't skip the part of it being secure or it might not last. They don't like being jiggled around all the time.

A slipping belt on the alternator can fool you.

Aftermarket electrical accessories are by far the #1 reason for a parasitic draw. Especially remote starters. Nearly every time a car comes in needing repeat jump starts, it comes down to some aftermarket nonsense wired in that's causing the problem.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts

My local WalMart does carry my battery. Costco near me does not. I did not try Sams as I don't know anyone with a Sams membership. I also checked Costco online using my vehicle info. Online it also said they do not carry my battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An update- fuel economy now up to 31.7 mpg, which is still down but better. My plates come due in March so I had my emissions tested and everything passed so I'm guessing nothing serious is going on...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Still sounds low and can't be related to the battery unless something else was disturbed during that install. Does your state do an actual tailpipe test or based on the check engine light being on? In NY we don't hook anything up to the exhaust, it just passes if the light is off. The light turns on when the emissions exceed 1.5x the federal limit.

If you have a scan tool that reads live data, which can be had for about $15, will tell you how your mixture really is, live.

Low tire pressure and dragging brakes will crush your mileage too. You can't tell with the brakes unless you get the car in the air and spin the wheels by hand. Very common right now with people driving less.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts