Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to my dealership for my first oil change of my 2013 sedan it has been about three months that I've had the car but my mileage is only 2750 or so, the technician told me to wait until 3750 at least and that the months don't matter but in the service manual it says three months or 3750 which ever comes first.

My older high mileage car I would religiously get the oil changed at 3000 sometimes earlier. 3750 seems long in tooth but I might just be paranoid, when did you get your first oil change?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I did my first oil change at the dealership just because it was a new car and I wanted to see how it all worked. I never had a new car nor an oil change done at the dealer. It was a waste of time and money.

I change my own oil every 10k miles with synthetic oil and a high quality filter. I use to do the 7,500 miles per the owners manual but decided to switch it to 10k even. With as much highway driving as I do this is perfectly acceptable. I should get an oil analysis done but I haven't yet.

I probably have the highest mileage HR16 engine in the US, maybe world LOL. My car is still extremely quiet and feels like brand new.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Rob, how many miles do you have now? I'm at 33K but I change my oil every 3 months so it usually gets changed every 2,2XX miles(more or less).

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I am just over 119k miles. I didn't have my recall done yet for the odometer so it will probably go down a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I do mine every 3k, 3500 at most.
that's like refilling your gas tank before empty but pouring out what's left in it before refilling in my opinion. But I know most people feel more comfortable with the old school 3k mile intervals. They feel that it will make their cars last even longer. I can see the theory in that. I myself don't enjoy working on the V or blowing the money. I say just follow the recommended intervals for your driving habits. I stretch it but am in no way recommending it.

In my old car the turbo G20 I would change every 5k miles. But I liked that car better :thumb2:. People swore I should change it more but after 160k miles of being turbo and 218k miles on the engine and chassis I sold her running like a top.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the first year of service covered. I had the dealer change mine after 3 months with like 3,500 miles on it......but I secretly changed it myself when the car had 500 miles on it. Just wanted to make sure the break-in materials or particles that werent captured by the filter were removed.

Because I have a lifetime warranty on the motor and CVT I can't do any of the service myself :( So, after my first year I will probably switch to full synthetic. In the Honda, I always change the oil myself every 3,500 miles and do a drain and refil on the tranny ever 15k.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My first one was done at the dealer at 2,500. I don't drive much, so I get it done around the time frame, and usually not the miles. I just had my third one done at 8,900. It may be overkill, but I like to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I used to change it every 3,000 miles but the oil was still looking good.

Now I change it every 5,000 miles and it looks darker.
5/30 valvoline and a valvoline filter

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I never go to Nissan anymore unless its for warranty or recall work.
I go to the same mechanic now for my oil changes. I am still on the same brakes (82,000 kms) and original battery. We are probably going to change my front brakes this spring, but that will be done at home.

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
that's like refilling your gas tank before empty but pouring out what's left in it before refilling in my opinion. But I know most people feel more comfortable with the old school 3k mile intervals. They feel that it will make their cars last even longer. I can see the theory in that. I myself don't enjoy working on the V or blowing the money. I say just follow the recommended intervals for your driving habits. I stretch it but am in no way recommending it.

In my old car the turbo G20 I would change every 5k miles. But I liked that car better :thumb2:. People swore I should change it more but after 160k miles of being turbo and 218k miles on the engine and chassis I sold her running like a top.
I have issues with my engine, after around 3k miles the motor starts to consume the oil. If I keep with fresh oil it doesnt consume it.

I noticed this because I would check it every other week or so, like stated before around 3k and beyond I saw the level getting lower and lower. I use to change it every 5k miles when I first got the car. The car has 47k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I have issues with my engine, after around 3k miles the motor starts to consume the oil. If I keep with fresh oil it doesnt consume it.

I noticed this because I would check it every other week or so, like stated before around 3k and beyond I saw the level getting lower and lower. I use to change it every 5k miles when I first got the car. The car has 47k miles on it.
That sucks. I would be changing it often too then. I would drive this versa off a cliff if it was burning oil at such a low mileage.

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
That sucks. I would be changing it often too then. I would drive this versa off a cliff if it was burning oil at such a low mileage.
I like the car but I'm not impressed with it by any means. Its reliable and has never failed me but its got some issues. I also have some head gasket seepage :sad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
that's like refilling your gas tank before empty but pouring out what's left in it before refilling in my opinion. But I know most people feel more comfortable with the old school 3k mile intervals.
Seems like all new cars have at least 5k oil change intervals on regular dino oil.

For expensive synthetic, I would wait at least 7500 miles if not 10,000.

I just check the oil level every time I wash the car which is a few times a month.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mileage is now 3083 and I went to check the oil and it’s like a clear brownish color, and it does not smell burnt or anything. Do you think I can stretch it out another 2-3 weeks until I can reach 3750 miles so I can keep the Nissan guys happy with it being on "schedule." Plus the temperature outside is starting to warm up if that matters.

While my vehicle is under warranty I just want to go by what they recommend and get the service done at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Seems like all new cars have at least 5k oil change intervals on regular dino oil.

For expensive synthetic, I would wait at least 7500 miles if not 10,000.

I just check the oil level every time I wash the car which is a few times a month.
Nissan is and has been for along time had 3,750 miles interchange or 7,500 miles depending on your driving habits. There is a questionnaire in the owners manual to figure out what you are. I had a 99 nissan that stated the same thing so it goes back quite a few years. This was all on regular dino oil.

I run my V 10k with synthetic and my driving style would normally be under the 7,500 interchange. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I blow my engine and if it was due to my oil change routine. :knocks on wood:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Changed oil yesterday at abt 2 months old and 1246 miles. Went with purolator one filter and Castro synthetic blend. Easy change besides the filter. Took me two trips to auto parts store to get right wrench to get off. The cap type wi t work due to no space to get a ratchet on it. The belt type didn't work for me. Had to get the type that looks like big pliers. Came right off. I tightened down by hand as much as I could then with the tool tightened about 1/8 turn more. All in all took 2 hours. Next time 30 minutes max like my other cars. Why so soon? I believe in that first change once break in is done on a new car. In our case that's 1200 miles. Next one will be about 5k miles totalk or 3800 on this change and I will go synthetic. After that prolly every 5k miles or 4 months whichever comes first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.