Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
My versa 2010 SL 1.8 sounds like a diesel (this is on a hot engine, after driving for 20 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrDpjRs2gM

I can hear 2 noises, a higher pitch one (sounds like really loud injectors?), and a lower pitch, like knocking... Or maybe I'm just imagining things?

Is this normal? The engine got 86k kms on it.
My 2009 versa sedan had the same noise, and I brought it back to the dealer with the mileage at 33,000 miles. This particular engine develops a "piston slap" that can be heard easily when the engine is cold, and then faintly when the engine is warmed up. In my case, the noise increased in intensity each year to the point where I could no longer dismiss it, and had reservations regarding the longevity of the engine. I left the car at the dealer overnight, and then the next morning with the temperature at about 22 degrees, started the engine. The noise was easily heard with the human ear, and increased in loudness when the transmission was placed into gear. Long story short, the dealer replaced the engine with a new short block, under warranty, and the issue was solved. I have read some postings on this board where individuals had the same sound and racked up over 100,000 miles with no engine failures. In my case, the noise became louder with each passing year, and I was not going to risk having the engine fail just after the warranty expires. Good luck!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Did yours sound like my engine above?

Did the dealer ask for oil change proof?

I am considering bringing it in, but they want to charge 1hr labour ($150) just to take a look at it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I found a dealer that agreed to take a look, free of charge.

They said it's piston slap, and ordered a new short block. Should get it in a week or so.

When they put the new block in, do they change the fluids they drain (oil, coolant, etc), or they just put the old fluid back?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Update: I found a dealer that agreed to take a look, free of charge.

They said it's piston slap, and ordered a new short block. Should get it in a week or so.

When they put the new block in, do they change the fluids they drain (oil, coolant, etc), or they just put the old fluid back?
Glad the dealer did the right thing. In my case, all fluids where replaced with brand new fluids. The mechanic that diagnosed the old engine was the same mechanic that did the engine swap. He did a fantastic job. When I got the car back and took a look at the engine, it looked like it was factory installed. Not one thing left out of place or flapping in the breeze. If your job turns out to your satisfaction, and if you can afford to do so, it would be a nice gesture on your part to show you appreciation to the mechanic himself when you pick up your car. Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
tell him you will slip him a hundred bucks if he swaps in an MR20 instead.

·
Registered
226 Posts
tell him you will slip him a hundred bucks if he swaps in an MR20 instead.
haha, if they do that, they'll have a line of versa owners claiming piston slap, and probably get some funny looks from corporate

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha I wish! :)

I also noticed another weird noise on this car, and reproduced it for the them, but they were not able to figure out where it's coming from. They think its either engine or transmission, so they will wait for the short block to see if that fixes it.

The noise only happens when you let the car coast on a flat surface. Every once in a while it will make a grinding sound. Sounds like when your engine is running and you try to crank it again... lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
another user has this same issue. No one here has been able to identify it yet, let us know they find out with that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: I got the new short block, and after running about 800km on it, I did a cold start to listen, and the noise is gone. The engine is also much more smooth, so the brake pedal vibration I had before when sitting at a traffic light is also gone.

They also replaced one injector (for cylinder #3 , umm), a ton of gaskets, and left one ground wire out of place, touching my alternator belt :(

As for the other problem (grinding noise when coasting), this did not fix it, so I suspect it is coming from the CVT (some other forums for some other cars described this issue as well). The noise won't happen if I coast in neutral.

I will take it to the dealer again after the road trip, and see if they will change the cvt...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.