Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Last week, out of nowhere my GF's 2009 Versa 1.6 Sedan started making loud rattling noises. Especially when the car is at a full stop and in Drive, it gets noticeably louder. I inspected and it is the muffler moving around. When you accelerate the exhaust is very loud as well.

The dealer inspected it and said the mid pipe has a hole due to rust. Which makes sense as we live in an area that snows in the winter and with tons of salt on the road. Since the issue is due to rust they said it is not covered under the Muffler warranty and quoted around $1150 to repair.

Should I just take it to an exhaust shop to get the hole welded or do you think I should just order a Walker brand exhaust from Rockauto/Amazon? We would like to keep the car for several more years, it is currently at 47k miles total.

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you're wanting to keep the car for a while, I would probably suggest getting the new exhaust and make sure you give it some kind of protective coating. If you just patch the hole, you'll have to do it again, and again, and again, until you have no exhaust left. And then, you'll end up buying a new exhaust anyway :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just the one hole? No problem!

Step 1 - Drink a can of beer!
Step 2 (Optional) - Drink two or three more beers in case you need a spare can... :wink5:
Step 3 - Take an empty beer can and cut off the top and the bottom, then slice it down the middle.
Step 4 - Wrap your beer can piece around the exhaust pipe, covering the hole. Secure with two large steel hose clamps.
Step 5 - You are done! Bask in your girlfriend's gratitude of having fixed her car, and have another beer! :cheers2:

Note - A tin soup can tends to be a bit more durable than a beer can, but not as much fun.

Obviously I'm just being funny, mostly, on a nice car its worth fixing properly but depending on your time and available money and how scrappy the car is... I put a patch like this my girlfriend's brother's car like that 2 years ago and he is still driving around today like that happy as can be :smilielol5: true story

Ok, I'm done :chuckle:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hello,

Last week, out of nowhere my GF's 2009 Versa 1.6 Sedan started making loud rattling noises. Especially when the car is at a full stop and in Drive, it gets noticeably louder. I inspected and it is the muffler moving around. When you accelerate the exhaust is very loud as well.

The dealer inspected it and said the mid pipe has a hole due to rust. Which makes sense as we live in an area that snows in the winter and with tons of salt on the road. Since the issue is due to rust they said it is not covered under the Muffler warranty and quoted around $1150 to repair.

Should I just take it to an exhaust shop to get the hole welded or do you think I should just order a Walker brand exhaust from Rockauto/Amazon? We would like to keep the car for several more years, it is currently at 47k miles total.

Thanks!
If the pipe you mentioned is the one that runs from the catalytic converter to the muffler, I had mine replaced for about $550 at an STS. The flange that connected that pipe to the muffler had totally seized up and could not be reused. You could also try a muffler shop just to get a ball park figure. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're wanting to keep the car for a while, I would probably suggest getting the new exhaust and make sure you give it some kind of protective coating. If you just patch the hole, you'll have to do it again, and again, and again, until you have no exhaust left. And then, you'll end up buying a new exhaust anyway :D
Hello,

Thanks for response! I am just going to do it right and replace the midpipe since car is in great condition overall. I am going to order the WALKER 56222.

Does anyone happen to know which exact bolts, springs and gaskets I need to order for this particular car? I assume there are two gaskets for midpipe to muffler and then midpipe to cat? Are the bolts/spring kit the same for both sides or do I need certain ones for each side?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the pipe you mentioned is the one that runs from the catalytic converter to the muffler, I had mine replaced for about $550 at an STS. The flange that connected that pipe to the muffler had totally seized up and could not be reused. You could also try a muffler shop just to get a ball park figure. Good luck!!!
Yes, it is that pipe. I am going to lift up the car tonight and take a peak when GF comes home just to be sure as I have trust issues with dealerships. What exactly is an STS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes, it is that pipe. I am going to lift up the car tonight and take a peak when GF comes home just to be sure as I have trust issues with dealerships. What exactly is an STS?

Thanks!
STS was a company that ran a group of car repair shops in New Jersey. It has since been taken over by Mavis which is conducting business at the same locations. As I mentioned in my earlier post, you might want to go to a couple of muffler shops to get estimates for the repair. If you plan on tackling the job yourself, I would inspect the flanges you need to remove at both ends to insure that the bolts can be removed. In my case, the flange bolts and the flange itself at the muffler were rusted solid and could not be reused. Make sure that you have eye protection on when climbing around under the vehicle. The last thing you need is a piece of rust getting into your eyes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, I inspected the car today and indeed the mid pipe and flange of muffler is totally rusted and broken off. Just from touching it gently the rust was crumbling.

I ordered Walker Midpipe and Walker muffler. I got all the nuts and bolts, springs and gaskets. However, what bolts and nuts do I need that connect the muffler with the midpipe? Walker's website or even Nissan's Parts site strangely does not list it. :c(

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Update, I inspected the car today and indeed the mid pipe and flange of muffler is totally rusted and broken off. Just from touching it gently the rust was crumbling.

I ordered Walker Midpipe and Walker muffler. I got all the nuts and bolts, springs and gaskets. However, what bolts and nuts do I need that connect the muffler with the midpipe? Walker's website or even Nissan's Parts site strangely does not list it. :c(

Thanks!
Hopefully this will have what you're looking for ---> 2009 NISSAN VERSA 1.6L L4 Exhaust & Emission Parts | RockAuto

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
If you are or can fix it +1 for rockauto. Otherwise as long as you want a stock exhaust those muffler shops like Midas are great and honest at that. They will do what ever is easier rather its weld it up or cut and replace. They typically have a selection of straight pipe and a computerized bender and just pick your car and it bends the pipe to shape. :surprise

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are or can fix it +1 for rockauto. Otherwise as long as you want a stock exhaust those muffler shops like Midas are great and honest at that. They will do what ever is easier rather its weld it up or cut and replace. They typically have a selection of straight pipe and a computerized bender and just pick your car and it bends the pipe to shape. :surprise
Thanks for all your support. Ended up just getting Walker brand midpipe and muffler. A mechanic friend is going to install it for us. :c)

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Ive purchased walker parts to fix stock exhausts myself too. Most local auto stores have parts if needed like a flange or something. Me, I like nesting pipes and using clamps. >:D

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When it comes to exhaust hardware you commonly pay WAY too much (as much as 10X the real worth) for simple bolts if they are OEM, better to simply replace if possible with commonly available parts that could save easily a hell of a lot of money.

There is no 500 page exhaust small parts listing, commonly you are on your own there. The unitized part thing now has many of the small parts supplied with the pipes they go with, it gets bigger parts sales doing it that way. I myself generally use a well equipped hardware store to get bolts relatively for pennies as compared to what they charge on the general market.

I myself am used to paying maybe $150 max for pipe repairs not including cat but then I do all my own work. I HAVE done a cat for $150 (actually $100) before but a good while back. Wouldn't expect that now, manicats have changed that.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Depends on state too the car will be used in. Ive seen 49 state cats and 50 state cats. Im sure the cat on my 95 sidekick is shot, but I cant believe a replacement is under 100 bucks. Then again Ive never purchased or been told one has gone bad to compare prices. :grin

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Cheap cats are commonly 'universal' ones that require pipe cutting and clamping to fit, if you can do the work though you save a bundle. Custom fit to the car commonly cost more and may well include a pipe length welded on to simulate how the OEM breaks the exhaust system up in pieces. If a manicat they go even higher. Earlier single bed cats are cheaper than TWC ones.

Depends on what part of cat is failing, if not passing say NOx levels, then EGR may be at fault rather than cat itself. Most after about the late '80s are TWC (3 way catalyst) type, or NOx, HC, and CO treaters. NOx is commonly the front section since that requires close to zero oxygen, then an empty space where air is commonly injected to go to the last section which treats HC and CO, that section likes lots of air to complete the reaction.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello!

Just wanted to post an update, as a reference for others. Had a mechanic friend replace the midpipe (AKA Resonator) and muffler with the Walker parts for $80 labor. Car is fully quiet again!

Parts that fit:

1. Muffler - Walker 53847
2. Mid Pipe/Resonator - Walker 56222
3. Bolt Spring Kit - Walker 36454 (Note: These bolts are for midpipe in the front where it connects to the cat. This is not a true kit as it did not include 2x nuts. I bought OEM nuts from Nissan for $3.95. I should have just bought the nuts from the local Ace hardware store as there they were .50 cents each there.)
4. Once the Bolt Spring Kit comes in, take it to the local hardware store and match it up with a fully threaded but an inch shorter 2x bolts, 2x nuts, 2x washers and then 2x locking washers. Total cost for that was under $4. This will be to connect the midpipe to the muffler.

Parts that did not fit:

The Walker gaskets that were recommended by RockAuto and even on Walker's own website; 31615 and 31396 did not fit! 31615 which is gasket between midpipe and cat was way too thick. Even with alot of force it would not fit, we ended up just re-using old gasket since it was good enough and the Nissan dealership was already closed at time of install. 31396 was a stupid little ring design, technically this piece did work but if I had to do it all over again I would have purchased the proper gaskets directly from Nissan.

Total cost with labor was under $310 to fix this. Thank you everyone that responded once again for the assistance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts